need a mini van/suv for my son 10k

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can get a 4-cylinder Sienna for that price, get it! Toyota makes the best cars, but their transverse V6 designs are difficult to work on and will cost a fortune if all the work is done at a shop
mad.gif

But for a couple years, Toyota offered the Sienna with an easy-to-work-on I4
happy2.gif

There is also the Transit Connect, Mazda 5, and Kia Rondo. The Rondo was available with I4 or V6; obviously, you want the four which will be easier to work on.

Originally Posted by JLTD
IMO your son should buy his own vehicle, but that's for another thread I guess.

SeaJay's suggestion is a good one. The Grand Caravan is pretty good on reliability and has plenty of room.

Well he's my son, in college and making it as best he can. I have the means and he is family so I do what I can to help him succeed.

Originally Posted by BeerCan
Originally Posted by atikovi
I'd look at this one: https://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/d/deland-2004-saturn-vue/6996106929.html Hard to find Redline edition. Just negotiate a timing belt change in the deal if there is no proof it's has been done already.

I emailed the guy. Let's see if he replies

I think those had issues with the transmissions. I'd look for a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. They are roomy inside esp with the seats down and reliable.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver
I'd look at this one: https://orlando.craigslist.org/ctd/d/deland-2004-saturn-vue/6996106929.html Hard to find Redline edition. Just negotiate a timing belt change in the deal if there is no proof it's has been done already.

I think those had issues with the transmissions. I'd look for a Pontiac Vibe or Toyota Matrix. They are roomy inside esp with the seats down and reliable.

No comparison with the utility of those two small cars and their cramped interiors.

Originally Posted by SatinSilver

I think those had issues with the transmissions.
Yep, they definately had transmission problems. They also had problems with motor mounts, and with 141k miles, catalytic converters. If one of the front cats fail the engine has to come out in addition to a very high price for the parts (and you will have trouble finding someone to do it). Then there is the $900 timing belt job that needs to be done on a periodic basis. If it were my money and son, I would pass on this one.

I've had four of these, two with over 200,000 miles and never had any of the issues mentioned. It's just the internet effect. You could say the same for any V6 Honda car, van or SUV of that era. Timing belt job is under $200 in parts and DIY friendly, but can still be done under $600 OTD. Still much cheaper than a timing chain job on most V engines.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
If you can get a 4-cylinder Sienna for that price, get it! Toyota makes the best cars, but their transverse V6 designs are difficult to work on and will cost a fortune if all the work is done at a shop
mad.gif

happy2.gif

There is also the Transit Connect, Mazda 5, and Kia Rondo. The Rondo was available with I4 or V6; obviously, you want the four which will be easier to work on.

I highly doubt he will ever find I4 Sienna in CO. V6 is struggling with 4 people in at this altitude and driving I4, he would have to be on suicidal watch cramping his crew and instruments in. When I was buying Sienna I have never stumbled here on I4, and there is a reason for that. In cars of that size in CO, V6 or turbo engine.

I have the means and he is family so I do what I can to help him succeed.

Nothing wrong with that.

BTW just so everyone knows I am doing this search in Florida. The I'll drive it to Colorado. (I'm brave ...)

BTW just so everyone knows I am doing this search in Florida. The I'll drive it to Colorado. (I'm brave ...)

As I stated, get V6. Altitude here is not friendly to naturally aspirated engines, so one wants some reserve power. Since he is musician, he will have a lot of stuff, probably pack bunch of people in.

pick up with a good quality l ll ockable topper. best band vehicle. plus in Colorado he may need 4x4. full sized suv second choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
mad.gif

happy2.gif

I highly doubt he will ever find I4 Sienna in CO. V6 is struggling with 4 people in at this altitude and driving I4, he would have to be on suicidal watch cramping his crew and instruments in. When I was buying Sienna I have never stumbled here on I4, and there is a reason for that. In cars of that size in CO, V6 or turbo engine.
Yep, that's why I told him to stay away from the 4-cylinder engine in the Sienna, it is WAY underpowered. They drive fine in low speed urban areas but when you get on the highway with a load in them they run out of steam at 70, and every time you go up even the slightest grade the transmission downshifts 2 or 3 gears and the poor little engine screams. The van is too heavy and has the aerodynamics of a brick, the 4-cylinder is just not up to the task. There are actually quite a few of them out there because the rental car companies bought them in large numbers for the first 2 years that Toyota offered them, and they are relatively cheap (all of them were the more basic models, they weren't offered with AWD, and they had already discontinued them by 2014, that is why you didn't see any of them when you were looking edy, but they are out there, and the OP will run across them in his price range). The dealers told Toyota that they didn't want them because they couldn't sell them and eventually the rental car companies stopped buying them because of customer complaints (and they were taking a bath on them when they sold them). Highlanders also came with 4-cylinder engines, and to a lessor extent, my advice applies to them as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
mad.gif

happy2.gif

Yep, that's why I told him to stay away from the 4-cylinder engine in the Sienna, it is WAY underpowered. They drive fine in low speed urban areas but when you get on the highway with a load in them they run out of steam at 70, and every time you go up even the slightest grade the transmission downshifts 2 or 3 gears and the poor little engine screams. The van is too heavy and has the aerodynamics of a brick, the 4-cylinder is just not up to the task. There are actually quite a few of them out there because the rental car companies bought them in large numbers for the first 2 years that Toyota offered them, and they are relatively cheap (all of them were the more basic models, they weren't offered with AWD, and they had already discontinued them by 2014, that is why you didn't see any of them when you were looking edy, but they are out there, and the OP will run across them in his price range). The dealers told Toyota that they didn't want them because they couldn't sell them and eventually the rental car companies stopped buying them because of customer complaints (and they were taking a bath on them when they sold them). Highlanders also came with 4-cylinder engines, and to a lessor extent, my advice applies to them as well.

Yeah, that makes sense, I was looking 2015 so I4 was not available (not that I would ever get it anyway).
I just cannot imagine that thing going up I70 from Denver to the Summit county if he had a gig there.

Maybe a first-gen RDX might be in that price range. It uses a turbo I4, and it is not DI
smile.gif

There is no doubt Turbo is by far best thing power wise in high altitude. But not sure it is best option for young musician with no affinity for maintenance.
I would personally try to find second gen. Sienna with V6. Regardless that they are absolutely horrid vehicles to drive, they do very well job they are made for: transport a lot of people and a lot of stuff.

Maybe a first-gen RDX might be in that price range. It uses a turbo I4, and it is not DI
smile.gif

There is no doubt Turbo is by far best thing power wise in high altitude. But not sure it is best option for young musician with no affinity for maintenance.
I would personally try to find second gen. Sienna with V6. Regardless that they are absolutely horrid vehicles to drive, they do very well job they are made for: transport a lot of people and a lot of stuff.

That RDX K23 doesn't have the problems today's TGDI engines have. It requires synthetic oil, but it does have the MM to tell you when it's time to change the oil
smile.gif

My problem with the Sienna is that they are really difficult to work on, so someone not doing their own work will spend way too much to keep it running. And half the engine is tucked under the windshield. The second-gen Sienna is ok IF you get the 2GR which has a timing chain; the 3MZ uses a timing belt, and it's interference (the 1MZ is non-interference). All are impossible to service

My problem with the Sienna is that they are really difficult to work on, so someone not doing their own work will spend way too much to keep it running. And half the engine is tucked under the windshield. The second-gen Sienna is ok IF you get the 2GR which has a timing chain; the 3MZ uses a timing belt, and it's interference (the 1MZ is non-interference). All are impossible to service
The OP said that his son will NOT be working on the vehicle himself, he will be taking it to a mechanic for repairs and maintenance. I have a Sienna and I do all of my own maintenance, and if something broke (nothing has), I would fix it myself. It is not as difficult to work on as you describe. Many other vehicles are FAR worse.

Originally Posted by wag123
The OP said that his son will NOT be working on the vehicle himself, he will be taking it to a mechanic for repairs and maintenance. I have a Sienna and I do all of my own maintenance, and if something broke (nothing has), I would fix it myself. It is not as difficult to work on as you describe. Many other vehicles are FAR worse.

Exactly! Especially since he's NOT doing his own work, he'll have to pay $500 every time they have to pull the intake on an MZ or GR!

I used to have an ES300 with the 1MZ, and it was impossible to work on! I heard the Sienna and RX are even worse
mad.gif

Right now, I have a 4th gen Maxima with the VQ30. It's one of the better transverse V6 designs, and it has cutouts to access the rear spark plugs and coils, but it's still a transverse V6
cry.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back