just picked up a new 1978 f150

79 was the last year of that body style. 78 was the last year of round headlights. I think before 78 the grill was different. Dash was the same through that style I think. 80 was a new body style but the guage pods were in the similar square but the indicator lights were at the top of the dash. The same kinda dash was in the vans into the 80s.

I think that should be a 79 unless someone changed the headlights at some point. Yours has the nice shifter that beats up the person sitting in the middle. Bang your knuckles on the dash in first. Hit them in the crotch in fourth and smash their leg in reverse.
That's right! I just did some more digging here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_F-Series_(seventh_generation)

OP's is a sixth gen while I was referring to the 7th gen. I was warm but not correct. Thanks!

I always thought they put the 6.2L in those 1/2 tons but there it is talking about the Olds. 5.7L. Interesting!
78 to 80 i believe you could order a 5.7 before they decided it was a bad idea.

mine is a 1978 c10 auto. second engine , lucky for me its a gm goodwrench rebuild which was only used for about 5000 miles before it was parked.

My boss just bought a 78 F100 with a 300 and and an automatic, power steering, manual brakes. Slow as molasses but never quits pulling. It's actually a really solid short bed.

another fine shop truck to add to my fleet. 1978 351m 4 speed. engine was locked up from sitting but hillbilly bob got it unseized before i picked up the truck(best not to ask).
Back in the day we had a 48 Ford 1 ton that was seized up. I wasn’t there but dad told me he took a huge dead blow hammer and hit the pistons with it until it started moving. He put the head back on and it ran fine for multiple decades.

Looks pretty wore out for a brand new truck. Ford needs to get their quality control back in check.

Hmmm... was it built on a Friday?

Back