Drain and refill fluid substitute for Toyota WS?

Assuming Maxlife ATF is $8-9/qt and OEM WS is $12-13/qt - the difference is $5/qt approx.
If you use a gallon for a drain and fill every 2 yrs (or 25,000 miles) then the cost difference is about $25 amortized over 2 yr period = is $13 per year.
Why, why not just use the OEM fluid. I think it's worth the peace of mind for 13 bucks a year.

Believe me, I know because I had a pay partially for a Honda transmission rebuild - because a "stupid" mechanic put in the non-OEM fluid (when I had specifically asked for DW-1) in my Odyssey. Paying $1500 was not fun.

if you do some more research on WS fluid it was originally created as a "fuel efficient ATF" for example if you go back and look at the 4R A750 transmission it has been UNCHANGED internally since it came out in 2003 and still the same today and was spec'd for T-IV fluid. The T-IV has a sooner drain interval then what Toyota specs for ws fluid because its all about environmental waste having to pay more fees because of it. when they switched Toyota also said it was lifetime fluid or 100k mile fluid. if you look up from aisin themselves they recommend changing your atf every 2 years or 20,000 KM!! In my opinion i feel that's a little excessive but im just stating what they are saying. the main thing here though is changing your fluid sooner then later is better then not changing it at all. the biggest issue is waiting too long to change out your fluid. my personal preference is 30-50k miles MAX

Assuming Maxlife ATF is $8-9/qt and OEM WS is $12-13/qt - the difference is $5/qt approx.
If you use a gallon for a drain and fill every 2 yrs (or 25,000 miles) then the cost difference is about $25 amortized over 2 yr period = is $13 per year.
Why, why not just use the OEM fluid. I think it's worth the peace of mind for 13 bucks a year.

Believe me, I know because I had a pay partially for a Honda transmission rebuild - because a "stupid" mechanic put in the non-OEM fluid (when I had specifically asked for DW-1) in my Odyssey. Paying $1500 was not fun.
You have a failure that was directly the cause of the fluid? And it was proven to be so?

I used this in my xB²
Cost effective, and I believe Mobil makes WS for Toyota
Mobil 3324
PXL_20221105_182920139.jpg

Last edited:
I have had good luck with Idemitsu TLS-LV in my wife's RAV4. Seems to behave the same as Toyota WS. But WS is cheaper unless you find a sale on Idemitsu or buy from Rockauto. Mobil 3324 is on Amazon for $55/6 quarts.

I’m new to the world of servicing automatic transmissions. I just bought a 2009 Scion with the U241E four-speed auto. It has 120k miles and I think it’s time for new fluid. The manual specs Toyota WS fluid, which is $$$. For the final fill I will likely use Valvoline Maxlife but I want to do several short interval drains before the final fill. Rural King sells a Dexron 3 equivalent fluid at $27 for a two gallon jug so I could potentially circle a whole bunch of fluid through cheaply. Walmart sells their Supertech Dexron 6 for $20 a gallon. Is either any better or worse for a short interval fill?

Or should I just spend the extra bucks and use Maxlife for the whole thing? Does it matter? Am I overthinking this?
Just use maxlife

Is WS really that expensive?

I changed over to HPL in my Tundra, which specs WS. The AMSOIL worked well, the HPL works well, and I do a complete change, which in the truck takes 14 quarts.

Those were expensive (and worth it) but I think you could get the WS at the dealer for much less. I see Aisin WS on Rockauto for about $7.50/quart.
Just keep in mind the Aisin WS is a higher viscosity ATF vs Toyota WS. I service a lot of these, and noticed the discrepancy when looking at Aisin’s product data sheet. Seen too many Toyotas with over 300k on the transmission running Toyota fluid to experiment anymore.

I’m new to the world of servicing automatic transmissions. I just bought a 2009 Scion with the U241E four-speed auto. It has 120k miles and I think it’s time for new fluid. The manual specs Toyota WS fluid, which is $$$. For the final fill I will likely use Valvoline Maxlife but I want to do several short interval drains before the final fill. Rural King sells a Dexron 3 equivalent fluid at $27 for a two gallon jug so I could potentially circle a whole bunch of fluid through cheaply. Walmart sells their Supertech Dexron 6 for $20 a gallon. Is either any better or worse for a short interval fill?

Or should I just spend the extra bucks and use Maxlife for the whole thing? Does it matter? Am I overthinking this?
I would only put in stuff you feel comfortable leaving in longterm. Dex3 is definitely out and I don't know of anyone who has put in supertech in a toyota product. Watch the car care nut on youtube for professional advice, he only recommends drains but no flushes and not too often. I have for over 20 years added lubegard (the red bottle)to all my automatic transmissions). It fixed two honda trannies but in one of them I also had to use instant shudder fix for a slight shudder at around 25 mph a couple years ago and it's running perfect since.

My preference has been either valvoline, as it is a synthetic, while WS is not, or amsoil. Except in ULV applications, amsoil is what I stick with. Never had any issues with it and it holds up well. When working on friend’s vehicles, depending on my stash or costs, maxlife has come into play.

In my limited experience, amsoil tends to provide a more positive shift/engagement feel than maxlife.

M

You have a failure that was directly the cause of the fluid? And it was proven to be so?
2002 Odyssey with up to date on all service, trans TSB done on time, on regular drain and fill with DW-1 every 30k miles (at dealership), started slipping trans 1 wk after the non-OEM fluid change. Took it back to the indie shop 3 times, and all they would do is clear out the codes, 3 visits later they finally confess that they put in GM trams fluid - initially. But not to worry, they changed it again with DW-1 at the last visit (but obviously they didn't say so at the time, only 1 mo later!!
By that time, the trans was slipping bad, had to take it to the dealership. Timing of problems starting right after the service makes me suspect it was the GM fluid that caused it. Obviously no hard proof.

2002 Odyssey with up to date on all service, trans TSB done on time, on regular drain and fill with DW-1 every 30k miles (at dealership), started slipping trans 1 wk after the non-OEM fluid change. Took it back to the indie shop 3 times, and all they would do is clear out the codes, 3 visits later they finally confess that they put in GM trams fluid - initially. But not to worry, they changed it again with DW-1 at the last visit (but obviously they didn't say so at the time, only 1 mo later!!
By that time, the trans was slipping bad, had to take it to the dealership. Timing of problems starting right after the service makes me suspect it was the GM fluid that caused it. Obviously no hard proof.
So the answer is no.

The Carfax says the fluid was changed at 107K by a Valvoline outlet. When I bought it at 120k the fluid was black. I guess whatever Valvoline used didn’t hold up very well. Either that or my transmission is not long for this world, which would surprise me given how well it shifts and drives. I ended up doing a drain and refill with WS and will probably do another in a few hundred miles. If that doesn’t bring it back to pink then it’s time for 3K intervals with the cheapest stuff I can find until it’s clean.

Back