New Beater!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So while I still enjoy my S10, it isn't quite as useful as I need to it be being just 2wd. Been looking around at trucks in my price range and thought I found one being a 2005 Chevy Colorado 4wd. Took a look at it today, but the frame, suspension, etc was rotted beyond belief. A quick search and this truck popped up, and while above my budget it had been siting at the lot for a while. After a little haggling, it's in my driveway (No I did not pay what the dealer had on their site, I'm sure some of you will look it up).

2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Offroad with 130K. Ok, so not a beater, but, hey I'll call it that since it's replacing my old one. I had no idea how expensive these trucks are. The interior is pretty much mint, but the exterior could use alot of polishing. The previous owner(s) took off the TRD stickers and had some painted on. Goofy looking things, but removal might prove difficult, oh well. It did have an ARE cap, but I had them remove it. It was a really nice unit, but would hinder my use of the truck. They did the leaf spring and frame recall. The truck was from Virginia, so the frame was good enough they just coated it with their special goop. It also has new pads, rotors, and they replaced the exhaust from the cat back. It has some surface rust, but hey it's a 10 year old truck. Onto a couple pictures...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yikes....painted badges can be cool but they look their artistic license for a trip to the 80s.

They would have been cool if they had just painted the OEM badges on there.

Originally Posted by eljefino
Is this what they call humble-bragging?
laugh.gif

Nah, not trying to come off that way. Just finally at a point in my life I can start getting better "junk"
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by blupupher
So how much did you pay (approximately)?
And that thing is in no way a beater.

Around 13K out the door.

And the beater thing is somewhat of a joke.
grin.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The truck is still listed. Dealers are sometimes slow to remove sold vehicles off their website.
https://www.youngertoyota.com/used-Frederick-2009-Toyota-Tacoma-Base-5TEUU42N79Z638538

I knew somebody was gonna do it!
lol.gif
I was gonna remove the tag, but it's pretty nasty under there. Guess I should have now.

Very clean truck! Congrats!

One good thing about the custom paint decoration...you know it wasn't owned by some snot nosed punk kid. That's not a very bro-truck font.
lol.gif

Nice ride. I have an old 2001 Tundra with almost 200K.
People always asking to buy it.
My cowboy friends tell me, "Ya ain't sh.. if ya ain't got a truck."

ever preowned 4WD pickups with higher miles are overpriced + due to reputation + popularity Tacos are the worse. a decent find + good luck. last year after an icy slide i needed a quick replacement for my like new 08 colorado LS 4wd + wanting only a manual tranny + low miles pickings were slim. i ended up with a decent 28 thou mile 2010 nissan frontier, a pickup i wanted for a while, of course i paid for lo miles 19 G before taxes etc. 4 wd pickups like SUV's are popular + costlier, so if you wanna play you gotta pay!

Yea any 4wd truck around here is way overpriced. I wanted another Frontier, but there was none within my traveling distance worth a salt. We've had several Toyota's and had good look with them, so I figured what the heck. There was a good bit of full sized trucks in my price range, but honestly I don't need anything like that. I know gas mileage is the same as a full sized (in retrospect the S10 could barely get 15 so...), but the Taco is a whole lot easier to maneuver. It does sit a bit higher than anything I've had and it rides a little floaty, but it's just something I'll have to get used to. Now I gotta get a maintenance plan set out before winter!

Originally Posted by spasm3
Nice truck! I wish toyota made a 3/4 ton truck.

I remember some Toyota dually concepts a while back (10 years?).....Had 19.5" rims/tires & a 8.0L I6 Hino diesel. With their 1/2 ton pick-up market penetration being so low.....I don't blame them for not pursuing it any further!

A 6.4L-7.0L V8 or even a I6 mated to a HD Aisin 6-speed auto would be sweet......Not that I would run out & buy one, That's the problem I guess!!

Originally Posted by Char Baby
BEATER?
That's beautious!
Nice find.
smile.gif

That's exactly what I was thinking too!
cheers3.gif

Thanks fellas! Drove it a little bit today down to get the insurance squared away and I'm pretty pleased. There is one issue that, shame on me for not looking closer, but the tires on it are definitely past their prime. With all the tire shine goop they put on it I didn't notice the tires (Michelin's, imagine that!) are cracked. Thought it was just the sidewall, but the tread is slightly as well. Gonna go back to the dealer Monday to see what they'll do, but fully expecting them to tell me to pound sand. For the time being I'll just take it easy (I know that most would advise against that).

Originally Posted by Delta
Thanks fellas! Drove it a little bit today down to get the insurance squared away and I'm pretty pleased. There is one issue that, shame on me for not looking closer, but the tires on it are definitely past their prime. With all the tire shine goop they put on it I didn't notice the tires (Michelin's, imagine that!) are cracked. Thought it was just the sidewall, but the tread is slightly as well. Gonna go back to the dealer Monday to see what they'll do, but fully expecting them to tell me to pound sand. For the time being I'll just take it easy (I know that most would advise against that).

What is the date code on the tires?
If they are more than 6 years old, you could definitely raise a stink at the dealer.
I would try for dealer cost for tires and split the mount and balance fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back