Recommend a little SUV or wagon for my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yea that's it Steve, I want his wife in a smaller SUV so my exaust will be right at the window, so when she cuts me off I can coal blast er' Women in SUVs and pickup's need a smoke'n every once and a while they cut you off, weave in traffic, ride your a$$..

Oh and don't forget that the Impreza 5 door has full time AWD standard. Safety for wifey in the rain/snow etc
smile.gif

It's also the AWD SUV/cross over with the best MPG right now (with CVT)

new-from-subaru-for-2012.jpg

2012_subaru_impreza_sport.jpg

(I highly doubt CRV is above all small SUVs - rode in a 2012 once and looked and felt Meh).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JustinH
...Budget is no more than 20k. Gas mileage is important to her, as is reliability. We would probably want something with a 4 cylinder engine.

We are moving to the south, so we will not need AWD or 4wd.

Justin, haven't you been moving south for like 8yrs now?? (kidding!) Hate to see you go..

She's got to have something SUVish? I get the ride height and versatility thing, but MPG will suffer greatly.

Trust me, I MISS my SUVs and trucks. I loathe falling into and hauling myself out of my Legacy, but love to drive it and REALLY love the 31mpg. Point is; You're not going to get 30mpg with an SUV. If that's what it's got to be and you're definitely going south, then I agree that AWD/4wd is a waste.

Maybe a FWD Hyundai Santa Fe? They can be had with a 4cyl and 6spd auto. They're HUGE, comfy and reasonable. Maybe 25mpg to boot. I miss my 2008 Santa Fe AWD, just not the 20mpg.

Joel

Lots of good suggestions. One car no one mentioned that fits well into this group is the Elantra Touring: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra-touring/gallery.aspx

Lots of useable space, it uses a tried-and-true drivetrain (no DI or 7 speed transmissions), and is has a manual transmission as an option. It's well within your budget, but it looks like a really solid car. Here's a good review it here.

This is one of the last real wagons still available, and wagons make a lot of sense.

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
(I highly doubt CRV is above all small SUVs - rode in a 2012 once and looked and felt Meh).

In the ultimate sense, no car is above or below any other. It all depends on what fits the needs and preferences of the buyer the best.

That's why we're so blessed in this country to have the freedom of choice, and the availability of many excellent products.

Originally Posted By: JTK
I loathe falling into and hauling myself out of my Legacy, but love to drive it and REALLY love the 31mpg. Point is; You're not going to get 30mpg with an SUV.

Joel, you're quoting the highway mileage of your Legacy (31), but say that you won't get 30 with an SUV? There are a few SUVs that will deliver 30 highway. The CR-V (30 mpg in AWD trim) and Equinox (29 mpg in AWD trim) either get it or get close enough that it's a wash.

And these are the AWD versions. As you note, the FWD ones will do better (31 for the CR-V and 32 for the Equinox).

We drove a 2011 Honda CRV, she really liked it but we are going to shop around.

The Subaru is out, I don't want anything that reminds me of a Buffalo winter, we are moving to Texas.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
..There are a few SUVs that will deliver 30 highway. The CR-V (30 mpg in AWD trim) and Equinox (29 mpg in AWD trim) either get it or get close enough that it's a wash..

I'm sure they'll do 30mpg, but not consistently tank to tank. My Subaru gets flogged pretty hard every 80 mile work commute with some stretches at 75mph+. Lots of hills, twists/turns and 2 tall/long bridges each way. I do love the CRV though. Always have. New Equinox is a nice looking vehicle, but I can't say I've ever been in a nox of any vintage. Don't get out much anymore!

Joel

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: JTK
I loathe falling into and hauling myself out of my Legacy, but love to drive it and REALLY love the 31mpg. Point is; You're not going to get 30mpg with an SUV.

Joel, you're quoting the highway mileage of your Legacy (31), but say that you won't get 30 with an SUV? There are a few SUVs that will deliver 30 highway. The CR-V (30 mpg in AWD trim) and Equinox (29 mpg in AWD trim) either get it or get close enough that it's a wash.

And these are the AWD versions. As you note, the FWD ones will do better (31 for the CR-V and 32 for the Equinox).

And rated #'s don't always mean that is the max you can see. My Patriot despite only being rated to 26 Highway regularly gives me 28-30 and a high so far of 34.7 and that is with a 4WD model. The FWD models are rated at 28 or 29 highway depending on configuration.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
And rated #'s don't always mean that is the max you can see. My Patriot despite only being rated to 26 Highway regularly gives me 28-30 and a high so far of 34.7 and that is with a 4WD model. The FWD models are rated at 28 or 29 highway depending on configuration.

I agree. My CR-V is rated 26 highway, but I almost get that on my daily commute. My last highway trip was a 200 mile jaunt down to Wilmington and back for a wedding and we got 29.6 mpg on the trip. I go to Savannah on Monday and back on Tuesday, so I'm excited to see what I get on that trip.

Yes, the EPA estimates are definitely based on ranges. Some cars will get better than others, even the exact "same" car.

I have a 2012 Rogue and so far with only 3200 miles on it im happy. get an average around 22 to 23mpg driving with a fairly heavy foot in mostly city. I just went on a 90 mile highway trip, had the cruise set at 70 and got 29 mpg.

If you don't need AWD, I'd probably just look at a CR-V or RAV4 as my first two stops. Then maybe consider a Hyundai Tuscon (and the Elantra Touring) and the CX-5 once you can get dealers to discount one. You don't "need" the AWD, but the Forester is stil a nice pick for a versatile car. Decent mpg and supposedly rock solid reliable for the most part. I would have bought one recently if we did't need some more space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back