Status
Not open for further replies.
Infinity g37 AWD Coupe
used-2014-infiniti-q60_coupe-2drautoawd-10793-15841362-1-400.jpg

Gentleman's AWD Z-car?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mightymousetech
Originally Posted By: vwmaniaman
How about a Mazda CX5 with all wheel drive. Good handling, Good safety. Good economy

Although, he also mentioned "fun" in the title.

'Fun' seems to be a very relative term, based on some of the responses in this thread.
smile.gif

BTW, he also mentioned 'car' in the title. Not sure if he actually meant it or just used that word to describe any vehicle, including an SUV.

If SUVs are allowed, then maybe give Macan Turbo a try - after all, the OP seems to like turbo engines, and with proper tires, the Macan would handle winter conditions easily. Or does Porsche smell too much of VW to the OP?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Don't they do tailpipe emissions tests in some of those states?

PA doesn't. I'm not sure about NJ, NY, or CT.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted By: pkunk
Mini Cooper Countryman. All wheel drive, fast, sporty, excellent crashworthy rep. https://www.miniusa.com/content/miniusa/...0SSE_March_2018

and totally not reliable
15.gif

Untrue. Do you have first hand knowledge or is that just hearsay? As an owner with 136k of virtually trouble free miles, I'd say no worse than any other car that's meant to be driven.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Infinity g37 AWD Coupe
used-2014-infiniti-q60_coupe-2drautoawd-10793-15841362-1-400.jpg

Gentleman's AWD Z-car?

Actually, I think the Gentleman would have the Z over the Infiniti. The Z is driving like they want, the Infiniti driver is the wannabe of the group.

I *think* that the G37 is a great choice but I do not know if it is the right choice. Just by looking at a leftover altima, I am thinking looking new(er) to keep the repairs/cost down for racking up that many miles. I don't think that the Q60 ticks the fun-factor in the price-point. They really neutered that car... the 2.0L "turbo" is a joke at 208bhp (might as well get an 86) and the 3.0L "twin-turbo" V6 is still far, far behind others. Granted, the torque is better but still far, far behind others. Close to $40K for the 2.0L make this a "meh, unfun car" despite being A HEADTURNER. The lack of power is almost 1980s GM comical. When did Nissan forget how to build good engines.

Just about any entity tracking automotive reliability. Mini is well know for being the "budget engineered" BMW with not-budget engineered repair cost. (aka BMW nickle $50 and dime $100)

CR give them a 2/5 and a "worse than average" general score. It looks like 2015 was the only year with above average reliability with 3 of the last five years being "much worse than average".

If you go a good one, I am happy for you but that is more of the exception than the rule.

The only thing you can say that is positive is that at least it isn't an FCA product...

Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Actually, I think the Gentleman would have the Z over the Infiniti. The Z is driving like they want, the Infiniti driver is the wannabe of the group.
On that point, I've been test driving various cars over the past year or two, trying to find something fun yet practical with 4 doors and not high off the ground.

After driving many luxury cars, I've come to the realization that this luxury actually tends to detract from the fun by isolating you from the raw power/thrill and making the supposed fun experience more subdued. Unless you're willing to spend huge money on some exotic, it seems like you have to choose: either fun or luxury. The more luxury you dial in, the less fun to drive it becomes. The power is still there, but the way it's delivered feels very restrained/alienating.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Is the Genisis coupe too junky or something since it hasn't been mentioned at all?

Well, now that you mention it....
wink.gif
It is my "family hauler".

It does check a lot of boxes and they can be found for a song. I was thinking that the Stinger would be a little bit better for the long miles but the Ginny is good on that too.

They are extremely comfortable for a "sportscar". I drove from WNC to Connecticut (and back in 60 hours, 34 hour drive time trip) straight through NYC and was very happy with the ride and got 29-30mpg. It isn't what I say would be plush, but it is closer to mid-sized sedan comfort but still plenty stuff for the corners. Wind noise is the worse part but the GT element is there. You *might* find some uber low mile examples hanging on lots still but otherwise, it would be the off-lease options now.

http://www.hunterhyundai.com/VehicleSearchResults?model=Genesis Coupe

Here is my "review"
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4330122/Family_Car_Review:_2015_Hyunda

Here was me shopping/impressions at the time
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4086338/1

And it has some of the best "stock" engine notes without going Italian.

I am with you on that. If Subaru still made the Legacy GT, that would be my car. The WRX just was not refined enough but I could not go and pay a BMW badge/cost for a 2 series. I think a lot of luxury makes are chasing the stats but are also listening to the feedback that their target group does not want anything hairy. It is raw hard plastic -wrx- or highly filtered "luxury makes, no in between (like some older E30s BMWs, Gen1 Maximas etc). The Crossover fad is killing off the sedan platforms so there is even less in the non-luxury bracket and those that did exist were to cost prohibitive for their fan base (see Chevy SS).

Unfortunately, there just is not a gentleman-enthusiast sport sedan. Dare I say Tesla but they are catering to a different breed of stat-chasers.

I'd serious look at some sporty SUV's given the intended usage.

- SRT Grand Cherokee
- SRT Grand Cherokee TrackHawk if the 475HP in the regular one isn't enough.
- BMW X6M
- Mercedes AMG 4MATIC GLC/GLA/GLE

I've provided reviews on here of the first two.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

I am moving from FL, prob to PA, NY, CT or similar for my job. Unfortunately, the S2000 will not pass inspection up North.
frown.gif

Yesterday I looked at a leftover Altima and it drove really well. Would make a fine commuter car for $18K plus fees/taxes.

Thoughts?

Sorry about the move! Is it something you want to do?

In regards to the Altima, I agree. I find them super comfortable and nice to drive. Seats are awesome. Nissan has it's issues for sure, but they do have some nice things going for them.

I recently drove my family from Buffalo to south Florida and back in our 2016 Quest. I clocked over 3000 miles in a little over a week in the van and was amazed at how pleasant, comfortable and economical it was.

Originally Posted By: JTK

I guess I'm OK with the move. I'll prob keep my FL home and become somewhat seasonal.

Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Originally Posted By: oilpsi2high
Why wouldn't your S2000 pass inspection? There are tons of performance cars up here that do fine with the annual inspection...

It's heavily modified and cat-less from what I remember.

So what. As long as the CEL isn't on it will most likely pass. I've never seen an inspection station do a visual for a cat.

Or you can just put a high-flow on there. There are cars with 800whp here that have multiple cats, not sure why a 400hp Honda needs a test pipe.

IF he ends up in Pennsyltuckey, we have a mandated PRIVATIZED inspection system at service stations/shops ONLY.

Even in the few counties which do not require any emissions, they still put the car on a lift and LOOK for anything they can find in order to make money off of you to fix/'correct' them to pass the safety inspection (or if it IS a blatant violation of the FEDERAL emissions laws).
This includes the snail he has added to that car which was NOT there from the factory, even if he installs a high flow, metal matrix, aftermarket catcon on the S2000.

I REALLY feel bad for Cujet if he has to commute from ANYWHERE in Pennsy (or even North Joyzee) out to JFK, and fully understand his rationale for REQUIRING a slushbox, since one could potentially burn up a new clutch on ONE round trip from a Philly suburb out to that airport, such is the traffic volume DAY AND NIGHT on the roads out to there.
(You Cali people who think you have it bad on the 405 have never sat in that L.I.E. 'parking lot' at 2:00 AM on a weekday.)

I guess I'm OK with the move. I'll prob keep my FL home and become somewhat seasonal.

Are you from the south originally?

The reason I ask is that all of the people I know who grew up in FL and moved up north hated it and couldn't wait to return back to FL. It is quite an adjustment.

Are you from the south originally?

The reason I ask is that all of the people I know who grew up in FL and moved up north hated it and couldn't wait to return back to FL. It is quite an adjustment.

Fla ain't "south" anymore.
wink.gif
As a Virginian living in NC with a lot of time in SC, Fla is about as "Southern" as a hoagie. Fla is an Ocean City Extension of New Jersey with perpetual summer.

That being said, by bother is near Allentown and likes it. Winters don't bother him but he spend a few years in Western Minnesota before, so I guess it was an upgrade. Now, he will say they "would-be rednecks" are their own special level of stupid, but as a whole PA a nice place (Save Philly- now that is heck's waiting room).

Last edited:
Not sure what the budget is here, but I'll mention the AWD Caddy CT6 with a turbo 3.0l V6 (~400HP/lb-ft).
May not be the greatest for reliability based upon what I've been reading about the brand lately, but at least dealers and parts should be easy to find.
If you have been living down South for a long time, I'd definitely recommend AWD for the weather you will be seeing and long commutes.

Originally Posted By: itguy08

Don't they do tailpipe emissions tests in some of those states?

PA doesn't. I'm not sure about NJ, NY, or CT.

But they do an OBD2 plug-in for the counties which do an emissions test.

Ain't gonna work with his stand alone AEM brain in the 2000 (BESIDES failing the 'visual').
frown.gif

...Than .... can you still keep the FL plates on the Honda?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back