looking for a new, or nearly new fun car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: harbor
AWD Dodge Challenger GT

bingo

Challenger or Charger GT. it's only the V6(~300HP)but AWD. and a true rear biased AWD, not a FWD with a haldex unit out back.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
The S2000 has an Inline Pro stage 1 turbo kit on it. High flow cat was installed as part of the kit. However, the car is so low, I can't actually see if the cat is still there...

However, in addition to the turbo, it has a stand alone engine computer (AEM) without OBD-2 capability, and very large injectors that provide a less than perfect idle. Nothing about the car is compliant, even if it could be made to pass a tailpipe test.

That would pass in my county no issues. Non-emissions county so no sniffer or computer check. As long as you have tires and brakes you're good.

Sounds like dailydriver has had issues with inspection places. I've never had trouble anywhere. Lots of shops out there that won't rip you off...

1. Cadillac CTS V-Sport 2014 or newer
2. Corvette 2014 or newer
3. Mustang GT 2015 or newer

All require dedicated snow tires for winter.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Are you from the south originally?

The reason I ask is that all of the people I know who grew up in FL and moved up north hated it and couldn't wait to return back to FL. It is quite an adjustment.

Born in NYC, 10 years in various NYC burbs, then the rural section (2000 acres of public watershed land) of Wilton, CT from 10 years old to 19. So, I'm quite familiar with winter living, and I HATE IT. I left CT when I discovered how free FL is.

However, the job is fantastic and the guy I work for is awesome. I don't expect any financial issues or hardships, and I can live where I want.

My health is not good, and while I own a plane, I do not fly for a living. I work on Gulfstream G550/G650 aircraft and other aviation toys. Retirement is looming, possibly soon, due to my health and energy levels. Now, half the time I feel awfully tired. The other half, at best I'm functional.

My website with airplanes:

http://cujet.com/html/work.html

My health is not good, and while I own a plane, I do not fly for a living. I work on Gulfstream G550/G650 aircraft and other aviation toys. Retirement is looming, possibly soon, due to my health and energy levels. Now, half the time I feel awfully tired. The other half, at best I'm functional.

What's the problem with your health? I thought in the past you've reported positive things about your health. Unless I'm confusing you with someone else. You know working out, losing weight, staying in shape, etc...

Originally Posted By: dailydriver

But they do an OBD2 plug-in for the counties which do an emissions test.

Ain't gonna work with his stand alone AEM brain in the 2000 (BESIDES failing the 'visual').
frown.gif

The visual - if it looks like a cat it will most likely pass. And I already addressed the OBD2 thing. If the brain is easy to get to and swap it would be easy to swap, drive for a week to set the readiness and inspect away.

Been here for 25 years now and I've not had many issues getting vehicles inspected needing nothing or simple stuff. It helps to build a relationship with a shop.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
Originally Posted By: JTK

Sorry about the move! Is it something you want to do?

I guess I'm OK with the move. I'll prob keep my FL home and become somewhat seasonal.

...Than .... can you still keep the FL plates on the Honda?

Maybe, but I can't count on that and I certainly can't sell the S2000 turbo up North. I'm not sure I want so many cars, keeping the Honda requires a commuter car.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver

What's the problem with your health? I thought in the past you've reported positive things about your health. Unless I'm confusing you with someone else. You know working out, losing weight, staying in shape, etc...

I have always been a fairly fit guy, bicyclist, motocross/enduro etc. I hit the gym regularly, eat very carefully, maintain a good weight and so on. However, I have at least 2 autoimmune diseases that are knocking me down hard. Hashimoto's thyroid and MCTD. The combo is nasty. Mitochondrial dysfunction, where cells can't use energy and muscles disappear within 3 weeks. The last 5 years have been a steady decline into incapacity. I'm having a hard time getting up from the chair now.

Most days now, I run out of energy in about 5 to as much as 10 minutes. A bad day at the gym is being able to finish less than one set, followed by complete exhaustion. (a good day includes 3 sets of modest weights, which is more and more rare) . So lately, I average 1-1.5 sets and fail, lower and lower weights every month. A bicycle ride might be 7-9 mph, about 30-45 watts output, 105 heart rate and unable to go more.

However, a very good day might have a bicycle ride at 19 MPH, heart rate at 150 and muscles functional.

Blood glucose is often low, never high. But I can get BG of 108 or so for a workout, if I consume lots of gatoraid. Does not help one bit.

Quite frankly, I'm having a hard time working just about every day now.

Back to Cleveland Clinic next week. I'm concerned about the next diagnosis. I have many of the symptoms of other diseases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: itguy08
Originally Posted By: dailydriver

But they do an OBD2 plug-in for the counties which do an emissions test.

Ain't gonna work with his stand alone AEM brain in the 2000 (BESIDES failing the 'visual').
frown.gif

The visual - if it looks like a cat it will most likely pass.

OK, but HOW does one 'disguise' a turbo?!? (Unless you're counting on the 'tech' at the shop/station to be dumber than a rock, and NOT realize the car did not come from the factory boosted.
21.gif
)

I am talking about the suburban counties closer to the private airports Cujet needs to be near, which DO have an emissions check, not out thar in 'Bammy.
wink.gif

You prefer one car, need to commute with it, but want it to be reasonably fun. How about the Accord Touring 2.0T? You'll get an auto, you like turbos, it has some grunt, it will be dependable, etc. By all accounts, the new Accord is an excellent driving car.

With retirement just around the corner and health problems, why not just stay in Florida ?

I was recently offered a job (promotion) in Boston and I said no thanks...

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
With retirement just around the corner and health problems, why not just stay in Florida ? I was recently offered a job (promotion) in Boston and I said no thanks...

I work for an internet billionaire, great guy, great job. Part of my "retirement package" is to move up North until I retire. Quite simply, this is no promotion, it's a great offer that I've accepted.

I can afford to keep my FL home, or to purchase other FL property. It's very likely I'll keep FL as my primary address.

I like the suggestion of the Accord 2.0T, and the F-Type. Both would suit my needs. Like the Jag a bit more.
smile.gif

AWD, practical, reliable and quickish?
How about a flat six Subaru on the Legacy platform?
Sorry to hear of your health problems.
How are you able to work as a professional wrench?
Or are you moving into more of a fleet management role?

Originally Posted By: earlyre
Originally Posted By: harbor
AWD Dodge Challenger GT

bingo

Challenger or Charger GT. it's only the V6(~300HP)but AWD. and a true rear biased AWD, not a FWD with a haldex unit out back.

300hp isn't that hard a number to hit. The 2012-2016 Mercedes E-350 had a 302hp V6 and that was AWD with the 4matic option and of course not FWD based. In 2017/2018, they went to a 4 cylinder but they had the 2017-2018 E43 which was a 3.0 turbo V6 with 396hp.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
How are you able to work as a professional wrench?

I'm quite hands on. I simply get tired quickly and sit down, a lot.

I'm not a big fan of Subaru. I am leaning towards the F-Type. They are reasonably priced around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back