just picked up a new 1978 f150

Pretty sure 1979 was the next squarish body style but it looks like they reused those same 1978 gauges in them. Hope you get some use out of it. Just a local truck use?

Pretty sure 1979 was the next squarish body style but it looks like they reused those same 1978 gauges in them. Hope you get some use out of it. Just a local truck use?
more or less , im going to clean it up fix some dents and rust and stay pretty local (400kms from home more or less)
i plan to run the powertrain as is for as long as it goes.

My grandma had that vehicle from 1978 in super cab 4wd with long bed.

She sold in immaculate condition in 2000 for $800 with 10k miles because the transmission kept leaking all the fluid out. Everything worked including AC.

You bought my truck’s little brother! Mine is a 78 F250 4x4
100_1330.jpeg
IMG_4922.jpeg

79 was the last year of that body style. 78 was the last year of round headlights. I think before 78 the grill was different. Dash was the same through that style I think. 80 was a new body style but the guage pods were in the similar square but the indicator lights were at the top of the dash. The same kinda dash was in the vans into the 80s.
You bought my truck’s little brother! Mine is a 78 F250 4x4
View attachment 210357View attachment 210358
I think that should be a 79 unless someone changed the headlights at some point. Yours has the nice shifter that beats up the person sitting in the middle. Bang your knuckles on the dash in first. Hit them in the crotch in fourth and smash their leg in reverse.

Do the brakes do anything? Pedal looks pretty low, and like it's from an automatic truck.
No hydraulic clutch so they can come up way high. The 79 my dad had was worn to the point the pedal caught when you took your foot off of it. Had to tap it underneath with your foot to get it to pop up to get it off the throw out bearing.

I think that should be a 79 unless someone changed the headlights at some point. Yours has the nice shifter that beats up the person sitting in the middle. Bang your knuckles on the dash in first. Hit them in the crotch in fourth and smash their leg in reverse.
In my understanding the Ranger, Ranger xlt and Ranger Lariat had the square headlights in 78 while the Base and Custom trucks had the round headlights.

This particular truck I believe had the front end, decals and interior swapped over from a Ranger Xlt. Along with a 460 from a Lincoln, Mercury or Ford passenger car.

im going to clean it up fix some dents and rust and stay pretty local (400kms from home more or less)
i plan to run the powertrain
Log each step and make a video....
Step 1: Air up tires so it'll roll.......

You gotta see if it'll fire up and run before any sprucing-up. Best of luck.

Log each step and make a video....
Step 1: Air up tires so it'll roll.......

You gotta see if it'll fire up and run before any sprucing-up. Best of luck.
those are pictures of where i picked it up from. tires are aired and it is washed and does run fine.

Back