Dog Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a major pet peeve with dog walkers. Those who walk on the sidewalk while the dog walks on my lawn and pees on it, while walking by. Keep YOUR dog off MY lawn!! Or go to a dog park.

Originally Posted By: ron17571
You don't like a dog doing a job of keeping people off a property? strange thinking.

In a general sense? No. If they don't threaten others when you walk past, then no problem. If they don't bark and growl at every passing dog or person....then that's fine. But this is almost never the case. At least where I live it's not. It's rude toward your neighbors....PERIOD. And the dogs become terribly maladjusted. Almost as bad as the owners.

The dog thing is getting put of hand in Florida. I am a dog owner but I realize they are animals, not people.
All these old people down in Florida either their mate dies or kids move away they get a dog. My wife now doesn't like animals,she tolerates them for me but it's out of control here. We are remodeling so my wife and I have been spending ALOT of time at Home Depot and Lowe's, people just bring thier dogs in, [censored] dogs running everywhere. And then you got all these people getting service dog papers from their doctor for aniexty.
So now they are in grocery stores, restaurants etc..
It's a bit to much. I am really sick of it all.

I am the responsible irresponsible dog owner. It is true that my boy likes to say "hello" with his teeth. Everything gets chewed. I call him my chew chew train. The reason he ended up in the shelter was because he bit somebody. Hey, they are called "heelers" for a reason, but his playful mouthing could easily be mistaken for aggression. So I haven't trained him well in that area, but the responsible part is that I don't let him meet new people or dogs until they are prepared. And I bring ziplock bags when we walk, because his favourite place to poop is right in the middle of the sidewalk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I have a major pet peeve with dog walkers. Those who walk on the sidewalk while the dog walks on my lawn and pees on it, while walking by. Keep YOUR dog off MY lawn!! Or go to a dog park.

I'll give you a clue....most animals pee in your lawn at one time or another. I'd suggest you not make a garden salad out of it.....it's a lawn.
Now if a person walking a dog that repeatedly urinates in the same spot (or shrub) day after day....THAT is an issue.

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Why do morons bring leashed dogs to Lowes and Home Depot? I don't care if your dog is friendly as I am getting sniffed or licked or my three old is.

If the dog does not fit in carriage its too big for store or needs to be left home.

That would be up to the businesses to decide. You could always go to another store if it offends you so terribly to have a dog sniff you once in a while. Geesh. I occasionally take one of my dogs to the Home Depot. They love getting out and have never bothered anyone. At least I can't tell because the people always seem to smile and ask questions about my dogs.

I don't mind dogs so much, just their owners. They are like smokers who don't think their smoking could possibly offend anyone...their dog is so loveable everyone else will love it too. I walk around a couple of lakes in town, and so do dog owners, there are signs to keep dogs on a leash, but most don't, and I don't have a problem with that, good dogs and good owners. So I'm walking around the lake, and some dog runs up to me and rams his wet nose into my crutch...the owners laugh and say ''Oh he's ok, he's just really friendly.'' No, it's NOT ok ! Your dog just invaded my personal space without my permission, same as I don't want a stranger running up to me and giving me a big hug, I don't want your dog to do it either - when I want to give your dog a cuddle I will ask...it's only polite.

Dog owners need to respect non dog owners - we don't all love your dog just because you do...we might hate your dog...did you bother to ask ?

Originally Posted By: Silk
I don't mind dogs so much, just their owners. They are like smokers who don't think their smoking could possibly offend anyone...their dog is so loveable everyone else will love it too. I walk around a couple of lakes in town, and so do dog owners, there are signs to keep dogs on a leash, but most don't, and I don't have a problem with that, good dogs and good owners. So I'm walking around the lake, and some dog runs up to me and rams his wet nose into my crutch...the owners laugh and say ''Oh he's ok, he's just really friendly.'' No, it's NOT ok ! Your dog just invaded my personal space without my permission, same as I don't want a stranger running up to me and giving me a big hug, I don't want your dog to do it either - when I want to give your dog a cuddle I will ask...it's only polite.

Dog owners need to respect non dog owners - we don't all love your dog just because you do...we might hate your dog...did you bother to ask ?

I agree with your post. It isn't okay for dog owners to disregard laws, rules, and the rights of others to be left alone. But I also don't see where it's just like a stranger hugging you when a dog, annoyingly sometimes, wants to sniff you.

I'd take a dog making me feel a bit uncomfortable than a strange human, any day of the week.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
I'd take a dog making me feel a bit uncomfortable than a strange human, any day of the week.

As long as neither try to bite you.

Dog owners should recognize that some people are afraid of dogs for whatever reason and keep their dog at their side unless invited otherwise.

I agree with your post. It isn't okay for dog owners to disregard laws, rules, and the rights of others to be left alone. But I also don't see where it's just like a stranger hugging you when a dog, annoyingly sometimes, wants to sniff you.

Some people are extremely afraid of dogs. Dogs should be on a leash when not inside a home or in a yard where they are either fenced in or trained to stay there, for both the dog's and human's safety. If a dog I don't know runs up to me, I don't know what it is going to do.

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071

Some people are extremely afraid of dogs. Dogs should be on a leash when not inside a home or in a yard where they are either fenced in or trained to stay there, for both the dog's and human's safety. If a dog I don't know runs up to me, I don't know what it is going to do.

As a dog-lover....I 100% agree with you. And yes, I have actually witnessed a few folks that where almost petrified by dogs. Even little ones. Very weird if you ask me and perhaps they should get help. But yes, it is an owners responsibility not to intrude on others with a dog.

Last edited:
This thread reminds me of an incident I had several years ago. I went for a walk with my son in a stroller, and my German Shepherd (who was on the street side of the stroller). I walk by a house and this 40ish pound dog comes charging at us barking and snarling. My first instinct was to kick at the dog, which I did. And missed...a soccer player I'm not.

About this time, the lady of the house comes around the corner screaming about how dare I kick at her dog. The she proceeded to yell about ^$%* German Shepherd dogs. I not so nicely pointed out to her that my German Shepherd was on a leash and under control, while her dog was running wild and charging people. Thankfully I didn't drop my dog's leash during the incident, or it would have been much worse. The dog charging the stroller put him in full bore "protection mode".

I called the police and filed a report, but they really didn't care.

The "dogs are just like their owners" comment earlier in this thread certainly is true...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TWG1572
This thread reminds me of an incident I had several years ago. I went for a walk with my son in a stroller, and my German Shepherd (who was on the street side of the stroller). I walk by a house and this 40ish pound dog comes charging at us barking and snarling. My first instinct was to kick at the dog, which I did. And missed...a soccer player I'm not.

About this time, the lady of the house comes around the corner screaming about how dare I kick at her dog. The she proceeded to yell about ^$%* German Shepherd dogs. I not so nicely pointed out to her that my German Shepherd was on a leash and under control, while her dog was running wild and charging people. Thankfully I didn't drop my dog's leash during the incident, or it would have been much worse. The dog charging the stroller put him in full bore "protection mode".

I called the police and filed a report, but they really didn't care.

The "dogs are just like their owners" comment earlier in this thread certainly is true...

I would have done the same thing. It's shameful that people allow that sort of behavior from a dog when all you were doing was walking past. I probably would have let loose with some very nasty expletives and told her I am calling the police as well as animal control.
Stupid woman.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Pet and kids don't fall far from the character of the keepers. I've always thought that pets reflect the character of their owners just like their kids do. I have seen many instances of this where I haven't missed the mark!
Bingo, bingo.

I live in a very liberal, "progressive" area where "let it all hang out" pervades. Your comment above definitely rings true: Owners, children, dogs. I've always believed that the behavior of any dog (or cat) says a lot about their owners.

Leash-free dog parks much in vogue here. Over time, the grass would disappear, poop would be everywhere, machismos show up with their equally aggressive dogs, which would "play" with other dogs as "prey".

"Can't we all just get along" would often result in the lesser dog needing stiches.

Then the signs would go up "scoup your poop" (aren't they always so elementary, simplistic, need to rhyme?), "poop harms the environment and poisons our precious waterways". The authoritarians rush in to tell their "morons" how to properly behave.

Reading previous comments indicates this area isn't unique.

Nearby neighbor who fits the above only has dogs of a single color. A few years back came home with a pound-puppy who is quite the escape "ar-teest", his chosen method to dig. Results being he was regularly out. Fortunately, he was a sweet dog. Unfortunately, their fellow neighbors were routinely tasked with catching then calling said "owners" to let them know once again 'junior' was out & about. He would routinely come waging his tail into my garage because he knew I was a dog person.

He was lonely, left out too much while his 'owners' were away on trips, partying, just gone. Busy, busy, busy....small wonder 'junior' was anxious, insecure, and lonely. He had no schedule, nor structure in his world. Dogs don't like that. His owners are clueless about this....

He'd bark at everything he could easily see out of their metal fence. People, other dogs, kids, bicycle riders, etc. Clearly he wanted to join in and needed some attention. The sad part is when they ARE home, I never see any of them actually WALK this dog. Take him for a bike ride, down the many trails nearby, play with him in the yard. NOTHING. How pathetic.

Poor dog is bored-to-death, isolated and WAY under-exercised. Even their kids don't walk this dog!

So why the h&ll have one? The dog was 'rescued' from a no-kill shelter. OK. Now what? Far more to a healthy dog's life than kibble in bowl + water. Hamsters get that. So do rabbits. A dog is neither.

Owners decided to double-down this time getting a "disturbed, traumatized, man-hating" dog who barks at everything. (Same color too). He flunks at escaping, yet constantly barks. Very insecure, a bit unstable, irrational, etc. I've never seen the dog outside their yard, being walked. Yet all the neighbors have heard him, been barked at by him, and are thinking "here we go again". Same song; verse two.

I've sent emails, called and spoken to both face-to-face. Escalation has been necessary to be "heard". Finally YELLING OUT LOUD was necessary as my previous communication had evidently fallen on DEAF EARS. I was told to just drop it.

Really? How does that help? Why is it you believe your neighbors have no rights, yet you do? Who says? Where is that written? (This from the 'feeling', and 'rights' paradigm, no less). What about OUR feelings? What about OUR rights? What about OUR piece-of-mind?

We're just not important. Our rights infringes upon theirs to do what they want, when they want to, whenever. (What political system does that sound like?)

Yet I'm the bad guy for pointing this out?

Clearly these 'owners' are clueless how to deal with a traumatized dog. They don't even know how to deal with a regular dog. They're far too busy to take time out of their busy schedules to actually WALK one dog, much less two, or both together.

(You mean dogs actually need to be walked? Daily? WTH? That often? Really?.....). Yeah idiot. Dogs are social animals. You don't just get one to feed YOUR SELF, your own EGO. They have needs, requirements, and responsibilities OF THEIR OWN. Like daily walking, ball playing and interaction with an environment outside of their own boring, backyard.

My cats have received far more daily attention, brushing, and playing in comparison. I don't even own a dog yet I understand them far more than this neighbor/owner. Dogs I understand. Humans not so much.

A dog should never be the scratch to some knee-jerk itch. Dogs deserve MUCH better.

Unfortunately, this falls deaf upon the ears, minds and hearts of the self-centered and self-absorbed, who are clueless to the EMOTIONAL needs of a dog. I wonder if they realize they're also traumatized, damaged and irrational and pick dogs with the same characteristics?

Who needs rescuing?

/rant.

Great post sleddriver.

And yes...dogs certainly DO deserve much better when all they want is love and acceptance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back