Sister wants an Audi q5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by edyvw
Mazda plays in the q3, x3, RDX, Xt4, etc. Arena with the cx5 top trim levels. Q5 is a bit larger, but also smaller than cx9. Rav, crv, etc. Are more analagous to where Mazda was in 2016, regarding performance and refinement.

Also, Q5 quattro system is about the same as cx5 awd system. Like, so similar its disgusting neither has sued the other, lol! They are both FWD, with AWD on demand when needed, the need for which is monitored by a [censored] ton of sensors.

https://m.glenmoreaudi.com/en/news/...uyers-want-it-/42853?mobileredirect=true

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/technology/the-case-for-predictive-awd/
Personally, I prefer Mazdas system with 1-2% preload as it eliminates shock. No way to do that completely with complete decoupling without sacrificing engagement speed. Otherwise, iActiv and Ultra Quattro are [censored] near the same thing.

Your calling of the new ultra quattro "much more advanced " is proof youre just brandhumping. Further, that you dont understand how it works, when you say its part of the reason the audi has worse fuel economy, considering the awd system is literally physically decoupled and its just a fwd vehicle until slip is detected. This proves my point about your lack of understanding of how both vehicles mechanically compare, as well as how they operate.

For example, calling the mazda a twin scroll turbo design. Its not.

The list of factual inaccuracies continues, but the point remains that it seems your experience with Mazda is dated, and your understanding of Audi is incomplete, especially as relates to how the q5s awd on demand system works.

The fact that you think that Audi Q5 and Mazda have similar AWD system is stem from two things:
1. You seriously have insecurity issues around ownership of your vehicle. You want to drive premium, but obviously you did not get one. And you are seriously bothered by what your neighbor drives. Every topic you turn into attempt to find someone to confirm your bias.
2. You have no idea actually how any of these vehicles work, including your Mazda, let alone Audi.
And, that Audi, regardless that it has smaller engine, would obliterate that Mazda in curves. A. Bcs it is better handling vehicle, and b. you obviously only know how to drive on strait line.

And, you combine Q3 and X3. Do you actually have DL or you drive cars on a youtube?

Im quite content with my choice in vehicle, and driving abilities, thanks. What Im seeing from you is what we call "projecting ".

Maybe you can explain to me how the Audi Ultra Quattro system works and how that makes it superior to how the iActiv system works...since you claim to have knowledge of it that I do not.

As to which would win in the curves, well, its going to be really really hard to find that mash up to verify those claims, as they simply cannot be extrapolated from skidpad ratings or as youre so fond to point out, weight distribilution. Those only tell a small part of the tale, as I'm sure you know.

If I had wanted a base engine Q5, Id have saved money and snagged a used one, as no meaningful changes happened in 2019, and used q5s arent very expensive. I didn't. Cruise the Audi forums and you'll see why. Lots of issues. No real benefit aside from the sexy dash display and upgraded leather, neither of which are worth the reliability hit to me.

Eta, yes, the q3 is more x1 size, but it just looked larger to me on the lot? I wont quibble it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Mazda plays in the q3, x3, RDX, Xt4, etc. Arena with the cx5 top trim levels. Q5 is a bit larger, but also smaller than cx9. Rav, crv, etc. Are more analagous to where Mazda was in 2016, regarding performance and refinement.

Also, Q5 quattro system is about the same as cx5 awd system. Like, so similar its disgusting neither has sued the other, lol! They are both FWD, with AWD on demand when needed, the need for which is monitored by a [censored] ton of sensors.

https://m.glenmoreaudi.com/en/news/...uyers-want-it-/42853?mobileredirect=true

https://insidemazda.mazdausa.com/the-mazda-way/technology/the-case-for-predictive-awd/
Personally, I prefer Mazdas system with 1-2% preload as it eliminates shock. No way to do that completely with complete decoupling without sacrificing engagement speed. Otherwise, iActiv and Ultra Quattro are [censored] near the same thing.

Your calling of the new ultra quattro "much more advanced " is proof youre just brandhumping. Further, that you dont understand how it works, when you say its part of the reason the audi has worse fuel economy, considering the awd system is literally physically decoupled and its just a fwd vehicle until slip is detected. This proves my point about your lack of understanding of how both vehicles mechanically compare, as well as how they operate.

For example, calling the mazda a twin scroll turbo design. Its not.

The list of factual inaccuracies continues, but the point remains that it seems your experience with Mazda is dated, and your understanding of Audi is incomplete, especially as relates to how the q5s awd on demand system works.

The fact that you think that Audi Q5 and Mazda have similar AWD system is stem from two things:
1. You seriously have insecurity issues around ownership of your vehicle. You want to drive premium, but obviously you did not get one. And you are seriously bothered by what your neighbor drives. Every topic you turn into attempt to find someone to confirm your bias.
2. You have no idea actually how any of these vehicles work, including your Mazda, let alone Audi.
And, that Audi, regardless that it has smaller engine, would obliterate that Mazda in curves. A. Bcs it is better handling vehicle, and b. you obviously only know how to drive on strait line.

And, you combine Q3 and X3. Do you actually have DL or you drive cars on a youtube?

Im quite content with my choice in vehicle, and driving abilities, thanks. What Im seeing from you is what we call "projecting ".

Maybe you can explain to me how the Audi Ultra Quattro system works and how that makes it superior to how the iActiv system works...since you claim to have knowledge of it that I do not.

As to which would win in the curves, well, its going to be really really hard to find that mash up to verify those claims, as they simply cannot be extrapolated from skidpad ratings or as youre so fond to point out, weight distribilution. Those only tell a small part of the tale, as I'm sure you know.

If I had wanted a base engine Q5, Id have saved money and snagged a used one, as no meaningful changes happened in 2019, and used q5s arent very expensive. I didn't. Cruise the Audi forums and you'll see why. Lots of issues. No real benefit aside from the sexy dash display and upgraded leather, neither of which are worth the reliability hit to me.

Eta, yes, the q3 is more x1 size, but it just looked larger to me on the lot? I wont quibble it.

The fact that you still do not get why I said you cannot compare Q3 and X3 tells everything we have to know here about your understanding of vehicles and engineering.

You're dancing around that Ultra Quattro system...

Im cruising the Audi forums and tons of cx5 love there. "Premium feel" "great steering" etc. type comments.

So...tell us all more about how Audi's system is better than iActiv AWD...?

Originally Posted by Ws6

Im cruising the Audi forums and tons of cx5 love there. "Premium feel" "great steering" etc. type comments.

No I do not go around, Audi has Torsen differential unlike Mazda. Audi can transfer much more power between axels than Mazda, which is limited to 50:50. Audi can transfer torque independently per one wheel. Audi due to position of an engine is dynamically far better vehicle on road or in slippery conditions.
And no, there is no love on Audi forums for Mazda. I am member on all big ones. No one said: Geez, I wish I got CX-5 and not Q5.
In the end I posted video to you about Mazda AWD. It is POS on par with Hyundai AWD system.
Now in alternate universe, Mazda might be competing with Lamborgihini, but here on Earth, stay in lane with RAV4.
But still, the fact that you still do not know what is difference between Q3 and X3 is telling us that youtube is as far as you go when it comes knowing all these vehicles.

Originally Posted by Ws6

No I do not go around, Audi has Torsen differential unlike Mazda. Audi can transfer much more power between axels than Mazda, which is limited to 50:50. Audi can transfer torque independently per one wheel. Audi due to position of an engine is dynamically far better vehicle on road or in slippery conditions.
And no, there is no love on Audi forums for Mazda. I am member on all big ones. No one said: Geez, I wish I got CX-5 and not Q5.
In the end I posted video to you about Mazda AWD. It is POS on par with Hyundai AWD system.
Now in alternate universe, Mazda might be competing with Lamborgihini, but here on Earth, stay in lane with RAV4.
But still, the fact that you still do not know what is difference between Q3 and X3 is telling us that youtube is as far as you go when it comes knowing all these vehicles.

Lol, you really are lost in the sauce. Audi Q5 currently doesnt have a torsen diff...either in the front, rear, or center.
Both the q5 and iActiv awd can "lock", which static becomes 50/50 torque split. Q5
Ultra quattro shifts torque from left to right via brakes. Just like Mazda. It just has open front and rear diffs, plus the disengagement required equipment in the rear. They are literally the same system except Mazda has 1-2% engagement to prevent slop, while Audi has 0% engagement and takes a hair longer to kick in. They did this using more clutches and doodads, to make a long story short, so they could use the Haldex based fwd system and save a hair on fuel.

Audi and Mazda systems offer identical mechanical advantage on torque distribution, both being clutch systems. Audi just uses over 200% more parts, to cut out the 1-2% torque Mazdas system sends to the rear...from a reliability stand point, thats a nasty difference, with 2 clutches to wear or fail vs 1, plus supporting hardware. The only functional advantage being very meager fuel savings, allegedly, while trading lockup time of added 200ms roughly, as well as the fact that mazda is monitoring the system 200x per second, while Audi has half the sample rate, at 100x per second.

I view the Mazda system as superior, for those reasons.

Oh, kindof unrelated, mazda will mildly cut engine torque on turn in. Trail braking. Kindof cool. Audi do similar?
Or should I ask someone more up to date on their Audis
wink.gif

To get actual torque vectoring or locking, you need the Sport differential. SQ5 required...

But please, feel free to continue educating me...

...the further you make me dig into the Audi, the more I appreciate my Mazda. This is going the opposite of how it should, based on dollars spent. I suggest you start showing me that sexy digital dash and the seating surfaces. Those Ill grant are pretty nice. Mechanically? The audi is a ripoff from what Im seeing, compared to Mazda.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by Ws6

Lol, you really are lost in the sauce. Audi Q5 currently doesnt have a torsen diff...either in the front, rear, or center.
Both the q5 and iActiv awd can "lock", which static becomes 50/50 torque split. Q5
Ultra quattro shifts torque from left to right via brakes. Just like Mazda. It just has open front and rear diffs, plus the disengagement required equipment in the rear. They are literally the same system except Mazda has 1-2% engagement to prevent slop, while Audi has 0% engagement and takes a hair longer to kick in. They did this using more clutches and doodads, to make a long story short, so they could use the Haldex based fwd system and save a hair on fuel.

Audi and Mazda systems offer identical mechanical advantage on torque distribution, both being clutch systems. Audi just uses over 200% more parts, to cut out the 1-2% torque Mazdas system sends to the rear...from a reliability stand point, thats a nasty difference, with 2 clutches to wear or fail vs 1, plus supporting hardware. The only functional advantage being very meager fuel savings, allegedly, while trading lockup time of added 200ms roughly, as well as the fact that mazda is monitoring the system 200x per second, while Audi has half the sample rate, at 100x per second.

I view the Mazda system as superior, for those reasons.

Oh, kindof unrelated, mazda will mildly cut engine torque on turn in. Trail braking. Kindof cool. Audi do similar?
Or should I ask someone more up to date on their Audis
wink.gif

To get actual torque vectoring or locking, you need the Sport differential. SQ5 required...

But please, feel free to continue educating me...

...the further you make me dig into the Audi, the more I appreciate my Mazda. This is going the opposite of how it should, based on dollars spent. I suggest you start showing me that sexy digital dash and the seating surfaces. Those Ill grant are pretty nice. Mechanically? The audi is a ripoff from what Im seeing, compared to Mazda.

lol.gif

You were again driving on Youtube all night.
Go back to that video, Mazda cannot compete with Tiguan let alone Audi.

Last edited:
...and in actual tough weather use, neither the Mazda nor the upscale VW are in the same class as a Subaru, pretentions not withstanding.
How do I know this?
Wife has always found the Foresters effortless even on the supposedly awful OEM Yokohamas in real winter conditions, and she's been driving in real winter conditions for around fifty years now.
As far as trips into the ditch go, I can't imagine getting into that kind of trouble in a Subaru, unless the driver is emulating the lyrics of an old pop song and driving with his eyes closed.
An Audi is nothing more than an upscale VW with a nice interior, after all.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
...and in actual tough weather use, neither the Mazda nor the upscale VW are in the same class as a Subaru, pretentions not withstanding.
How do I know this?
Wife has always found the Foresters effortless even on the supposedly awful OEM Yokohamas in real winter conditions, and she's been driving in real winter conditions for around fifty years now.
As far as trips into the ditch go, I can't imagine getting into that kind of trouble in a Subaru, unless the driver is emulating the lyrics of an old pop song and driving with his eyes closed.
An Audi is nothing more than an upscale VW with a nice interior, after all.

I think most trips into the ditch are a result of black ice. No awd system is going to matter, there. Snow is easy/not an issue, even with allseasons, in my experience. Just slow more for turns, leave room between cars. Easy peasy. In my daily life, loose gravel and inclines work awd the hardest. Snow is just getting started on hills, mainly. Not a very robust test of anything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back