How do you keep bolts organized when disassembling things

I recently dropped an oil pan on a 3/4 ton Chevy. I also had to drop the front axle a bit. On the way to the shop where I did the work, I picked up a box of 1/2 cup canning jars. I took the tops off and arranged the jars in a row. As I disassembled things, I place the bolts in groupings in the jars, starting at the left and working right. With the jars being clear I was able to clearly see the bolts. When re-assembly everything I just looked at the jars and brought out the bolts and nuts and worked right to left. It was a great way to keep me organized. I'll certainly do it again. What works for you?

For projects with a number of subassemblies but a relatively small number of bolts & screws, solo cups and a marker. Stack them in a corner for longer term projects. Otherwise, old muffin trays.

For larger or odd-shaped assemblies I draw a rough schematic of the part and its holes on a piece of scrap cardboard and simply press the fasteners into the correct positions on the cardboard. Easy to store and easy to put everything back where it goes.

Bolts in cardboard is good, baggies with marker is good, but usually I don't take stuff apart and wait weeks before getting back to it. So I usually just have a mess and hope I remember where it all goes.

Will say, sometimes I can thread the bolt back into whatever place it came out of, after removing the bracket or whatever. No labeling required.

Those little magnetic trays, those can be nice, place several on a vehicle, wherever the bolts came out of.

My processes:
1. Put nuts or bolts back in it's location if applicable (shorts bolts)...
2. Windshield cowls. Separate by functions.
3. Magnetic trays.

I picked up a large variety of galvanized big long bolts and gate hinges at an auction, 5 gallon buckets worked, but they are still poking above the line. Not a great solution. They were on a wooden shelf before, and I will have to probably cobble something similar later.

When I have stripped and chopped a few cars, everything goes into folgers cans. Again not a great solution, but I am subscribed to other suggestions to see what folks do. Its a pain to root through them but having them has saved my butt many times.

Haven't used these personally, but they look very handy.

intakemanifold_1024x1024@2x.jpg

I recently dropped an oil pan on a 3/4 ton Chevy. I also had to drop the front axle a bit. On the way to the shop where I did the work, I picked up a box of 1/2 cup canning jars. I took the tops off and arranged the jars in a row. As I disassembled things, I place the bolts in groupings in the jars, starting at the left and working right. With the jars being clear I was able to clearly see the bolts. When re-assembly everything I just looked at the jars and brought out the bolts and nuts and worked right to left. It was a great way to keep me organized. I'll certainly do it again. What works for you?

depends if I had done the job before or not.

I do mostly the same as you, all the bots removed from one location in 1 jar.

When the parts need to go back where they came from (bearing caps etc) i pin them in order on a piece of cardboard.

But simple stuff like a gearbox, all in 1 jar.

Bolts in cardboard is good, baggies with marker is good, but usually I don't take stuff apart and wait weeks before getting back to it. So I usually just have a mess and hope I remember where it all goes.

Will say, sometimes I can thread the bolt back into whatever place it came out of, after removing the bracket or whatever. No labeling required.

Those little magnetic trays, those can be nice, place several on a vehicle, wherever the bolts came out of.

Sometimes I have (had) to wait weeks for parts, that's not helpful for sure if you did other jobs in between. but otherwise like you no labelling required. i just helps to have the bolts taken from under the hood in 1 place and the ones from below in another.

The front plate of a 22RE is one thing, piece of cardboard and place the bolts as taken off, anything else goes into a bucket and there is a problem if you have bolts left over ;)

I use these a lot, they are great for separating nuts and bolts. I am doing injectors (replace 2 rebuilt 4) on a BMW 535d, lots of 10, 11 and 8mm nuts. The small one is useful for small jobs, no need to high dollar on stuff like this.

Back