Dog got skunked.

My sons dog attacked a skunk very last night in his backyard. Dog is current on his rabies shots.

He says the dogs muzzle and front paws and neck was covered with a yellow goo after the encounter that initially didn’t smell like a skunk but turned skunky. The dog was immediately bathed with dawn dish soap a few times and then baby shampoo. He can still get a whiff of skunk from the dog and he is worried that the odor might get in the rugs and furniture. Anyone been down this path and can offer ideas I’d be glad to hear them..

Nature's Miracle Skunk Odor Remover

Also works on carpet and upholstery that may have caught the odor.

I've been skunked twice.

Once when I was a boy on the farm. Chased him out of the chicken coop. My aunt wouldn't let me back in the house until I soaked in a cow trough for hours. Second time thirty years ago. Came home from work and the critter was meandering backward in my front yard. He had a yogurt container stuck on his head. I cautiously maneuvered in front of him and gently grasped it and slid it off. He blinked at me and I swear he smiled. Then the little ba**tard spun around and rewarded my kindness by annointing me.

A soak of vinegar and tomato juice works well but the smell lingers.

1695063814140.jpg

Wildlife Recourses of Maine

If you don't know what a Samoyed Dog is, Google it.
They're larger, white, fluffy dogs. Their "Cold Climate Look" leads folk to call them "white Huskies", which they are not.

Her name was Kira and she spotted a skunk and went right after it. She got to the fleeing skunk's backside and its tail was already up.
The closest direct hit possible. All the spray juice went into her mouth and fully soaked her chest and front legs.
Her fluffy fur absorbed the liquid so thoroughly I couldn't smell anything and I was 10 feet away.
The juice hadn't atomized nor volatilized.

She blinked and blinked and contorted her mouth. Her effected coat was quite cold to the touch.
I had to smell my wet hands and the odd application didn't smell entirely familiar.

The hydrogen peroxide in skunk products is what cuts the smell so just buy that.
It was 3AM and I had to bright a police car over to ask where the nearest all-night drugstore was.
That was a thing back then. The officer had to radio in and the desk had the information.

However, the thiols in the spray effected my gut. For a month, certain spices containing thiols would cause my stomach to quiver in a weird pain.

ps There's a pet store near me which has de-scented, black & white skunks for $750.
A brown & white casts $800.

Christmas is just around the corner.

bucket, dawn dish soap, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, bathe doggo, rinse and repeat. I do this to our dumb dog a few times a year and it works great. no lingering smell. unless he actually kills and eats said skunk.

My sons dog attacked a skunk very last night in his backyard. Dog is current on his rabies shots.

He says the dogs muzzle and front paws and neck was covered with a yellow goo after the encounter that initially didn’t smell like a skunk but turned skunky. The dog was immediately bathed with dawn dish soap a few times and then baby shampoo. He can still get a whiff of skunk from the dog and he is worried that the odor might get in the rugs and furniture. Anyone been down this path and can offer ideas I’d be glad to hear them..
I've had it happen two or three times to some of my dogs. Far and away the best thing I have found is to mix a big enough solution of baking soda and hyrdogen peroxide together. Pour and rub it all over except near the face. Better than anything else I found.

... He had a yogurt container stuck on his head. I cautiously maneuvered in front of him and gently grasped it and slid it off. He blinked at me and I swear he smiled. Then the little ba**tard spun around and rewarded my kindness by annointing me.
I'll bet that made you wish skunks were edible! Well they are but not recommended...

dogs love chasing those cats with the white stripe... problem is when they catch em.... and real issue is how good that cat with the white stripe lets the dog have it... the VET can give em a pretty good bath, and then you will spend the next six months rebathing the dog on a frequent basis, and eventually the smell will go away...

You need something to remove the oily substance. Dawn dish soap bath followed by a vanilla extract bath. Mix a cup of vanilla extract with a gallon of water. Soak your pet in the mix for about ten minutes and then shampoo, rinsing and repeating as necessary.

Back