Sister wants an Audi q5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
Mechanically speaking, I would like to know as much as possible about the q5, the good, bad and ugly please.

Also mechanically speaking, is the VW Tiguan still the same as the q5?

She is not sure yet if the next vehicle will be lease or buy , just trying to help steer her away from a vehicle that has the potential for imminent, costly repairs. I know past Audi vehicles had DI valve coking issues. BITOG member opinions appreciated, thanks.

Has your sister taken one of these for a test drive? If you have not already done so, persuade her to do so. Lot's of people have their mind made-up on a vehicle based on effective marketing, appearance and/or specifications. Upon sitting in the car for the first time, she might encounter the stark realization that "this thing is uncomfortable" or "I can't see over the dashboard" or "no matter how I adjust the steering wheel, I can't see the instrument cluster" or, "this seat is pinching my butt in unspeakable ways".

Ray

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Friends have one, they like the way theirs drive but are not really car people. It has been very good, and I haven't heard any complaints from them on any major issues.

Audis can be a bit needy, my Wife's S4 has gone through brakes and rotors every ~30K, and did need some engine work (electronic t stat, vacuum leak, etc. ~$2K) at about 80K miles, but that has been it. That said, the car is a blast to drive and Audi's do have a great road feel and very good brakes.

I would not hesitate to get the car.

That would be a huge turn off to me in a Q5. In an SQ5, Id overlook that.

My good friend bought an almost new Audi Q5 while he worked at the Volkswagen dealership as a technician....he sold it after 2 years the second time the transmission valve body started to go (first time cost him a ton of money despite doing the work himself). He also had to rebuild the engine under warranty (oil usage). He reset the code and traded it on a Dodge journey.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
My good friend bought an almost new Audi Q5 while he worked at the Volkswagen dealership as a technician....he sold it after 2 years the second time the transmission valve body started to go (first time cost him a ton of money despite doing the work himself). He also had to rebuild the engine under warranty (oil usage). He reset the code and traded it on a Dodge journey.

Q5 has probably most reliable transmission available (ZF8). That si fluke. On other hand, thousands of failed transmissions on Dodge Journey were not a fluke.

Why did it cost him a ton of money if it was under warranty?

Mechanically speaking, I would like to know as much as possible about the q5, the good, bad and ugly please.

She is not sure yet if the next vehicle will be lease or buy , just trying to help steer her away from a vehicle that has the potential for imminent, costly repairs. I know past Audi vehicles had DI valve coking issues. BITOG member opinions appreciated, thanks.

So as far as I read, she wants 2.0ltr? That is EA888 3rd gen engine. Most issues those engines had were resolved by mid 2012. I have VW version of that engine 1st gen. and so far did not have any issue except failed coil packs some 400 miles ago.
Who will maintain that car? They are easy to maintain (do not get maintenance package at all) but need to now that specific oils are warranted etc. It is same price like any other synthetic oils (you can get it in Wal Mart) but she needs to know what to look for.
Is she in FL? Obviously AWD would not be that important, but they do have by far best AWD system in industry. The new Q5 however has Ultra version of Quattro system, which means most torque is in front unlike in previous version when spit was 40/60. However, still much more capable than anything else on the market.
Transmission? You will not find anything more reliable than ZF8 transmission or anything that shifts as fast.
Engine layout is proper, meaning that it is longitudinal layout not transverse. Also, engine is pushed back 3mm compared to previous versions (Audi tend to be bit heavy in nose compared to MB and especially BMW, but much lighter than Lexus or anything coming from Asia or USA. With 4cyl, expect some 53-54% weight in front).
Does she wants strictly new car? Used Q5 with 3.o ltr V6 Supercharged might be an interesting option. That engine proved to be extremely reliable. It had several problems prior to 2012 (PCV, Water pump and thermostat) but when they resolved that it is proving to be bulletproof engine and better choice reliability wise than 4cyl. Also, it is absolute beast.

Originally Posted by edyvw
The new Q5 however has Ultra version of Quattro system, which means most torque is in front unlike in previous version when spit was 40/60. However, still much more capable than anything else on the market.
Transmission? You will not find anything more reliable than ZF8 transmission or anything that shifts as fast.

The new ones don't use the ZF 8-speed anymore. It's now a 7-speed dual clutch S tronic.

Originally Posted by Quattro Pete

Why did it cost him a ton of money if it was under warranty?

The engine was under warranty. Transmission messed up after warranty. Second time was at like 80k miles if I remember right.

Q5 has probably most reliable transmission available (ZF8). That si fluke. On other hand, thousands of failed transmissions on Dodge Journey were not a fluke.

Dual clutch transmission. He saw lots of others fail in the dealership, he knew it was a common failure by the time his messed up.

The new Q5 however has Ultra version of Quattro system, which means most torque is in front unlike in previous version when spit was 40/60. However, still much more capable than anything else on the market.

The new ones don't use the ZF 8-speed anymore. It's now a 7-speed dual clutch S tronic.

Then I would avoid it, especially a dry clutch unit.

So as far as I read, she wants 2.0ltr? That is EA888 3rd gen engine. Most issues those engines had were resolved by mid 2012. I have VW version of that engine 1st gen. and so far did not have any issue except failed coil packs some 400 miles ago.
Who will maintain that car? They are easy to maintain (do not get maintenance package at all) but need to now that specific oils are warranted etc. It is same price like any other synthetic oils (you can get it in Wal Mart) but she needs to know what to look for.
Is she in FL? Obviously AWD would not be that important, but they do have by far best AWD system in industry. The new Q5 however has Ultra version of Quattro system, which means most torque is in front unlike in previous version when spit was 40/60. However, still much more capable than anything else on the market.
Engine layout is proper, meaning that it is longitudinal layout not transverse. Also, engine is pushed back 3mm compared to previous versions (Audi tend to be bit heavy in nose compared to MB and especially BMW, but much lighter than Lexus or anything coming from Asia or USA. With 4cyl, expect some 53-54% weight in front).
Does she wants strictly new car? Used Q5 with 3.o ltr V6 Supercharged might be an interesting option. That engine proved to be extremely reliable. It had several problems prior to 2012 (PCV, Water pump and thermostat) but when they resolved that it is proving to be bulletproof engine and better choice reliability wise than 4cyl. Also, it is absolute beast.

Water pump is not just "prior to 2012". My coworker bought a 2013 A4 and didn't think to ask me about vw/Audi reliability before making such a bad mistake. Luckily his was under warranty still when the water pump started leaking at 30k. I've never seen that happen at such low miles before.

It's obvious nothing is going to change your opinion about vw because you love them so much. I can sort of understand that, but it sucks that you're giving people advice that might not be able to afford the repairs.

Last edited:

Dual clutch transmission. He saw lots of others fail in the dealership, he knew it was a common failure by the time his messed up.

What year was his?

I was trying to convince her of a 1994 silver Celica, but she would have none of it

lol.gif

but they do have by far best AWD system in industry.

This is a claim that any Subaru owner who lives in an area that sees actual winter would find laughable.
I know that I do.
To the OP, if sis really likes this Audi, then that's what she should buy.
Audis do have really nice interiors and are probably not a whole lot more costly to own and use than any other mainstream car of comparable cost and features would be.
It is a VW product after all, and VW has been in the car business for some years now.
Their products are seen on the road everywhere, so I don't think they can be all that bad.

Originally Posted by walterjay
They are great until they break. Dig deep.

+1. Co-worker got a Q5 from his BIL. Had to spend some $$$$$ to get the intake cleaned with Walnut Shell blasting. I doubt you are going to own that vehicle and spend only a few hundred dollars a year on maintenance.

What year was his?

I'm not 100% but I'm guessing around 2013.

What year was his?

I'm not 100% but I'm guessing around 2013.

The dual clutch appeared in the Q5 only in 2018. It was ZF 8HP before then.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
but they do have by far best AWD system in industry.

This is a claim that any Subaru owner who lives in an area that sees actual winter would find laughable.
I know that I do.
To the OP, if sis really likes this Audi, then that's what she should buy.
Audis do have really nice interiors and are probably not a whole lot more costly to own and use than any other mainstream car of comparable cost and features would be.
It is a VW product after all, and VW has been in the car business for some years now.
Their products are seen on the road everywhere, so I don't think they can be all that bad.
How many AWD VWs have you driven and did you compare them directly with your Subaru(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back