Choosing my next oil

Let's be honest with ourselves: for the vast majority of vehicles, any modern oil you buy off the shelf
at Wal Mart with the proper viscosity and specifications will take care of our engines just fine
as long as the OCI is reasonable and the oil level is monitored.

Many of us overthink this and spend a lot of time looking for some sort of slight edge to improve
engine durability, when in reality with basic maintenance most engines will outlast the rest of the car.

So why are we here? Why do many of us spend time on this? BECAUSE IT IS FUN!! And in so doing
we learn more about engines and how they work.

Now, with all that in mind, keeping in mind that it really doesn't matter and this is for entertainment
purposes, help me pick the next oil for my car.

The engine: Buick 3800 Series III, in a 2005 Buick LaCrosse, with about 161,000 miles on it.
Right now I'm running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w30 and an AC Delco PF47E filter.
The next oil change will be due in late October or early November, just in time for winter here in northern Kansas.

I plan on using a 5w30 during the winter months. Help me pick an oil.
The main candidates so far:

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30
Quaker State High Mileage Full Synthetic 5w30
Quaker State All Mileage 5w30

Cost isn't much of an object but I know the 3800 doesn't really need any boutique oils. What else should I consider? My OCI is
usually about 4,000 miles. The engine has some very small leaks and uses about .75 quarts in a 4000 mile OCI.

If you want to save a little money, Pennzoil has a $20 off rebate for 2x 5qt jugs. Check the promotions/deals forum section, but be warned if you purchase at walmart it needs to be a in person purchase and not online. Castrol also has a similar rebate, also in the same section.

If you want to there is opportunity to upgrade the filter. The AC Delco is good, but there are a few others that might be a little more efficient to consider. Check Whip City Wrencher on Youtube to see some cut open and comparisons.

You have a great engine and it will run fine with anything you throw at it.

Out of that list the Quaker State High Mileage or Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage.
I like to use high mileage in my old stuff so that’s what I would do especially considering the small leaks it can help seal it up temporarily. Just my thoughts.

Pennzoil Platinum is good oil.

But I am a QS fan boy so of course im going to say QS Full Synthetic High Mileage, I don't recommend downgrading to a synthetic blend when you already run full synthetic so avoid the All Mileage option.

And if Dexos is important to you QS Full Synthetic High Mileage is Dexos Approved which I do not see on any other high mileage oils on the shelf.

I currently got Mobil 1 Full Synthetic High Mileage in my vehicles however my Toyota is due for an oil change and I have decided to give Valvoline High Mileage Full Synthetic a run.

Let's be honest with ourselves: for the vast majority of vehicles, any modern oil you buy off the shelf
at Wal Mart with the proper viscosity and specifications will take care of our engines just fine
as long as the OCI is reasonable and the oil level is monitored.

Many of us overthink this and spend a lot of time looking for some sort of slight edge to improve
engine durability, when in reality with basic maintenance most engines will outlast the rest of the car.

So why are we here? Why do many of us spend time on this? BECAUSE IT IS FUN!! And in so doing
we learn more about engines and how they work.

Now, with all that in mind, keeping in mind that it really doesn't matter and this is for entertainment
purposes, help me pick the next oil for my car.

The engine: Buick 3800 Series III, in a 2005 Buick LaCrosse, with about 161,000 miles on it.
Right now I'm running Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 10w30 and an AC Delco PF47E filter.
The next oil change will be due in late October or early November, just in time for winter here in northern Kansas.

I plan on using a 5w30 during the winter months. Help me pick an oil.
The main candidates so far:

Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w30
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5w30
Quaker State High Mileage Full Synthetic 5w30
Quaker State All Mileage 5w30

Cost isn't much of an object but I know the 3800 doesn't really need any boutique oils. What else should I consider? My OCI is
usually about 4,000 miles. The engine has some very small leaks and uses about .75 quarts in a 4000 mile OCI.
add a bottle of ATP 205.....might help with the leaks...

For that age & engine, the Euro L is what I'd use.
Someday get yourself a jug of 5w40 SP-cert. Try it and you might just change to that viscosity after your initial trial run. Would work well year-round in North Kansas.

Reactions: 4WD
For that age & engine, the Euro L is what I'd use.
Someday get yourself a jug of 5w40 SP-cert. Try it and you might just change to that viscosity after your initial trial run. Would work well year-round in North Kansas.
Why the Euro L over a High Mileage option?

3/4QT is nothing really in 4k OCIs. Plus, the thread-starter didn't say the entire 3/4s is lying on the ground below the engine. It might only be leaking half-that amount. The other half may be coming out the exhaust.

Plus, a slightly thicker Euro-L may reduce the leak.
If that leak progressed to 1-1/2 quarts or-so, then I'd move to a high mileage oil. To me, it's worth staying with Euro-L, unless things become worse underneath that engine.

I only use HM oils when necessary and this isn't necessary......... not yet anyways! I'd rather use the oil with the better overall specs / numbers.

Did they make stupid DIs in 2005? lol
Euro L is good for DI.

I would also consider PP 10W-30 for the summer or any other time if not cold enough to require a 5W.

It's a conspiracy!
Stupid DIs is gonna' be what gets the buying public running into dealers to buy thei more stupid battery-operated vehicles, that are slowly becoming backed-up in some storage lots.
You know.... the dealers tell the buyer the replacement battery will cost $8k when it dies. Then when the buyer needs a battery in 5-6 years, the price becomes $20k.

Lots of folks are already turning in their still financed battery vehicles and faulting on the loans because they can't afford a $20K repair.

So how do like those lousy gasoline DIs now?

The oil loss is minor, .5 to .75 quarts during 3500-4000 mile OCIs. I check the oil once a week so I monitor it closely and top off as needed. I'm not worried about the leak really, but got into the habit of using high-mileage oils on my previous 3800-III, started at 100,000 miles. which got up to 208,000 miles until being totaled in a wreck.

I had not thought about using a xW-40 oil.

Reactions: 4WD
Back