Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT Universal most similar to 'Real' Aisin/Toyota WS fluid?

Except that is never published, at least not that I have seen.

Related but not exact, the RE5R05 Jatco transmission from Nissan, along with many others of that generation - started out specing Nissan Matic J - which was a 100C cst of like 7.5, Nissan switched to Matic S with a 100 cst of I think 5.2 and claimed backwards compatibility with everything using J. I have never heard of anyone having a problem. My Xterra rolled off the factory line with J, and has had nothing but S since about 60K miles - no issues at all.
Yeah, the Wife's 14 Armada specs D IIRC, have been using maxlife without issue at 130K now. The backwards compatibility thing has gotten out of hand, Dex used to be a death sentence in a Merc tranny and MV was death to a Merc tranny, now everything is in one jug. Matic D was Dex, now anything is ok to dump in there.

Reactions: JTK
When I started working on cars, there was only Dexron and Type F in the Shell Lubster pumps. Fords got Type F and everything else got Dexron.

I recently did D+F on our low mile, 15 year old U660e.

I got five quarts of WS from our commission based "makes up prices as we go" dealer at ~$16 each. Only got about 2.75 quarts out. Returned the other two, so total cost
Next time I do it I'll have the same choice to make. If I decide to pull the pan next time I'll already be biting the bullet on a trans filter where toyota wants >$90.

I'm going to give the Castrol Transmax a try. I usually the ML and it's been great. Two Corolla's have the ML currently and both have had several D&F's. Getting ready to do a D&F with the Castrol in the Matrix @ 94k. Hard to beat 4 gallons shipped for under $100 at WM.

Reactions: JTK
I've had Castrol Transmax Universal ATF/CVT fluid in my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder's CVT since about 70K miles. I've done 3-4 spill/fills with it between then and the current 102K miles. Still CVTing like it always did.

I've used Maxlife in Honda, Toyota and Hyundai ATs without issue in the past and wouldn't hesitate to use Castrol Transmax universal either.

I like the Castrol for T-IV applications.
I have run only Toyota T-IV and Mobil 3309 (which is reputed to be the same fluid since Mobil made the Toyota fluid.). Now that the case of Mobil 3309 is gone I'm thinking of running the Castrol Full Synthetic ATF that I've been running in my Ford because it's Mercon LV approved. I bought a bunch of it years back when AZ clearanced it for $3 a quart and it says "Recommended for Toyotas" or some such verbiage . (I'm in Florida at the moment so I can't tell you the exact wording.)...It is a thinner fluid than T-IV but I'm not concerned as the T-IV is not full synthetic and the Castrol is. If i don't like the shift feel I'll D&R with Toyota fluid.

Back