Castrol Transmax ATF/CVT Universal most similar to 'Real' Aisin/Toyota WS fluid?

hey all!

I will be changing the fluid in my u760 tranny from toyota soon. It calls for Toyota WS fluid but I did some research and came upon these points.

As we all know Aisin makes the tranny for these and they have there own AISIN fluid called Aisin 0WS.

Toyota also makes a fluid that we all know of called Toyota WS however I did some research and found some old sds/pds for the Aisin fluid and it states:
Aisin 0WS
@40C= 34.88 cSt
@100C = 7.332 cSt

The Toyota WS states:
@40C = 23 cSt
@100c = 5.45cst

Most people are using Toyota fluid since that is what came in our cars I assume at production ? and or is easy to get from dealers etc. However we will never know if ‘Toyota’ is using the lighter/thinner fluid to help with ‘CAFÉ’ requirements or if the Toyota trannys want thinner fluid. However I feel like it is a fair assumption to assume the Aisin fluid is the real fluid and those specs are probably prioritizing longevity and protection

I further did more research and it seems like the most common Toyota ws replacement fluid has been Maxlife ATF with amazing feedback from so many forums / reviews. The fluid specs are below:
Maxlife ATF
@40C = 27.6 cSt
@100c = 5.88cst

Just basing on the above specs, it can easily be seen why people are having amazing results with Maxlife as a replacement to Toyota WS as it is so close to the Toyota fluid viscosity at both temperatures.
However I feel like there is a better aftermarket fluid and that is Castrol Transmax CVT/ATF with the specs below:
Castrol Transmax CVT/ATF
@40C = 34.2 cSt
@100c = 7.1 cst

As you can see this fluid is very very similar to the OEM Aisin fluid and since it is a newer fluid not many people have used it but have read on other forums that it is being recommended for this application and now you can see why. The viscosity is almost identical to Aisin WS with the benefit of being confidently full synthetic
The U760 also in the early years had torque converter shudder issues and the thicker Castrol fluid mitigated the issue more compared to Maxlife and other fluids from feedback from members from diff forums who used this fluid as a replacement

So now the question is, is Castrol Transmax CVT/ATF the way to go for fluid replacements compared to Toyota WS or is there still reason to use the thinner Toyota fluid?

I feel like by the time that people are looking to change fluid, there is probably already enough wear in the tranny to recommend the usage of OEM Aisin 0WS or Castrol Transmax.

*I know some of my research coincided to other threads on bitog/forums so I don’t take credit for any of this, thanks for all the help from other members / forums*

You went to a lot of work just to find a replacement, why?
Would it not be easier just to buy Toyota OEM WS?
toyota ws is not a full synthetic and i was curious of going 'thicker' compared to how we like to go thicker with then engine oils, but looking for others experience and in put!!

Try it and let us know.
I used the Castrol fluid you’ve mentioned in a 2019 grand caravan( it claimed to be suitable) at about 95k miles and the transmission bit the dust like 15k later. Can’t say if it was the fluid or just a crap transmission but I’m still not gonna use that fluid again because of that experience.

Comparing ATF is not like comparing oil. ATF provides a hydraulic fluid function, and a lubrication function, so its a two part affair

If you run too high a viscosity, especially in cold weather - when its cold it could cause cavitation as well as starvation of lubricating function from lack of flow.

Too thin, especially when its hot, can cause the torque converter to work harder and things to heat up more, not to mention providing less lubrication to critical parts.

So its a trade off - too thin or too thick can be detrimental depending on situation. The add pack also comes into play on the lubrication side.

I am personally not a fan of the "meets every spec on earth" fluids and like to stick to OEM ATF, or a blend specific to the application - like Idemitsu makes for a lot of cases.

toyota ws is not a full synthetic and i was curious of going 'thicker' compared to how we like to go thicker with then engine oils, but looking for others experience and in put!!
As far as all my research gathered, Toyota WS is a full synthetic, but on the thin side and there may be reasons for that!

Don’t forget the friction coefficient; that’s probably the most important factor.
Except that is never published, at least not that I have seen.

Related but not exact, the RE5R05 Jatco transmission from Nissan, along with many others of that generation - started out specing Nissan Matic J - which was a 100C cst of like 7.5, Nissan switched to Matic S with a 100 cst of I think 5.2 and claimed backwards compatibility with everything using J. I have never heard of anyone having a problem. My Xterra rolled off the factory line with J, and has had nothing but S since about 60K miles - no issues at all.

FWIW, I have MaxLife in two Toyota six-speeds, and they shift just fine. Toyota oddly enough didn’t backspec WS for their T-IV units, while the aftermarket says it’s OK.

Except that is never published, at least not that I have seen.

Related but not exact, the RE5R05 Jatco transmission from Nissan, along with many others of that generation - started out specing Nissan Matic J - which was a 100C cst of like 7.5, Nissan switched to Matic S with a 100 cst of I think 5.2 and claimed backwards compatibility with everything using J. I have never heard of anyone having a problem. My Xterra rolled off the factory line with J, and has had nothing but S since about 60K miles - no issues at all.
I used the thinner MaxLife in a Frontier with the 5-speed auto, owner didn’t like the shift feel. I drained it out for Nissan-Matic S and they said it felt better. I dunno, MaxLife feels firmer which I liked.

Back