Recommend a little SUV or wagon for my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 757guy
The 2012 Escape was designed during the Clinton Administration so I would look for something with a newer design. The new 2013 Escape is just now coming to dealer showrooms and is receiving outstanding reviews so far. New Honda CRV still has the 5 speed transmission, but is of a proven design, just not as efficient as the newer 6,7 and 8 speed transmissions in some of the newest vehicles.

Biggest bang for the buck: 2012 Jeep Liberty "Jet" Edition. Fully equipped with Leather, Sunroof, Heated Seats, towing capability, body on frame construction, Navigation, etc. 4WD models can be had for $25,000 new, with 2WD somewhat less. Lifetime limited drivetrain warranty too. Mileage not as good at 24 mpg, highway.

Mazda CX-5 also receiving great reviews with good mileage.

Just my .02

The Liberty is just as dated as the Escape, but it is a good choice as well.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Originally Posted By: DragRace
Just spent 5 minutes on our Craigslist and found this for $9850 http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/cto/3037505639.html

That's high for a 2004.

1 year ago I bought a 2003 Tribute, so same age at the time, equipped the same, for $6k.

Being the ford freak I am,I didnt realize the Tribute was about the exact same vehicle as the Escape,just different clothing and suspension.
wink.gif

If you can get her out of the "sits up much higher" part, you can get a Honda Fit.

No arguing with the cargo capacity. Highly practical small car.

Or the Kia Seoul. I parked my rather versatile PT Cruiser next to a Seoul and was suprised at how big the Kia was. Doesn't seem like it would move very well with just a 1.6 or 2.0 when PTs need a turbo to hustle but I have yet to hear a Seoul owner complain about the acceleration. (yes, I know I misspelled it but Seoul just seems so appropriate for the Korean)
I don't even know why anybody buys the FWD Sportage. It's quite a bit more expensive but doesn't seem to have significantly more cargo capacity.

The Caliber is just plain ugly to me. But it's Jeep siblings are pretty cool.

If you're looking to nearly halve that $20K total, you can pick up a very nice low mileage HHR LS, PT Cruiser, or Spectra5. I'm particularly fond of the Spectra5. Just wish it had a better shifter.

Originally Posted By: JustinH
My wife is graduating from grad school, and has been driving around an old rusty hulk for the past 6 years. She wants to buy a newer small SUV, or wagon. Something with more room, and something that sits up much higher than her pontiac sunfire.

Budget is no more than 20k. Gas mileage is important to her, as is reliability. We would probably want something with a 4 cylinder engine.

We are moving to the south, so we will not need AWD or 4wd.

I highly recommend the Jeep Patriot( or Compass if she prefers the different exterior - same vehicle overall ). You can easily buy a brand new model with plenty of options in FWD for under $20K. I got a 2011 Patriot( new )last year that was loaded( sunroof, premium sound, heated seats, 4WD, etc... )for just $24,700( well that was sticker - I didn't pay that ).

MPG is excellent for what the vehicle is. I average 23-24 for mixed driving( probably about 70/30 favoring city )and average 28-30 all highway( best to date is 34.7 ). All city, or even towing my duck boat, I have only seen less than 20 MPG once and that was high 19's. I would like to note that I see those numbers despite the vehicle only being rated 21/26. I have the 4WD and larger 2.4L 4cyl w/ auto(CVT) though so if you went with the smaller 4cyl( 2.0L ) and the 5spd you could do better. These vehicles come rated at 28(CVT)-29(5spd) MPG highway if you go with FWD and the 2.0L. Even the 2.4L has a configuration that is rated at 28 highway I believe. Most people seem to be able to exceed the EPA rating on these vehicles when driven conservatively as I do.

The Patriot would be my choice of the two but she may like the Compass shape better? These vehicles will give you so much more for so much less vs the competition in their class. Now if you want to go with really high end options like a power lift/close tailgate, woodgrain trimmed interiors, heated windshield fluid, headlight wipers, etc... these vehicles are not for you because you won't even find them offered. However, they offer most of the options people would want and they do so for an affordable price. I am actually very happy with the Patriot so far. I come from being a FS truck owner, who always had a nicely optioned out truck, for 2 decades+ to the Patriot and I have been very pleased so far despite the downsize. I don't feel I am missing anything( except when I punch it and no longer have a V8 ).

The Patriot has a TON of interior room. Don't be fooled by the small'ish appearance outside. I am just under 6'4" and weigh 300lbs+ and I have all the leg and head room I could ask for. Even side to side room is good. Only area that is small'ish is the cargo area but if you come from a small car or other small SUV it will seem normal. I come from truck beds so I am jaded.
grin.gif
The rear seats can be folded down flat however and you can haul a lot that way.

Also, you mentioned she wanted to sit up a little higher. No small suv really sits up high like a FS suv or truck does. However they are a bit higher than most cars at least. On the Patriot/Compass the height is just about right IMO. I don't feel like I am dropping to the ground when I get in nor do I feel I need a crane to haul me up and out like I usually feel in small(er) vehicles. As said I am pretty tall so the vehicle has to sit up higher than a car for me to like the ride height.

There isn't a small suv on the market that can give you the same value for the dollar( new ). At least go and look at them before saying it is a Jeep(Chrysler )so no thanks or before spending as much or more on something used as you could get one of these new.

Check them out and see what you think.

My 2011 Patriot( Latitiude model )...
IMG_1502.jpg

CR-V is nice. I've got ten years use out of mine, including mud, baby poop (same thing but stinkier), and billions of Cheerios and French fries. Patriot is more basic but still gets you what you need. Love the Patriot for its Cherokee looks. I drove a Fit for 3 years and while it has a good amount of space, you are NOT going to sit anywhere near high off the ground. Seating position is better than you'd imagine but still low.

As for an all cash deal, most dealers could care less. If you qualify for financing, they are going to make their money all the same.

A Focus wagon will seem pretty "grown up" and taller compared to a sunfire. Plus its got lots of cargo room compared to alot of the small SUV's. I thought the Caliber is fine too in the brief time I drove it. It will feel much more solid than the sunfire too.

My girlfriend has a 2012 Nissan Rogue. It's a fantastic car. It gets great mileage and rides great and I see them everywhere around here.

that is what I would get, get a 4wd with the 5 speed stick, latitude with a lot of options for around 20K.

Will get 28 mpg.

Originally Posted By: 123Saab
how about the jeep patriot?

Although above your budget the new designed CRV is a great choice. It is also is feature rich for a base model but unfortunately drives that cost up.

Incredibly reliable and holds it value better than the rest. I think top tier in terms of MPG.

The Ford Escape is due for a redesign. I would not bother purchasing new.

Impreza 5-door? (or old outback sport? 5 door)
I know it's not a classic SUV, but might have some features she's looking for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Impreza 5-door? (or old outback sport? 5 door)
I know it's not a classic SUV, but might have some features she's looking for.

Good one. The previous generation was abysmal for MPG. The new one manages 27MPG/36MPG EPA figures with CVT. Consumer Reports has this one as tops in their small cars rating if that means much to you.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Although above your budget the new designed CRV is a great choice. It is also is feature rich for a base model but unfortunately drives that cost up.

Incredibly reliable and holds it value better than the rest. I think top tier in terms of MPG.

+1....head and shoulders above all the competition. You can approach 20K on a base model, but even if you go over you will get it back easily in resale. Definitely go for the 2012 re-design. It's much more refined that the last generation and fuel mileage is up.

We disliked the latest CRV greatly compared to our friend's 2011 model. Stuff like the sliding rear seat, and some of the headroom were gone. It turned out to be strikingly less "value" and goodness compared to the last gen model.

But the last gen might hit the OP's budget better anyway, so that may be the right path.

Jeep SUCKs-typical chrysler junk
KIA- Im not impressed
Chevy- let me know when they have something RELIABLE

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
We disliked the latest CRV greatly compared to our friend's 2011 model. Stuff like the sliding rear seat, and some of the headroom were gone. It turned out to be strikingly less "value" and goodness compared to the last gen model.

But the last gen might hit the OP's budget better anyway, so that may be the right path.

Personally, I think either generation of CR-V (2007-2011 or the 2012+) is a good path. It's true that you trade away the sliding rear seat in the 2012+ model, but if the family folds the seats often enough, the one-handle folding feature on the new models is pretty nice. There's also a standard backup camera on all models, even if you don't have the touch-screen navigation radio, and that's a feature that many want and ask for. While I think the handling on the new one is a bit softer than the previous generation (which is why I slightly prefer the previous generation), the new model is undeniably more efficient, with EPA ratings of 23/26/31 for city/combined/highway on the FWD model. That's pretty solid for what amounts to a very tall station wagon with a good amount of people room inside. My 2011 Camry sedan didn't really get any better (22/26/32).

To be sure, there are other great choices, and the CR-V will have compromises that others address better. The Chevy Equinox has more back seat space and is a little larger overall. The Jeep Patriot trades some on-road handling for more off-road capability. But there's just something about the way the Honda drives that makes me want to drive it more. And that's one of the best qualities a vehicle can have.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
KIA- Im not impressed
Nice. Tell us how you really feel...

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
KIA- Im not impressed
Nice. Tell us how you really feel...

Really added to the discussion, eh? Gotta remember this is one of the guys spewing jet black diesel soot in your face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back