Quaker State Ultimate Protection is GTL Based! (or might not be; read full thread)

Been a fair amount of discussion over Quaker States Ultimate Protection here. One of the points of discussion has been whether or not it was really any different from the full synthetic. From reviewing the PDS sheets and VOA's they look very similar, except the Ultimate had an MRV of about half of that of the full synthetic. That made me suspicious it might be GTL, but I've had a hard time finding an SDS. Today I was finally able to overcome Shell's ridiculously complicated SDS search sheet and connect to an SDS.

Guess what? QS Ultimate Protection is indeed GTL. Much like the Euro 5w40 that is well like on here it's listed as 80-90% GTL on the SDS.

Sweet! The 5w30 I was looking for was not listed, but I was able to download the 5w20. I downloaded the PDF version of the SDS but I can't get it to attach here. I copied and pasted the relevant part I'm referencing. The QS Euro is a smoking deal now it looks like this is too.

SAFETY DATA SHEETAccording to OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic 5W-20Version1.1Revision Date: 02/17/2023SDS Number: 800010055879Print Date: 04/29/2023Date of last issue: 08/30/20221 / 17SECTION 1. IDENTIFICATIONProduct name : Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic 5W-20Product code : 001K3103Manufacturer or supplier's detailsManufacturer/Supplier Hazardous componentsChemical name Synonyms CAS-No. Concentration (% w/w)Distillates (Fischer -Tropsch), heavy, C18-50 – branched, cyclic and linearDistillates (FischerTropsch), heavy, C18-50-branched, cyclic and linear848301-69-9 80 - 90Interchangeable low viscosity base oil (<20,5 cSt @40°C) *Not Assigned 1 - 10Alkaryl amine bis(nonylphenyl)amine36878-20-3 1 -

Last edited:
SAFETY DATA SHEETAccording to OSHA Hazard Communication Standard, 29 CFR 1910.1200Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic 5W-20Version1.1Revision Date: 02/17/2023SDS Number: 800010055879Print Date: 04/29/2023Date of last issue: 08/30/20221 / 17SECTION 1. IDENTIFICATIONProduct name : Quaker State Ultimate Protection Full Synthetic 5W-20Product code : 001K3103Manufacturer or supplier's detailsManufacturer/Supplier Hazardous componentsChemical name Synonyms CAS-No. Concentration (% w/w)Distillates (Fischer -Tropsch), heavy, C18-50 – branched, cyclic and linearDistillates (FischerTropsch), heavy, C18-50-branched, cyclic and linear848301-69-9 80 - 90Interchangeable low viscosity base oil (<20,5 cSt @40°C) *Not Assigned 1 - 10Alkaryl amine bis(nonylphenyl)amine36878-20-3 1 -

Supporting document (CAS 84301 69 9):

And as also noted, since any Group III base stock can be interchanged in accordance with API Annex E, that could be true for the moment the SDS was prepared but may or may not be true today. The cutoff in properties for Group III stocks puts a lot of supplies within that category, not just those derived from GTL.

And as also noted, since any Group III base stock can be interchanged in accordance with API Annex E, that could be true for the moment the SDS was prepared but may or may not be true today. The cutoff in properties for Group III stocks puts a lot of supplies within that category, not just those derived from GTL.

Correct. As I understand it, these types of products may be GTL, but are not required to be GTL; they can also be a III +.

IMO the thread title is misleading by stating "... is GTL." Would be more accurate to state ",,, is potentially GTL."

Correct. As I understand it, these types of products may be GTL, but are not required to be GTL; they can also be a III +.

IMO the thread title is misleading by stating "... is GTL." Would be more accurate to state ",,, is potentially GTL."
Yup. This was already discussed in the other thread.

Reactions: 4WD
Shell had so much GTL at one point they were dumping it into Pennzoil Yellow Bottle just to get rid of it. I don't understand the skepticism, they say it's GTL, and they have boatloads of the stuff. To each his own I guess, but I'm going to buy it.

Would you know if the Quaker State High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 is GTL as well?

Also, would you know if the Walmart price of $18.82 for a 5 quart jug for the QS HMFS 5W-30 is a sale price or an everyday price that's been unchanged for years?

Thanks.

Shell had so much GTL at one point they were dumping it into Pennzoil Yellow Bottle just to get rid of it. I don't understand the skepticism, they say it's GTL, and they have boatloads of the stuff. To each his own I guess, but I'm going to buy it.
I for one ain't taking your word for it that's for sure.
I need real proof and not some pipe dream buddy........

Would you know if the Quaker State High Mileage Full Synthetic 5W-30 is GTL as well?

Also, would you know if the Walmart price of $18.82 for a 5 quart jug for the QS HMFS 5W-30 is a sale price or a everyday price that's been unchanged for years?

Thanks.
The regular Full Synthetic is Grp III, I don't know on the High Mileage but at that price I highly doubt it.

Yeah, the PYB days- I still have a bunch of that stuff................

No skepticism at all. It’s just that GTL Group III base stocks are interchangeable with other Group III base stocks, that’s all. Seeing how they have been flexible in their use of GTL derived stock in the past I’d think that that will be typical for the future.

Been a fair amount of discussion over Quaker States Ultimate Protection here. One of the points of discussion has been whether or not it was really any different from the full synthetic. From reviewing the PDS sheets and VOA's they look very similar, except the Ultimate had an MRV of about half of that of the full synthetic. That made me suspicious it might be GTL, but I've had a hard time finding an SDS. Today I was finally able to overcome Shell's ridiculously complicated SDS search sheet and connect to an SDS.

Guess what? QS Ultimate Protection is indeed GTL. Much like the Euro 5w40 that is well like on here it's listed as 80-90% GTL on the SDS.

Sweet! The 5w30 I was looking for was not listed, but I was able to download the 5w20. I downloaded the PDF version of the SDS but I can't get it to attach here. I copied and pasted the relevant part I'm referencing. The QS Euro is a smoking deal now it looks like this is too.

Sounds like QSUD is good stuff??

Hey @KCJeep

I'd wager it's been like this for a while. I posted below, back in 2021.

1707253020103.jpg

However, there is a newish youtube personality who claims to be a Tribologist (The Motor Oil Geek) who says it isn't...

What I posted was pertinent to the Ultimate Protection 20k rated oil. With all the naming games that have gone on some are confusing Ultimate Protection with the former Ultimate Durability. Also not the same as the current Full Synthetic.

I don’t know if the others were/are GTL or not. 🤷‍♂️. The Euro is though.

Back