looking for a new, or nearly new fun car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I second the Audi S4...I love driving my Wife's (I have the short commute and therefore the bog SUV).

Keep the S2k, wonderful cars. What would cause it to fail inspections...certain engine mods?

Congrats on the new flying job. Nice part of the country to fly in, most of the time.

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
GTI + DSG

The problem with ththe GTI is the requirements of a fun car that can soak up the miles. GTI is not really all that fun (about as spicy as a Chich-Fil-A sandwich with ketchup), not that great for absorbing a long commute (shorter wheelbase kills it and is not great with broken asphalt), and you do not want the VW repairs with a 1.5 hour commute.

The real goal here is a classic "GT" car with maybe skewed to better fuel economy, not a luke-warm golf.

People have different ideas of "Fun". My GTI is a riot on Northeastern PA mountain roads. Nothing "luke-warm" about it.

Everybody is different.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Why wouldn't your S2000 pass inspection? There are tons of performance cars up here that do fine with the annual inspection...

It's heavily modified and cat-less from what I remember.

Get a brand new Fit
smile.gif

If you want something bigger, the Mazda 6 may be a good choice.

Whatever you buy, you will need some Krown, as you will have to deal with rust that you didn't have to worry about in Florida.

Will you be using separate summer and winter tires? If you must get by one one set of tires, consider something with the 3-peak symbol like the Nokian WRG4 or Vredestein Quatrac 5.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Why wouldn't your S2000 pass inspection? There are tons of performance cars up here that do fine with the annual inspection...

Some counties in PA need no emissions inspection. And those that do are visual + OBD2 scan...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I currently drive an enjoyable but dilapidated AWD Jag X-Type 2.5L 5 speed manual, and a 407 RWHP Honda S2000. I drive both about equally, depending on weather.

I am moving from FL, prob to PA, NY, CT or similar for my job. Unfortunately, the S2000 will not pass inspection up North.
frown.gif

I want something fun. Considering a 'Vette, Mustang, Charger SRT, etc. However, I know (for sure) that I will have a very long (but not daily) commute. Up to 1.2 hours each way, due to the fact that I will be working at 3 different NY-NJ airports. Hence the PA location being centrally located.

Yesterday I looked at a leftover Altima and it drove really well. Would make a fine commuter car for $18K plus fees/taxes. That leaves room for something else, but I really don't want two cars. I'd prefer to have something I enjoy driving all the time.

An automatic is a must. Price is important, but I'll pay more for something really nice.

Thoughts?

I think you will find NE-PA quite beautiful and a great place to go driving around in, I have lived in Northampton County for over 15 years now and really like it here. One hour away from either Philly or NYC.

Good luck with your move.

People have different ideas of "Fun". My GTI is a riot on Northeastern PA mountain roads. Nothing "luke-warm" about it.

Everybody is different.

Yeah, there are those who claim their 2012 Camry LE is fun. The GTI is the definition of "luke-warm". It is "the" ultimate compromise car. It is a paper solution for someone who wants to appear sports-car like without actually making any of the sportscar compromises. Most GTI-ers claiming it to be fun tend not have a lot have a lot of fun-car experience. Because the lower-trim 1.8 TSi offers basically the same experience, I recommend that over the GTI. The Mazda 3 is a better "fun" car than the GTI. GTI owners that have other "fun cars" know that it is a make-do, not a generic commuter.

I maintain that the MkVII GTI was the most underwhelming car I have ever driven. MkII and the MkV are fun cars (haven't driven a Mk1) as well as the proper "R" with the 3.2. The MkVI was a half-foot in boring. The MkVII is back to the MkIV snore.

Go drive the WRX, Fiesta ST, and the 370Z, heck, even the V6 Camaro (surprisingly) "for fun"... and then come back to GTI. It does the non-fun stuff well and looks fun-ish, but it is lukewarm. Finally, go find a V6 Accord Coupe with a stick. That is more fun (because it can pull with the V8s).

So how do you like your speaker-driven exhaust note?

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

Everybody is different.

Yeah, there are those who claim their 2012 Camry LE is fun. The GTI is the definition of "luke-warm". It is "the" ultimate compromise car. It is a paper solution for someone who wants to appear sports-car like without actually making any of the sportscar compromises. Most GTI-ers claiming it to be fun tend not have a lot have a lot of fun-car experience. Because the lower-trim 1.8 TSi offers basically the same experience, I recommend that over the GTI. The Mazda 3 is a better "fun" car than the GTI. GTI owners that have other "fun cars" know that it is a make-do, not a generic commuter.

I maintain that the MkVII GTI was the most underwhelming car I have ever driven. MkII and the MkV are fun cars (haven't driven a Mk1) as well as the proper "R" with the 3.2. The MkVI was a half-foot in boring. The MkVII is back to the MkIV snore.

Go drive the WRX, Fiesta ST, and the 370Z, heck, even the V6 Camaro (surprisingly) "for fun"... and then come back to GTI. It does the non-fun stuff well and looks fun-ish, but it is lukewarm. Finally, go find a V6 Accord Coupe with a stick. That is more fun (because it can pull with the V8s).

So how do you like your speaker-driven exhaust note?

It sounds Great
smile.gif
I love my 2 door MKV.

It sounds Great
smile.gif
I love my 2 door MKV.

Yeah, big difference there. The MkV has a soul, the MkVII with a DSG does not. It is absolutely sterile.

I'd go with nearly new whatever you do (2-4 yrs old) with very low miles. The winters in the PA-NJ-CT-MA can be severe. But it's really only from mid-December to late March...3-1/2 months. And the majority of the time the roads are clear and dry. Still, those 3-4 months can take a beating on nice new cars.

Mustangs, Vettes, Camaro's, etc. are not only for kids or secretaries....also us seniors.
grin.gif

So what. As long as the CEL isn't on it will most likely pass. I've never seen an inspection station do a visual for a cat.

Or you can just put a high-flow on there. There are cars with 800whp here that have multiple cats, not sure why a 400hp Honda needs a test pipe.

Stinger 2.0T (A/T)
GTi (DSG)
WRX (CVT)
Elantra Sport Turbo (DCT)
Accord 2.0T (A/T)
GLi (DSG)

So what. As long as the CEL isn't on it will most likely pass.

Don't they do tailpipe emissions tests in some of those states?

The S2000 has an Inline Pro stage 1 turbo kit on it. High flow cat was installed as part of the kit. However, the car is so low, I can't actually see if the cat is still there...

However, in addition to the turbo, it has a stand alone engine computer (AEM) without OBD-2 capability, and very large injectors that provide a less than perfect idle. Nothing about the car is compliant, even if it could be made to pass a tailpipe test.

Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
How about a Mazda CX5 with all wheel drive. Good handling, Good safety. Good economy

Although, he also mentioned "fun" in the title.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back