3.6L Pentastar Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have amassed quite a collection of filters for the 3.6L Pentastar in my 2014 Jeep GC.
grin2.gif
Which filter(s) would you recommend using for a 12mo/10,000KM OCI w/Pennzoil Platinum 5W-20?

[Linked Image]

All of them should be able to handle that with good oil just fine.

The K&N and Mopar are the only 2 on my lower end scale.

I'm on my 4th Pentastar, and have always used Napa Gold. I bought a Napa Platinum when they were on ridiculous sale a month or 2 ago. After that, I'll probably use Fram Ultra.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
I currently use Fram Ultra filters in mine.

+1 for the Ultra. I've also used Wix and Mopar in my Caravan.

I've used the Fram's, and I currently have a Mopar filter in my 300. I'll probably stick with the Mopars since I don't extend my OCI's out.

Last edited:
On second Pentastar engine vehicle now using that cartridge filter, usually run Wix but caught a good price on the Fram Ultra so I picked up four of those recently.

I run Fram Ultras and now Mobil 1 filters in my Pentastar, since I found them on clearance at Walmart for 4 bucks each.

I won't run Wix or Napa until I see their filter efficiency and only if it is competitive. Fram XG is 99+% down to 20 microns and M1 is 99% down to 30. Anyone know the numbers for Wix?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by IndyFan
I run Fram Ultras and now Mobil 1 filters in my Pentastar, since I found them on clearance at Walmart for 4 bucks each.

I won't run Wix or Napa until I see their filter efficiency and only if it is competitive. Fram XG is 99+% down to 20 microns and M1 is 99% down to 30. Anyone know the numbers for Wix?

One thing about the Pentastar is that all the filters posted on here buckle, even the ultra! The Ultra for this application uses a plastic mesh instead of the usual wire backing. The XP/Platinum uses a wire mesh, so it should be stronger and not buckle
smile.gif

^^^ Correct on reading the WIX beta ratio numbers. The XP was once shown on the WIX website as 50% @ 20 microns, and O'Rilley's and Amazon show it at 99% @ 35 microns which would correspond to the 50% @ 20 microns.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by IndyFan

One thing about the Pentastar is that all the filters posted on here buckle, even the ultra! The Ultra for this application uses a plastic mesh instead of the usual wire backing. The XP/Platinum uses a wire mesh, so it should be stronger and not buckle
smile.gif

They don't buckle, they twist. Buckling would be creasing. It usually happens because the cap is overtightened, which is easy to do. I will tell you that the Ultra is STRONG. The bond of the mesh to the media is incredibly strong. The media itself is super strong, too. I tore one apart and it required pliars and a shocking amount of force. It shruggs off even the greatest pressure/force the Pentastar can throw at it. Also, I've not torn one apart yet, but the Mobil 1 supposedly has wire mesh, too. Once I run one, I'll tear it apart I'm hoping it is as strong as the Ultra, because I have 12 of them on deck! Lol.

Last edited:
Another thing about the Pentastar Oil filters twisting, the MOPAR fitlers are on their third "AC" revision of the part number. With the third revision, they made the caged center tube section spin independent of the outer filter media section to minimize the twisting when installing.

I pounced on a dozen k&n filters for the Jeep GC and am happy with them. I bought them on clearance at Walmart at a great price. They seem to be a great filter.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

smile.gif

My 3.6L pentastar in the T&C has never crushed a filter. Every filter has come out with perfectly straight pleats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back