Finding a new mechanic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to stop by shop 2 again. Is it acceptable to ask what brand of seal they'd use and what is a reasonable length of warranty on the job? Only going by online reviews and feel from a very short visit I have no reason to pay $150 more to shop 1 and yes he had all the same info as the other 2. The RMS leak seems to be mentioned enough on Xterra forums that it's a known issue. Looking at the $750 another way it's 3 smallish monthly car payments. Other than tires and an AC hose & recharge it hasn't cost me anything else since I got it in late 2014.

How bad is the leak, is it dripping on the ground at all?

I was quoted $750 at the Honda dealer for a RMS leak, that was really a weep. Shopped around and most places including indies were all the same price. Found a great Honda dealer that did it for $500. This is where the serv. mgr answers the phone and has been there forever. Called up Honda corp to see if they would cover any portion of the repair even though I was out of warranty. They agreed to pay half. So the bill was $250.

Another factor in choosing a shop,pick one that is clean,organized,and spotless. Run away from the ones that are filthy and in complete disarray.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Another factor in choosing a shop,pick one that is clean,organized,and spotless. Run away from the ones that are filthy and in complete disarray.

As long as it isn't a health hazard a little chaos sometimes comes with genius

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Is it acceptable to ask what brand of seal they'd use and what is a reasonable length of warranty on the job?

You can ask but they may just tell you it will be whatever brand their supplier has available. If you start requesting certain brands, they might decide to increase the mark-up even more or take an extra day to do the work because they "had to wait for the part you requested". Lastly, if you know the brand, are you going to look it up and see what you could have bought it for vs what they charged you for ?

It sounds like at least 2 of the shops gave "fair" rates (based on replies other have given in this thread). Pick one, get the work done, and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back