Sister wants an Audi q5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by geeman789
Plus, basic maintenance is often included with the luxury brands.
Just FYI, but Audi no longer includes basic maintenance like they did in the past. Only the first scheduled service is included.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Plus , I am cheap . They are more $$$ than I could tolerate .

Awesome.

You of all people should know that at BITOG parroting mindless internet hearsay always trumps actual ownership experiences.

Cheapo's !

Get a BMW then ....

Every new BMW comes with No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance*, which covers many of your vehicle's essential servicing needs at no additional charge. Maintenance may be carried out at any authorized BMW Retailer or BMW Service Centre in Canada, where BMW Certified Technicians will service your vehicle using only Original BMW Parts.

Maintenance includes:
Oil and filter change
Vehicle service check
Service or replacement of air, fuel and microfilters, spark plugs and brake fluid.

BMWs purchased from an authorized BMW Retailer in Canada are covered by No-Charge Scheduled Maintenance for a period of 4 years or 80,000 kilometres**, whichever occurs first.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Just lease one for 4 years, enjoy the car, and never worry about any costly out of warranty repairs. You know EXACTLY how much the car will cost you. Plus, basic maintenance is often included with the luxury brands. It's up to you to decide if you are willing to pay that amount.

Given the mind numbing complexity of virtually every modern car, I'm starting to think this is the way to go for any brand.

Leases dont work if you drive much at all though.

Originally Posted by Ws6
For the Audi to have such an absurdly high warranty, given the equipment similarity, does not speak well.
Cost of servicing, repairs, and extended warranties are commensurate with the cost of the vehicle in this case, IMO. You get to pay premium for everything related to a premium vehicle.

Not really. Maintenance on a cx9 costs within $600 of the Q5 over 5 years, actually favoring the q5. Repair costs on the other hand are 300% higher for the Q5, at 3K vs $850.

*per Edmunds true cost to own calculator.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by The Critic
I was quoted $4200 for a 10/120k warranty from Audi (administered by Fidelity) for a 2019 Q5.

I would highly consider the warranty if she plans to own one long-term.

Wow! That is kindof scary, honestly. Is that just the bumper to bumper, or does that include paint/dent/interior repairs? That's twice what I paid for my CX5 for 10/150, bumper-to-bumper, and leads me to think repairs on the Audi will be astronomical. I'd get that warranty!

Yes - - - Audi's are expensive to repair. Even for the simplest items.

The PCV on our 2009 cost $350--------yes a $350 PCV valve. It was highly over engineered.

Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6
For the Audi to have such an absurdly high warranty, given the equipment similarity, does not speak well.
Cost of servicing, repairs, and extended warranties are commensurate with the cost of the vehicle in this case, IMO. You get to pay premium for everything related to a premium vehicle.

Not really. Maintenance on a cx9 costs within $600 of the Q5 over 5 years, actually favoring the q5. Repair costs on the other hand are 300% higher for the Q5, at 3K vs $850.

*per Edmunds true cost to own calculator.

Yeah, but the repair costs are estimated based on the price of an extended warranty. Not sure how representative it is of actual repairs needed.

As far as maintenance, yes, that is surprising - Mazda seems to show a fairly high amount in year 5 while the Q5 does not. Not sure why that is.

Originally Posted by nicholas
The PCV on our 2009 cost $350--------yes a $350 PCV valve. It was highly over engineered.

Was that the cost of just the part, or part plus labor?

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Thanks guys, not really expecting such positive reviews, will let her know. I believe she is looking at the I4 turbo powertrain.

Don't let internet reports of expensive repairs or reliability issues turn you off. People only post when there is a problem, very few people post about it when they are having no problems, so of course it seems a particular car is trouble when you only see negative issues discussed.

Originally Posted by GZRider
Can you just rebadge an RX350, put some sticky tires on it and tell her it's a Q5? It's an SUV so I doubt she's gonna but the thing on a circle track. It will be easier and less time consuming then a family member owning an Audi (any Audi) when it's out of warranty.

The Lexus front ends are horrific to look at.

74C9A48E-B8B4-4BC3-BDFA-6B32E48BB474.jpeg

Originally Posted by Kjmack
Tell her a late 80s Grand Marquis is bullet proof .

Or a Crown Vic :^D

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Originally Posted by GZRider
Can you just rebadge an RX350, put some sticky tires on it and tell her it's a Q5? It's an SUV so I doubt she's gonna but the thing on a circle track. It will be easier and less time consuming then a family member owning an Audi (any Audi) when it's out of warranty.

The Lexus front ends are horrific to look at.

Yep,very Darth Vaderesque

My family as well as myself have had good luck with newer VW products.

My dad had a 07 Jetta with the 2.5 engine followed by a 2010 Passat with the 2.0 turbo, no issues with either, combined 130K or so miles. He's not great on maintenance either, just oil changes and tires on both.

I've had a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen and my current DD, a 2013 Golf TDI with the 2.0 Diesel. The 2012 Jetta had the 2.5, put about 20K on that no issues. My TDI has 76K miles and from service records and the time I've had it, it has only had one issue that had to do with an O2 sensor which was fixed under warranty.

I'm certainly a fan of VW/Audi products and would not hesitate to buy a Q5. I believe if you maintain VW/Audi vehicles by the book with certified fluids (this is key) they are excellent vehicles that offer a great driving experience.

I will add that VW/Audi are a luxury brand and the Germans do engineer things differently. Some may say overly complicated, I think they just engineer to a different standard.... With this comes some extra cost. Parts are more expensive and so is the labor. However, I think they offer a better driving experience than most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Thanks guys, not really expecting such positive reviews, will let her know. I believe she is looking at the I4 turbo powertrain.

Don't let internet reports of expensive repairs or reliability issues turn you off. People only post when there is a problem, very few people post about it when they are having no problems, so of course it seems a particular car is trouble when you only see negative issues discussed.

...I felt exactly the way you do when I bought my 2010 Jeep grand Cherokee. I was a very sad man, many repairs later.

Friends have one, they like the way theirs drive but are not really car people. It has been very good, and I haven't heard any complaints from them on any major issues.

Audis can be a bit needy, my Wife's S4 has gone through brakes and rotors every ~30K, and did need some engine work (electronic t stat, vacuum leak, etc. ~$2K) at about 80K miles, but that has been it. That said, the car is a blast to drive and Audi's do have a great road feel and very good brakes.

I would not hesitate to get the car.

Originally Posted by Huie83
My family as well as myself have had good luck with newer VW products.

My dad had a 07 Jetta with the 2.5 engine followed by a 2010 Passat with the 2.0 turbo, no issues with either, combined 130K or so miles. He's not great on maintenance either, just oil changes and tires on both.

I've had a 2012 Jetta Sportwagen and my current DD, a 2013 Golf TDI with the 2.0 Diesel. The 2012 Jetta had the 2.5, put about 20K on that no issues. My TDI has 76K miles and from service records and the time I've had it, it has only had one issue that had to do with an O2 sensor which was fixed under warranty.

I'm certainly a fan of VW/Audi products and would not hesitate to buy a Q5. I believe if you maintain VW/Audi vehicles by the book with certified fluids (this is key) they are excellent vehicles that offer a great driving experience.

I will add that VW/Audi are a luxury brand and the Germans do engineer things differently. Some may say overly complicated, I think they just engineer to a different standard.... With this comes some extra cost. Parts are more expensive and so is the labor. However, I think they offer a better driving experience than most.

Never thought of VW as a luxury brand . Growing up in the 1960's , VW was a cheap ride for us broke folks , or a cult car . But I will defer to your judgement .

Originally Posted by bbhero
Holy cow
lol.gif

Great picture analogy with the Lexus front end...

Perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, that is great. Fierce looks, novocaine driving experience
laugh.gif
Painless to own though...at least the one we had around was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back