Best mini van for hauling work, $5k or less?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you get a Transit Connect in your price range? They have been out awhile now, so maybe they have depreciated enough for you.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

I am shocked no one has mentioned the astro or safari. Might be a little too old to get in decent shape for cheap but they are tough as nails and share a lot of components with the C/K series GM truck of that vintage IIRC. 4.3 L may drink the gas but if you can get a 2.8 that would be pretty fuel efficent I imagine.

Me to....Well not really, GM hate on this board runs deep! They were never offered with a 2.8L or any of the 60 degree V6's, They were offered with a 2.5L "Iron Duke" early on.....I've only seen a couple & one had a manual transmission.

Originally Posted By: macarose
According to this site, the best bang for the buck will likely be a Buick Terraza or a Chevy Uplander.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Minivan.html

I would get an Uplander that has been fleet maintained by a government agency. You won't spend anywhere near $5k.

Steve,

would a Ford Freestyle (The Folvo Wagon) would be cheap enough for the OP?

My suggestion would be the cleanest, most solid and problem free one you can find for $5K.

I've had 4 different make and model MVs since 2003. They've all got their potential weak points.

What I see in my area in terms of MVs in work/utility service are Dodge/Chrysler. I do see the vary occasional Odyssey or Sienna in Taxi service. That's a rare sighting though. All most all of those are Dodge/Chrysler as well.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vladiator
In my area I see a lot of Mercury Villager/Nissan Quest minivans for $2k-$5k with sub-150k miles and often in good condition. Late 1990s through early 2000s is the model to look at. Very reliable and powerful enough to haul whatever you got.

I had two of these...a 1995 and a 2000. The 1995 was built on a Pathfinder frame/motor. It was bulletproof, and I abused the [censored] out of it. besides 3 kids, I also did flooring PT and flipped houses. EVERYTHING went into that van...flooring, tools...drywall...etc

I used to do a lot of fishing and towed a boat all over PA and NY...and all the way to Canada...often! The boat was a 17' aluminum and weighed in around 3500lbs. I also towed a 16' Stratos that went over 5000lb on occasion. [censored], I even went off road with it many times through farmers fields at times!

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: macarose
According to this site, the best bang for the buck will likely be a Buick Terraza or a Chevy Uplander.

http://www.dashboard-light.com/reports/Minivan.html

I would get an Uplander that has been fleet maintained by a government agency. You won't spend anywhere near $5k.

Steve,

would a Ford Freestyle (The Folvo Wagon) would be cheap enough for the OP?

yes, but most of them had the CVT that is a pricey replacement if it fails, and the only way you are gonna fit a BUNCH of stuff(Op said "hauling work") is removing the 2nd and 3rd row of seats. which is labor intensive. (every seat aside from the drivers does fold flat...but still takes up about 1/2 the cabin volume)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back