Buying Used BMW Checklist

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've heard that the PDK is the best dual clutch automated manual. Quick shifting in all circumstances and very intuitive in seeminly knowing the driver's intentions. Wouldn't want to be in the position of having to repair any of these though... $$$. Conventional auto is simpler, well known in North America. Actually who in NA actually repairs DCT / DSG PDK?

Ah... OK. Any names?

Also, re the VW... DSG: it really needs a "tune" as it unceasingly tries to get to the highest gear, so quickly... The engine note is "grumbly" with each shift... and vibrations of the powertrain can ensue. Also, in Sport, it is insane. It keeps 'way too low a gear / 'way too high an rpm. I am told that a transmission tuner can lessen the normal mode tendency to get to high gear... and make the Sport mode altogether more useable by folks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cdn17Sport6MT
Ah... OK. Any names?

Also, re the VW... DSG: it really needs a "tune" as it unceasingly tries to get to the highest gear, so quickly... The engine note is "grumbly" with each shift... and vibrations of the powertrain can ensue. Also, in Sport, it is insane. It keeps 'way too low a gear / 'way too high an rpm. I am told that a transmission tuner can lessen the normal mode tendency to get to high gear... and make the Sport mode altogether more useable by folks.

Seriously? I mean is there anything you find appropriate for you? You worry about synchro in manual, synchro in DSG, now engine "note." Maybe try bicycle? But I bet you will find gear problems there too.
Or you can just buy a car and stop worrying.

I have a car... a '17 Mazda6 with a manual transmission... where my Transmission Control Module, AKA a brain, decides when to shift gears. Re the DSG, if you haven't experienced what I mentioned, above, re the DSG.... well, I guess some folks just aren't sensitive to these kinds of things.

Last edited:
The DSG will lug to save fuel or hold gears for performance.

There are plenty of DSG tunes on the market and there is also the option to shift manually. Not sure what you want, really.

For the DSG in normal automatic mode to be somewhat reduced in its propensity to upshift early and when in Sport to tone down the "hold lower gears" so long. In other words to make it more like a manual transmission driver (MOST manual transmission drivers) would drive it.

For the DSG in normal automatic mode to be somewhat reduced in its propensity to upshift early and when in Sport to tone down the "hold lower gears" so long. In other words to make it more like a manual transmission driver (MOST manual transmission drivers) would drive it.

You mean how you would drive it. Most are, I think, happy with it.

I take no issue with the factory DSG tuning.

Again, there are tuners and you could of course shift manually.

Well then, tuners for me...

Incidentally, there is some info out there that the strong tendency to upshift, and the way the driveline complains (by way of vibration) can exact a toll when it comes to component life... notably the nested dual clutch assembly.

This is the reference I meant to make... see graphic. I was wrong.. it makes reference to flywheel damage, not dual clutch damage.

TVS Fixes for the DSG.JPG

Last edited:
Well then, tuners for me...

Incidentally, there is some info out there that the strong tendency to upshift, and the way the driveline complains (by way of vibration) can exact a toll when it comes to component life... notably the nested dual clutch assembly.

What is tendency? There is no tendency, either it does or it does not. DSG like all modern ECU driven transmissions have a learning curve. No, DSG will not drop to 1,150rpm and stay there. How about you find used one and go for a test drive? Yes, all ECU driven transmissions will try to upshift early to save fuel. You can shift to S, you can do manually, but I personally did not find anything wrong with VW programming.

I can see that English is not your first language. Shall I instead use the word "propensity"? I stand by what I have posted.

No English is not my first language, and regardless of that DSG will not coast at 1,150rpm and regardless that English is my second language, you still need to go drive one and stop expecting that you will figure this out on the forums.
In the end, what is actually that you are trying to do? Are you interested in buying vehicle with DSG? What year? What model?

I am just very interested in DSG's, DCT's, and PDK's... and yes, I would consider a Jetta GLI with a DSG. My preference would be the 6MT - but my wife does not drive manual - and if I could come to the conclusion that a DSG would work for me, would be durable and long-lived - then I would maybe go in that direction. I shift my manual transmission at the rpm's that I find most folks do... and I would have to have a DSG tune to, as I said, ensure that the DSG would shift gear at the point that I would (in normal mode) - and I would want to have Sport adjusted so it is not so aggressive as I am told it currently is. But I do know that there are DSG Tuners out there - and I would not be afraid to use a reputable one.

I am pretty picky in regards to my transmissions and how they feel. If it is a manual, I want it to be butter-smooth. If a dual clutch automated manual - I want to be assured that I will be able to get many, many miles out of it (as it is a complicated transmission to have repaired). If it would be a conventional, torque-converter automatic - I would demand that it readily downshift with throttle pressure... and I would install bypass-type micro filtration + and auxiliary plate-type automatic transmission cooler.

I have always had a fascination with transmissions - all my life - and I am also very interested in automotive maintenance and methodologies for gaining long life out of all of the components of the car.

Last edited:
I am just very interested in DSG's, DCT's, and PDK's... and yes, I would consider a Jetta GLI with a DSG. My preference would be the 6MT - but my wife does not drive manual - and if I could come to the conclusion that a DSG would work for me, would be durable and long-lived - then I would maybe go in that direction. I shift my manual transmission at the rpm's that I find most folks do... and I would have to have a DSG tune to, as I said, ensure that the DSG would shift gear at the point that I would (in normal mode) - and I would want to have Sport adjusted so it is not so aggressive as I am told it currently is. But I do know that there are DSG Tuners out there - and I would not be afraid to use a reputable one.

I am pretty picky in regards to my transmissions and how they feel. If it is a manual, I want it to be butter-smooth. If a dual clutch automated manual - I want to be assured that I will be able to get many, many miles out of it (as it is a complicated transmission to have repaired). If it would be a conventional, torque-converter automatic - I would demand that it readily downshift with throttle pressure... and I would install bypass-type micro filtration + and auxiliary plate-type automatic transmission cooler.

I have always had a fascination with transmissions - all my life - and I am also very interested in automotive maintenance and methodologies for gaining long life out of all of the components of the car.

So, what stops you to go and try Jetta GLI? Yes, they will last for a long time. Few months ago I drove 2014 Audi S4 with 158k miles on it and DSG was shifting like new.
As for tuners, there are many, but usual suspect is APR.

Ok thx. I will have to contemplate what would happen if i try it and fall in love with it, hehe. Like whether I can afford it. Thx for APR - tuner name.

Life is too short to drive boring cars.
grin2.gif
19.gif

I'll just say that in 36 years of owning manual BMWs I have only rebuilt one transmission- the four speed in my E3 Bavaria- and that was the result of the PO running GL-5 oil in it. Every other manual ‘box has performed just fine.

Originally Posted by MCompact
I'll just say that in 36 years of owning manual BMWs I have only rebuilt one transmission- the four speed in my E3 Bavaria- and that was the result of the PO running GL-5 oil in it. Every other manual ‘box has performed just fine.

In 30+ cars I had, which most were manual I never had any failure except regular maintenance. I did not have automatic failures too since we are at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back