2018 VW Atlas SEL w/4Motion and 3.6 VR6 6 year review

TiGeo

$50 site donor 2024
We bought this new on 1/19/2018, had to get it brought in from another dealer. All-in OTD was ~$44K and included some accessories I wanted. This was when these were fresh to market. This is the most expensive vehicle I have ever bought is is my wife's daily as well as our family hauler. This vehicle came with the 6yr/72K warranty which is just about over on time; it has ~55K on the odo at almost 6 years. Current KBB puts it in the upper $20s most likely so really not bad w/r to depreciation but most of that is due to the shortage issues of a few years ago.

Overall ownership has been good with some minor hiccups. VW isn't the most reliable brand but I've had a number of them and they are dependable vehicles in my experience, safe, comfortable, and typically not boring.

In 6 years I've spent $3,200 in maintenance costs (that is anything that isn't fuel, taxes/reg fees, insurance, etc. so down to the wiper blades) with the largest costs being a battery, f. brake rotors, and tires. Overall, that works out to $530/year or $0.06/mile so far. Last year in 2023 it cost me $113 compared to $300 the years I had dealer service. I have split about half the maintence costs with the dealer and early on just had them do oil changes etc. b/c it was in quite a few times for recalls/service campaigns/small warranty bits which increased those costs as well...those dealer oil changes/tire rotations were ~$120 but time is money and if I'm dropping it off I'm having them do whatever it needs while it's in. Everything is DIY now at this point with Liquimoly oil kits and costs will steadily drop is my anticipation with continued DIY service using FCP Euro so "free" supplies. Only things on the schedule beyond the norm this year are plugs, brake fluid, and do a Haldex service (60K maintenance items). After that it's nothing until 80K when the auto trans needs a service. The most significant warranty claim was for a leaking water pump at 36K miles. No oil consumption to speak of BTW. I did some UOAs on it, not remarkable/normal.

We'll likely have this a few more years and then move her into something smaller/sportier based on what she wants...Porsche Macan, Audi Q5, Audi S5, etc.

I'd like to keep it if possible to tow a track car, lift it, have some fun making it a soft roader, etc. Would be a good one for one of my boys but it's huge and nobody is really interested in having it, I don't blame them. Would be a good vehicle for me to use for work. It's a v. handsome vehicle to me, the Tourmaline Blue is a killer color IMHO.

20230121_135027.jpg
20230121_134900.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing your experience. 2018-2020 looks are the best IMO, they ruined it with 2021-2023, it didn't have that masculine look anymore.

I wish they still offered the same color, I'd have picked that instead.

What's your average MPG?

My wife and I drove a 2019 Tiguan in the same color. I decided not to buy it because it had a sun roof. We settled on a white Tiguan SE and no sun roof. I am impressed with the VW fit and finish. We haven’t really had any problems. The car is still rattle free.

Nice tinted fogs!

I've always liked the stout, hefty look of the Atlas. Very German.

Thanks for sharing your experience. 2018-2020 looks are the best IMO, they ruined it with 2021-2023, it didn't have that masculine look anymore.

What's your average MPG?
Not good hahaha. So for a highway trip, I have seen upwards of 25 and that's with me correcting the display as it reads a bit optimistic by ~8%. So 23-25 on average I'd say for highway. For around town, can be 12-14 sometimes. My wife on her commute gets around 17. EPA estimated is 17-23...I'd say it's right where it's supposed to be.

If I keep it/make it mine at some point...resonator delete/Wookie Pipe to get some VR growl, intake of course ot make the eyes of the crumudgens here bleed, and one size up all-terrain-y tires. Could lift with coilovers or spacers as well.

What's your average MPG?
I 100% agree, this one is nicer looking than the current gen.

What's your average MPG?

I’m the opposite, the front end on the 21+ looks wide and good.

If I keep it/make it mine at some point...resonator delete/Wookie Pipe to get some VR growl, intake of course ot make the eyes of the crumudgens here bleed, and one size up all-terrain-y tires. Could lift with coilovers or spacers as well.
1. You are not wracking up those miles fast enough. By the end of this year, I might catch up with you!
2. I sold my 20" wheels. While the suspension is soft with that secondary dip (which proves that VW really does not know how to make soft suspension). Somehow, 20" turned out to be too harsh in soft suspension. I got used Prisma (2nd set, I have one for winter tires) and will go 265/60R18. I was thinking 255/60R18, a. tire choices are horrid,b. will go H&R springs to lift 1" and B4 shocks. Probably Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tires.

1. You are not wracking up those miles fast enough. By the end of this year, I might catch up with you!
2. I sold my 20" wheels. While the suspension is soft with that secondary dip (which proves that VW really does not know how to make soft suspension). Somehow, 20" turned out to be too harsh in soft suspension. I got used Prisma (2nd set, I have one for winter tires) and will go 265/60R18. I was thinking 255/60R18, a. tire choices are horrid,b. will go H&R springs to lift 1" and B4 shocks. Probably Michelin Defender LTX M/S2 tires.
It really does have low miles, my wife was at-home until just the last year so mainly just scooting around to the store etc. Now back at it as a teacher with a short-ish commute. Then just highway trips a handful of times a year.

I'm glad I did the 18s when we got it and yeah, 265/60s seem to be a good "one up" size to use. Tire choices are pretty bad in these sizes as it's really just a big car. Also consider Solowerks coilovers. My friend runs that business and I've spoken to him about them, seem like a good way to go. I reached out to Bilstein about the possibility of adding B6s to their lineup which would be fantastic on the Atlas.

This is what I'd get:

I think my costs for maintenance have been similar. Only one thing has been an actual failure was the heater core, but that was fixed under warranty. Scheduled maintenance is a lot more thorough with VW which adds some costs, but I feel they're one of the few brands that has not thrown everything to the catchphrase "lifetime" fill. If anything it's all the same services I've always done on previous cars.

I just had the oil cap fail and now it's seeping from the fill cap down the side of the engine which I discovered when it hit the belt. That was not a reassuring smell. I cleaned it up and took apart the cap and cleaned it. It'll be a few days before I can get a cap so hopefully it holds up and I'll just keep cleaning it off so it doesn't happen again. I thought I was over pressurizing the crankcase, but the seal to the cap is basically dry rotted and the oil is able to get past it and wick up the side of the fill opening. I found out how common this was the second I searched it. Pretty dumb issue actually.

I see HPA is making some wild Golf Rs with the 3.6 VR6 as a base. Pretty sweet.

I 100% agree, this one is nicer looking than the current gen
We’re still in the same gen. It’s just had a couple of refreshes.

and I disagree, it’s been getting better looking with each refresh. Always hated the original front end shown above, and those exaggerated wheel arches. Lots of complaints that even with the V6 it’s one of the slowest big crossovers out there.

and I disagree, it’s been getting better looking with each refresh. Always hated the original front end shown above, and those exaggerated wheel arches. Lots of complaints that even with the V6 it’s one of the slowest big crossovers out there.
I realize it's the same gen just facelifts but it's getting pretty different at this point...not a fan.

I did some 0-60 runs using my Dragy and of I remember it was in the 8 sec range...not bad to me for a big vehicle. The VR is smooth and sounds good. The new Evo gen 4 turbo 4 will have more go but the 3.6 VR can tow up to 5K lbs. It's got plenty of power if you don't drive it like a grandma.

I put the wookie pipe on my 2020 SE w/tech and it sounded great. Could barely walk by without starting it just to hear the burbling lol

I am getting old. The sweet silence of my EA888 is heaven.

Empty VR6 with driver only cannot keep up with my 2.0T full with luggage, 3 bikes on rack and 4 passengers at Eisenhower Gauntlet. Not even close.
VR6 sounds really good, but here at altitude? Turbo rules.

Back