Recommend a little SUV or wagon for my wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is graduating from grad school, and has been driving around an old rusty hulk for the past 6 years. She wants to buy a newer small SUV, or wagon. Something with more room, and something that sits up much higher than her pontiac sunfire.

Budget is no more than 20k. Gas mileage is important to her, as is reliability. We would probably want something with a 4 cylinder engine.

We are moving to the south, so we will not need AWD or 4wd.

Subaru Forester would be a + there in the winter.

My 2nd choice would be a KIA Sportage. Slightly over your budget.

Why not have her drive both?

Actually its funny that two people mention the new escape. A new one 2012 model year is going for 19 grand, with the 4 cylinder engine.

A used one 2010-2011 model year with a bunch of miles is going for 18-18.5 grand. Is the used car market really that hot? It might make sense to buy new.

We have about 15k in cash and maybe 3 grand in trade, so it will be close to an all cash deal, so I can really beat these dealers into submission.

i friend's stepmom buts 100+ miles a day on her whip. see drives exculsively subaru's for the last 15+yrs. see buys a new one when the current one hits 125k, she uses the new one for trips and around town. she drives the old one as daily driver til 300k then sells them at the end of the driveway. no motor or tranny failures. mobil1 10k oci's w/ filter changed every 5k. 5w-30 upto 150k, 10w-30past 150k. between her and here husban they have owned 8 with over 300k, 3 with over 250k, and one new one w/ 2,900miles.

kc

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Actually its funny that two people mention the new escape. A new one 2012 model year is going for 19 grand, with the 4 cylinder engine.

A used one 2010-2011 model year with a bunch of miles is going for 18-18.5 grand. Is the used car market really that hot? It might make sense to buy new.

We have about 15k in cash and maybe 3 grand in trade, so it will be close to an all cash deal, so I can really beat these dealers into submission.

Around our area,we can easily find 2008-2009 Escapes for around 9k to 12k,clean,no rust,etc with some very low miles. Not sure,maybe your dead set on a 2010-11,but Escapes easily go 200,000 miles.

I can't say enough about the CR-V. The one I drive every day is probably my favorite of every vehicle I've owned. It does everything well that I need it to do. It manages to drive with a spring in its step, and is efficient doing it. My lifetime average is about 25 mpg, and I have the AWD version. The FWD version should get a few ticks better. The cargo area is large for a smaller SUV, and it's super-easy to maintain a Honda. The K24 engine is a super little inline-4, one in which you can use pretty much any oil.

It costs more to buy one, but you're rewarded every day you drive it.

Sounds like you're looking at used.

We really didn't like the latest CRV, some features were a step backward. However, late model last gen, like a 2011 CRV is ideal.

I'd also look at the FWD escape.

Since you said wagon, I'd also look at the impreza and outback wagon (or a legacy GT wagon if you can find one), or a VW diesel if you're driving a lot.

Subaru Forester without a doubt. Great AWD, excellent reliability, and back seats fold perfectly flat. I get 26-29 MPG. Mine (2006) has 96,000 miles and has been 100% reliable. The new ones are quieter, roomier, and smoother.

Last edited:
One more vote for the forester. Lots of room, lots of safety, and not too big.

If it is big enough the vibe is nice also.

The 2012 Escape was designed during the Clinton Administration so I would look for something with a newer design. The new 2013 Escape is just now coming to dealer showrooms and is receiving outstanding reviews so far. New Honda CRV still has the 5 speed transmission, but is of a proven design, just not as efficient as the newer 6,7 and 8 speed transmissions in some of the newest vehicles.

Biggest bang for the buck: 2012 Jeep Liberty "Jet" Edition. Fully equipped with Leather, Sunroof, Heated Seats, towing capability, body on frame construction, Navigation, etc. 4WD models can be had for $25,000 new, with 2WD somewhat less. Lifetime limited drivetrain warranty too. Mileage not as good at 24 mpg, highway.

Mazda CX-5 also receiving great reviews with good mileage.

Just my .02

Get one of the last 2012 Escapes coming off the line. You can probably get a real steal on one as dealers try to clear them out to make way for the new 2013 Escape.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back