Your and You're ... Please Get it Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
If we're going to use English as it was meant to be employed, could we please standardise on Aluminium (two 'i's and five syllables) and drop the abomination of Aluminum (not enough 'i's and missing a syllable)? It's Sodium not Sodum and Potassium not Potassum so it's not that difficult to remember!

Best post so far, and includes the British spelling of standardize !!
happy2.gif

I have to admit, I admire the spelling of some words in the proper King's English. I have my android phone set to UK English in order to change the synthesized speech to a hot sounding British chick instead of the default voice. I've also changed the Launch Phrase from Ok Google to "Moneypenny."

Yep. I've got Bond's secretary in my phone now.

Anyhow, what I'm getting at is the android spell check now uses UK spellings when it corrects select words and offers them up when I'm texting or otherwise writing something up.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
We need to bring back the Draft,

The selective service draft might keep a lot of unemployed young men off the street. It might reduce gang problems, in addition to teaching them discipline and some employable skills.

I try to use good grammar and sentence structure, but I'm not perfect. A few punctuation errors here and there don't bother me as much as the "Me and her", or He done this" sentence structures.

If the point to be conveyed is formed with decent structure, I don't worry slight punctuation errors.

We are posting on an oil forum, not writing a term paper.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The selective service draft might keep a lot of unemployed young men off the street. It might reduce gang problems, in addition to teaching them discipline and some employable skills.

I try to use good grammar and sentence structure, but I'm not perfect. A few punctuation errors here and there don't bother me as much as the "Me and her", or He done this" sentence structures.

If the point to be conveyed is formed with decent structure, I don't worry slight punctuation errors.

We are posting on an oil forum, not writing a term paper.

The comma is supposed to be inside the quote marks; same with periods.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

grin2.gif

Thanks! I learn everyday!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Originally Posted By: spasm3
"Me and her", or He done this"

grin2.gif

The coma is fine, the error is no quote mark before He.

This always bothers me:

"Just I and my friend,
We'll travel for miles with our Saturday smiles"

How about when people use the first person pronoun as the object in a sentence? This one is rampant everywhere, even with people who think they're using correct grammar.

I'll elaborate.

Incorrect: My friend and me went to the store together and bought TVs.
Correct: My friend and I went to the store together and bought TVs.

Here's the kicker:

Incorrect: That sales guy was so good he was able to sell TVs to both my friend and I.
Correct: That sales guy was so good he was able to sell TVs to both my friend and me.

For some reason, people now think this use of the word "me" is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back