Q.S. Ultimate Durability VS Pennzoil Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies.
my car runs smoother with qsud no doubt but there are so many people on this site who love pp id say go with what your car tells you but if you go strictly off opinion its gotta be pp

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Originally Posted By: sopususer
I've been using PP in my vehicles for about four years. But I took a look at the specs for both oils.

Pennzoil Platinum

Quaker State Ultimate Durability

The QSUD link has this in the language:

QUAKER STATE® ULTIMATE DURABILITY AG FULL SYNTHETIC MOTOR OIL

What's the "AG"? It's prolific throughout the document. I was studying the back of a QSUD bottle this weekend and don't remember anything "AG".

"AG contains Heat Activated Additives – a unique formulation specifically designed to maintain
wear protection and viscosity in high revving and extreme high heat conditions, including stop and go city
driving. As your engine temperature increases, a heat-activated friction modifier, and anti-wear system kick
in to maintain the oil’s wear protect. This advanced protective layer helps reduce metal to metal friction.
Special anti-oxidants also resists oxidation and thermal breakdown of the oil. In addition, the unique
viscosity modifier system resists shearing to help maintain the proper viscosity"

I've used both and have no complaints about either.
At least where I live, its easier to get PP on sale thus for me at least making it a better deal in this neck of the woods.

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
QSUD = Better wear
PP = Better cleaning

Outside of marketing language, is there any evidence of this?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
yeah when the prices go up on qsud everyone will switch to something else...

it's already happened- QSUD is now 20.54 / 5 qt bottle

Thanks Bill! I think that I will be o.k. as both are good oils. I am hoping that maybe Johnny will jump in too with his insight as to the add pack differences and quality differences if any.

GM wants to monitor oil specification compliance. Would you have them pass this cost on to the new car buyer? Putting the trademark dexos green flag on the front of the oil container makes it more legally viable to enforce misrepresentation. Meets/Exceeds, recommended by, can mean anything. I could take a bottle of mineral oil and recommend it for something other than a laxative.

QSUD is $4.50 cheaper than PP. Could it be cheaper because of lesser anti wear agents of that PP has overcharged ? Wal-marts in Tx.

This oil is also at Ollies in Rochester. $3.99 a quart. I stocked up on the 5w40 variety. I am to understand that the 5w40 is the same oil sold in Ferrari dealers (it even says Ferrari Maserati approved on the bottle) It Also carries the vw 502/505 AND long-life 503.01 specifications.

I purchased enough oil to cover three future oil changes and it cost a little more than what I would have payed for 1 oil change with Total Quartz 9000.

Is it good oil? Well, if its good enough for Ferrari, its good enough for my 30 valve Audi a6!

Both are high quality oils, and neither one is going to protect your vehicle in areas where the other one wouldn't. So if you ran one for the life of your car, you'll never have a problem that running the other would've prevented.

If you're comfortable with using either one, get the cheaper of the two.

If you're looking for us to vote, my vote goes to Quaker State

I just bought a bunch of the 5W-40. This is the one with all the MB and VW certifications, so I assume it is better than the typical Grp III oil QS, Penzoil, Castrol, most Mobil 1 forulations.
It was 4$ a qt as mentioned.

The data sheet says blend of severly hydro treated slack wax, synthetic Esters, polyolefins, and additives. Then says the highly refined mineral oil is
Now they have some other viscosities, 0w-20, 5w-20 and 5w-50.
How good is the 0W-20? also who would use a 5w-50 oil??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back