Always get an inspection: A cautionary tale

A good buddy of mine has been looking for an SUV in the $5-8000 range to use as a work vehicle, and this weekend came across what looked like a beautiful low-mile Olds Bravada.

On first glance, the thing looked perfect. No exterior rust, completely rebuilt front end, 8/32's on the Bridgestone Dueler H/T's. It was an elderly woman owned truck and it showed. Unfortunately, it was hiding a dark secret...

Being WELL aware of the frame rot issues these GMT360's, I immediately checked the rear trailing arm mounts. As nice as the truck was, BOTH upper arm mounts were 80+% gone. There was almost NO metal around the head of the bolt, one good pothole and either/both side would have snapped off.

Needless to say, the sellers were bummed but my buddy was beyond thankful that I was still in town for the holiday's and had time to go with him. Moral of the story? Always, ALWAYS do research about common issues and get an inspection on any used vehicle you may be looking at purchasing.

A good buddy of mine has been looking for an SUV in the $5-8000 range to use as a work vehicle, and this weekend came across what looked like a beautiful low-mile Olds Bravada.

On first glance, the thing looked perfect. No exterior rust, completely rebuilt front end, 8/32's on the Bridgestone Dueler H/T's. It was an elderly woman owned truck and it showed. Unfortunately, it was hiding a dark secret...

Being WELL aware of the frame rot issues these GMT360's, I immediately checked the rear trailing arm mounts. As nice as the truck was, BOTH upper arm mounts were 80+% gone. There was almost NO metal around the head of the bolt, one good pothole and either/both side would have snapped off.

Needless to say, the sellers were bummed but my buddy was beyond thankful that I was still in town for the holiday's and had time to go with him. Moral of the story? Always, ALWAYS do research about common issues and get an inspection on any used vehicle you may be looking at purchasing.
Glad you were able to help out. In all reality-you are not going to get any "deals" at 5 grand in today's market.

For the last 15 years I've been buying most of my vehicles out of state for this reason... Rust! If you're willing to travel which puts more of a gamble on the situation but it could pay off.

Gotta be careful. A small used car lot had an early 00's blazer for sale for a pretty reasonable price. In the pictures it looked like it was in great shape. Swung by when they were closed and took a much closer look. The frame wasn't terrible but the body was 90% bondo. Wheel wells, door bottoms, rear hatch. Someone did an okay-ish DIY job painting it - but it wouldn't last for long. First cold snap I bet the entire body cracked.

Great that you caught all the rust.

How much would you charge a non friend to inspect a vehicle bumper to bumper ?

Great that you caught all the rust.

How much would you charge a non friend to inspect a vehicle bumper to bumper ?
I guess no one has ever asked me that... Shoot me a PM if you want to chat more about it.

I always take a HIGH POWERED (2000+ Lumens) flashlight to go look at a car; and a 4" mirror on a telescopic handle. Another thing that will unmistakably find body work is a paint mil gauge. A good shop can match/blend color and do clear coat, but no one will ever match the OEM paint thickness.

Be certain that whoever does the inspection is thorough. I had a car inspected by a mechanic for which he did not charge me. Even put it on his lift. He missed a $300 plus dollar AC hose that was ruptured.

Back