New Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Wax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by PimTac
These products do need some time to cure. That's why beading improved from right after application to now.

That is true, but at the same time, during that curing process you shouldn't be getting it wet at all. So you're slightly compromising it's protection if you don't wait 12-24 hours after application before testing out how well it beads water.

Great point.
thumbsup2.gif

I would just skip this and just use Carpro reload. For ceramic like coatings you DON'T want the water to bead on the paint. Sheeting off of the water is where it's at. No to minimal water spots, dirt, etc.
Yes this is cheaper(again you get what you pay) but I don't see the benefit of this "hybrid ceramic" spray.
21.gif

Originally Posted by BIGJ552000
I would just skip this and just use Carpro reload. For ceramic like coatings you DON'T want the water to bead on the paint. Sheeting off of the water is where it's at. No to minimal water spots, dirt, etc.
Yes this is cheaper(again you get what you pay) but I don't see the benefit of this "hybrid ceramic" spray.
21.gif

I agree with the sheeting comment. Sheeting is preferable to beading in every way. That is the beauty of these ceramic or quartz products. If you spray the product on a wet surface you can actually see the sitting water beads flow off.

In case someone asks the question why, it's because water contains minerals. Those beads of water act like a magnifying glass on paper to some extent. This heats up the mineral content in that bead of water and the result is a microscopic pit in the clearcoat.

Originally Posted by BIGJ552000
21.gif

Sheeting is what this product does when applied to a properly prepared surface.

I barely use my towel to dry my car now, just the hose with no nozzle and it will all run right off. The only time I get beads is if I lightly mist the surface. Even then, as soon as they start to combine they start to run off.

Bringing an old thread back.

I washed my Silverado today and put hybrid ceramic wax on it. It was the initial application, so I "waxed while I dried" like they said. My truck is white, so it looks really good, paint is nice and slick. My only issue is the windows are smeared. Almost like there is oil on them? It came off with some Sprayway, but I thought it was odd. I tried to buff it out without glass cleaner, but it wasn't budging.

Overall, it was easy to apply and I only used about 1/4 of the bottle. The paint and the plastic trim looks great. It also looks really good on my flat black off-road steps.

We'll see how long it lasts!

Originally Posted by K20FA5
Bringing an old thread back.

I washed my Silverado today and put hybrid ceramic wax on it. It was the initial application, so I "waxed while I dried" like they said. My truck is white, so it looks really good, paint is nice and slick. My only issue is the windows are smeared. Almost like there is oil on them? It came off with some Sprayway, but I thought it was odd. I tried to buff it out without glass cleaner, but it wasn't budging.

Overall, it was easy to apply and I only used about 1/4 of the bottle. The paint and the plastic trim looks great. It also looks really good on my flat black off-road steps.

We'll see how long it lasts!

Buffing with a damp rag will remove any HCW streaking.

These products do need some time to cure. That's why beading improved from right after application to now.

That is true, but at the same time, during that curing process you shouldn't be getting it wet at all. So you're slightly compromising it's protection if you don't wait 12-24 hours after application before testing out how well it beads water.

From my reading/research, at least for the Meguiars HCW, you DON'T need any cure time. None. Just follow the directions.

I applied this product but not quite as directed (my mistake).

My paint was washed then clayed with a synthetic clay bar/lubricat, washed again with stripper soap and dried it, glazed it, then used Extreme Top Coat, and finally Butter wax coated back in December with all Chemical Guys products (1st usage for me - yes a couple of days). It really needs a cut and polish but I've only recently purchased the tools/chemicals to do so. My car is daily driven, garage kept during the night and weekends but sits out at work during the day. It is nearly 8 years old and has what I would think is a fairly thin clear coat from the factory. I do have lots of swirls and car wash machine scratches cause I was too lazy for several years to do a proper car wash.

For this product, I washed/rinsed as normal and then applied the HCW (1st application) to the wet car after I fully shook the bottle. I then used a dry microfiber towel to spread the product around and pseudo dried it but keep using the same microfiber towel (now saturated with water and HCW). I then washed that panel down and moved to another panel (using the same saturated microfiber towel). I did a final whole car rinse and then using a clean/dry waffle weave microfiber drying towel, dried the car off before water spots could hit. Yes, I was out in the full sun (my bad) and surface was very warm to the touch. I had to hit just a few spots with another dry microfiber towel to remove the slight haze left due to not applying this correctly. I should have used a dry microfiber towel per section and buffed it dry which I believe is their intent for the first application.

So far, I like the shine and I will use the simple HCW spray on, rinse off and microfiber towel dry technique for future car washes. I'll be able to judge how long it lasts then but my final rinse did result in plenty of water beading and was super easy to dry off.

The one rain storm that has hit me so far only left some pollen water spots as it dried before I drove the car. Pollen is super bad this time of year and I'm hoping the HCW will help allow it to just "blow off" by driving it at highway speeds rather than another full wash. We'll see but I'm hopeful.

Last edited:
The other day, smashed bugs were very easy to remove from the grill.

We had some rain today, so I took a few pics of the beading of the Hybrid Ceramic Wax. Looks great to me and the paint is very slick. I put it everywhere on the outside. Even the plastic bad caps are beading. Now to see how it lasts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

04C77E8A-68C0-4EAD-88B7-911173BC6011.jpeg

24851647-DE1D-49E3-AF00-BD2AC747E994.jpeg

45E4C1EC-6171-45C5-8061-AF36DE176A29.jpeg

I have never understood the hype behind ANY Meguiars product. There are so many better products out there for the same or less in cost.

Originally Posted by 007
I have never understood the hype behind ANY Meguiars product. There are so many better products out there for the same or less in cost.

Oh?

Care to share?

Originally Posted by 007

Another grampi student
lol.gif

I used it, applied it to a properly prepared surface as per directions for the initial application. Then a week later I applied it as per directions for the coat/coats following the initial application. All I can say so far is I used a lot of product. I have a feeling when I'm done with this bottle I'll go back to Jescar Powerlock [which I really like]. The gloss is better and it beads water better. Yes it is more work, but if it lasts longer and looks better it's worth it to me.

The next test will be how long it lasts, that might win my repeat business.

I washed my car and reapplied HCW this past weekend, it was a good few weeks. Bugs and bird crap washed off easier, the wax was still beading. It seems to be holding up to city life better than my usual choice of Nanowax. The longest lasting wax I've used is Griot's 3-in-1 Wax. I have a white car so "pop" isn't as important to me. But so far, so good.

Originally Posted by WhizkidTN

From my reading/research, at least for the Meguiars HCW, you DON'T need any cure time. None. Just follow the directions.

They're speaking of the glass coating materials like CQuartz. This stuff does not take time to cure.

Originally Posted by JHZR2

They're speaking of the glass coating materials like CQuartz. This stuff does not take time to cure.

It's not the same type of curing as a ceramic coating where it absolutely should be kept out of the elements for 24 hours otherwise it's severely compromised, but from reading the Meguiar's forums, the technical reps from Meguiar's do say that these products do need to have their own curing time for best protection from the elements, or if you're going to layer another coat of something on top of it.

Another under performer. Pretty soon there will be a show down post on this fabulous new ceramic wonder wax compared to the world standard Turtle Wax line. LOL It too will lose that battle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back