- 2000 Lexus GS300
- 2000 Lexus ES300
- 1999 Honda Civic LX

Also had it in my previous vehicles:
- 2004 Lexus IS300
- 2010 Honda Civic LX
- 2001 Honda Civic LX (x2)
- 1993 Honda Civic LX

All vehicles performed well on Maxlife ATF and cold weather shifting (first 10 mins of driving) was greatly improved in all listed vehicles. Have yet to see if this trend continues with the 2000 Lexus GS300, as I just recently bought this vehicle and haven't had cold weather yet. But something tells me the result will be identical to the other vehicles listed.

Castrol Transmax full synthetic multi-vehicle ATF is certified for use in all Toyota vehicles.

Originally Posted by wdn
Castrol Transmax full synthetic multi-vehicle ATF is certified for use in all Toyota vehicles.

Recommended for and certified/licensed aren't the same. As far as I know, Toyota does not license any fluid except for their own. Aisin has a WS fluid, but they are owned in part by Toyota so I'm pretty positive that it's the same fluid. GM sells GM labeled WS fluid for their Vibe which is basically a Matrix.

There is a Mobil ATF 3324 (JWS 3324, or Toyota WS).... I've never actually seen any of it though, only on Mobil's website.

On my last drain/fill on my 07 Tacoma I used about 3.2 quarts of Maxlife, which is now mixed with somewhere in the neighborhood of 9 quarts of WS. About 20k miles prior the drain/fill I did a cooler line flush with WS. The WS that came out of the pan on this drain/fill looked new despite some heavy towing and a lot of short trips. The WS I flushed out the first time at around 60k was nearly black, but smelled ok.
I did a drain/fill at 51k before a roadtrip and it was pretty black, so that's what prompted me to flush it.

The transmission is shifting as good or better than before with the Maxlife in there so I am going to keep using it. I got a couple cases at Napa a while back for $4/quart. When I run out of that I'll start buying the gallon jugs at Walmart for $17 or $18. I'm also using Maxlife ATF for the PS, my rack and pinion is seeping slightly and wetting the bottom of the boots, but that started on the factory fluid, I flushed it with M1 synthetic ATF, then several more times over the last few years with Maxlife. It's not really leaking and I don't ever have to add fluid, so until it starts doing more than weeping slightly I'm not aiming to fix it.

It says the word ‘certified' for use in all Toyota vehicles the Castrol Transmax label just like I wrote it. And it is full synthetic ATF. I have a quart of the stuff right in front of me.

Originally Posted by wdn
It says the word ‘certified' for use in all Toyota vehicles the Castrol Transmax label just like I wrote it. And it is full synthetic ATF. I have a quart of the stuff right in front of me.

Certified by who? I have absolutely no doubt that it works fine in the applications specified by them. But to me if it doesn't have a license number, it might as well say "recommended for use in the following applications:". Toyota doesn't recommend using any fluid that isn't from them. They don't license fluids like GM, Ford and Chrysler do, and I'm certain that they don't verify aftermarket fluids to work in their vehicles... like I said, certified by who? It says certified on the bottle, but if you have a warranty issue using that fluid, the dealership/Toyota is gonna put up a fight to get out of paying. You might take them to court and get a ruling in your favor based on Magnuson-Moss, but that's a huge (theoretical) hassle to save a few bucks/quart over the OEM ATF. Furthermore you would have to have a representative from Castrol prove that their ATF did not cause the failure.... good luck to you there. If your car is under warranty, the best policy in my opinion is to use the OEM approved ATF.

Edit: If a manufacturer was claiming a failure was caused by an aftermarket fluid, the burden of proof would be on them? Who then does the failure analysis? A third party of whose choosing? It's just a mess.... best case scenario if you had a failure using aftermarket fluid in a vehicle with an intact warranty would be if the fluid manufacturer stepped up and paid... but I can't see that happening without a convincing argument either. They would most likely try to say that you incorrectly filled the trans, and Toyota would say that you incorrectly filled the trans, and/or used an improper fluid.

Last edited:
Certified by Aisin the transmission manufacturer of Toyota vehicles. Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid is OEM certified by Aisin as meeting JWS 3324 specificiation. I just got off the phone with Castrol support. They said it is indeed certified by Aisin, hence Toyota. Not 'recommended' certified, as in Castrol paid the money got the product tested and have a certification by Aisin. The same spec that sold in bottles as Toyota Brand WS. That is OEM cerfification just like the example you gave of Aisin's own JWS 3324 product.

That is completely unlike Maxlife ATF that comes with the disclaimer: "it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF in these applications."

See there is a difference, the Castrol Transmax is indeed OEM certified and the Vavlvoline product is not.

Originally Posted by wdn
Certified by Aisin the transmission manufacturer of Toyota vehicles. Castrol Transmax Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid is OEM certified by Aisin as meeting JWS 3324 specificiation. I just got off the phone with Castrol support. They said it is indeed certified by Aisin, hence Toyota. Not 'recommended' certified, as in Castrol paid the money got the product tested and have a certification by Aisin. The same spec that sold in bottles as Toyota Brand WS. That is OEM cerfification just like the example you gave of Aisin's own JWS 3324 product.

That is completely unlike Maxlife ATF that comes with the disclaimer: "it should be noted that MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF is not an OEM licensed product. The respective vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor endorsed MaxLife Multi-Vehicle ATF in these applications."

See there is a difference, the Castrol Transmax is indeed OEM certified and the Vavlvoline product is not.

I wonder if people will stop recommending Maxlife for Toyota WS applications based on this information as they do with the Amsoil ATF because of licensing. Or Valvoline gets a pass because it's Valvoline.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
I wonder if people will stop recommending Maxlife for Toyota WS applications based on this information as they do with the Amsoil ATF because of licensing. Or Valvoline gets a pass because it's Valvoline.
wink.gif

Just like the fluids, there are recommendations and there are certifications.

Sometimes the manufacturer's wording makes it difficult to determine which is which, but not in this instance.

Originally Posted by kschachn
wink.gif

Just like the fluids, there are recommendations and there are certifications.

Right and Maxlife isn't Certified, just recommended so I want to know if this changes folks recommending it in WS applications or they get a free pass or not.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by wdn

wink.gif

There is plenty of hate for Valvoline around here. Heck my 12K OCI with SynPower got me some bashing til the Blackstone report proved it was fine. Just like it's been proven time and time again Maxlife ATF works fine in Toyotas. I don't, never have, and probably never will own a Toyota but I sell Maxlife ATF all day at work to retail customers and shops that put it in Toyotas with 0 issues.

Last edited:
Right and Maxlife isn't Certified, just recommended so I want to know if this changes folks recommending it in WS applications or they get a free pass or not.
wink.gif

Correct it is not. You didn't seem to have a problem distinguishing between the two here.

It's all about the wording. If someone wishes to sell a fluid that does not have the actual certification or licensing then there's no problem with that as long as it is clearly labeled as such. Then the consumer can make an informed decision based on the company's reputation and history. It is when the wording is deliberately ambiguous that there's a problem.

Originally Posted by dogememe

There is plenty of hate for Valvoline around here. Heck my 12K OCI with SynPower got me some bashing til the Blackstone report proved it was fine. Just like it's been proven time and time again Maxlife ATF works fine in Toyotas.

I'm not saying it isn't a top notch fluid that is fully capable of providing excellent protection in WS applications, I'm just interested to see if Valvoline Maxlife which seems to be an answer for everything transmission based will still be the recommendation for WS fluids now that we know it's not OEM Certified. Especially under warranty periods as they call out Amsoil for repeatedly all the time.

Last edited:
wink.gif

Correct it is not. You didn't seem to have a problem distinguishing between the two here.

What are you talking about?

What are you talking about?

Did you hear back on your inquiry yet?

No not as of this morning... Don't worry I will post it.

wink.gif

Valvoline has more OEM ATF experience than Amsoil does. So yes, I am more willing to give a company that actually does make at least some OEM ATF a little more leeway than I'd give an MLM
27.gif

Toyota, and the Japanese in general, usually don't do the formal licensing programs that GM and the Euros do. In addition, they are not as picky, either.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog

wink.gif

Valvoline has more OEM ATF experience than Amsoil does. So yes, I am more willing to give a company that actually does make at least some OEM ATF a little more leeway than I'd give an MLM
27.gif

Toyota, and the Japanese in general, usually don't do the formal licensing programs that GM and the Euros do. In addition, they are not as picky, either.

Yet they have been around since the 1970's with increasing sales year after year all on word of mouth marketing. I challenge you to find a forum anywhere where the folks using the stuff aren't raving about the stuff. I'll take that over OEM certifications any day and when OE's build stuff to be cost effective and "good enough" and not the best and you put more weight into that when there might be better available? Be it Amsoil, Redline or whoever... Seems to me, you and many others just want to crucify companies like Amsoil because they use MLM or don't carry licenses (other than their OE Line of fluids) because it's the "in thing" to do but give other companies like Valvoline a pass when they do the same? Bit of a double standard don't you think?

Last edited:
Back