Terrible local tornado in Indiana ☹️

Winchester, Indiana tonight is one of the towns where we have a plant. Tornado formed about 2 miles outside town (about 500 yards from my buddy’s house), touched down and proceeded to destroy a majority of the south side of town.

A trailer park, the hospital and nursing home, lots of homes, a Goodwill store, and the Taco Bell were essentially leveled. Pictures do not capture the destruction as people who’ve lived this know. Indiana State Police reports at this time no fatalities, but supposedly over 100 people are being transported to other hospitals, and over 20 people are reported as missing. If you’re so inclined, please say a prayer for these folks; they definitely need it.

On my way in to the plant to help, over 20 ambulances from towns as far as 30 minutes away were all headed to town. I’d bet over 100 emergency vehicles are on site, dealing with downed power lines, several large natural gas leaks, injured people, and the massive damage. Dump trucks along with plow trucks headed in to essentially bulldoze the debris off the roadways. Governor Holcomb is already sending state emergency services. Below are some pics (notice the before & after of the Taco Bell), and the video of the funnel cloud is from my buddy’s back yard.

Springtime in the Midwest- always keep your ears perked up for tornado sirens. They’re not an inconvenience!
IMG_1174.jpeg
IMG_1175.jpeg
IMG_1176.jpeg
IMG_1177.jpeg
IMG_1178.jpeg
IMG_1181.jpeg

Winchester, Indiana tonight is one of the towns where we have a plant. Tornado formed about 2 miles outside town (about 500 yards from my buddy’s house), touched down and proceeded to destroy a majority of the south side of town.

A trailer park, the hospital and nursing home, lots of homes, a Goodwill store, and the Taco Bell were essentially leveled. Pictures do not capture the destruction as people who’ve lived this know. Indiana State Police reports at this time no fatalities, but supposedly over 100 people are being transported to other hospitals, and over 20 people are reported as missing. If you’re so inclined, please say a prayer for these folks; they definitely need it.

On my way in to the plant to help, over 20 ambulances from towns as far as 30 minutes away were all headed to town. I’d bet over 100 emergency vehicles are on site, dealing with downed power lines, several large natural gas leaks, injured people, and the massive damage. Dump trucks along with plow trucks headed in to essentially bulldoze the debris off the roadways. Governor Holcomb is already sending state emergency services. Below are some pics (notice the before & after of the Taco Bell), and the video of the funnel cloud is from my buddy’s back yard.

Springtime in the Midwest- always keep your ears perked up for tornado sirens. They’re not an inconvenience!View attachment 208334View attachment 208335View attachment 208336View attachment 208337View attachment 208338View attachment 208339
I had a tornado pretty much land in my back yard as a kid in Georgia. It's amazing how fast a tornado can form, touch down, destroy property, then dissipate.

yeesh man, hoping everyones ok....

Tornados are terrifying, I still have nightmares about the ones I lived through as a kid in the midwest.
Nature ain’t something you can disrespect; she gets her way when angry, that’s for sure. Even though my house has stood strong out here in the cornfields for 124 years, I do believe this is the summer I’ll be digging a shelter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Madison and Hanover Indiana also got hit along with Milton KY....

EF 3 and or stronger tornadoes kill almost 99 percent of people who die in any tornadic activity…

A vast majority of homes and businesses are not built to stand up to 135 mph winds up to 320 miles per hour that hit from all directions…

And it takes just right conditions like a strong cold front, a strong low level jet , a cold upper level low pressure center aloft, a strengthening surface low pressure center, a warm front as well, high dew points and warm air with high energy potential of more than typically 2,000 joules per kilogram up to nearly 7,000 joules per kilogram of air, and winds changing with atmospheric height that causes helicity greater than 250 m2/ s2 … All of those markers make for a very favorable environment for severe long track tornadoes in a given area.

My area experienced that in April 2011. . Separate from the massive Super Outbreak.

And the Super Outbreak in the southeast US experienced that in April of 2011 as well.

Having a weather radio with an alarm system is a MUST in the Dixie Alley area for tornadoes that can hit at night time. Shocking how often that happens in Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi.

And of course north and west of that area it is a very good idea too.

Lakeview, ohio... 30 or so mi from me, just a but SW of where my GF lives...( She and hers unscathed)
https://www.10tv.com/article/news/l...rted/530-8fb6176b-eb85-4771-b90e-fd7bfd920e3a
apologies if this one ends up paywalled... they seem to randomly do that....

Thankfully the human aspect of this disaster in Winchester isn’t as bad as initially reported on social media. But this is as of 4am; surely daylight will reveal more carnage.

I had a tornado pretty much land in my back yard as a kid in Georgia. It's amazing how fast a tornado can form, touch down, destroy property, then dissipate.
It's truly astonishing.

We had one run through our neighborhood on April 1st last year. The sounds that we heard while in the basement were terrifying. It sounded like there was hail hitting the floor above us. Fortunately no one had any significant property damage, just the usual siding and shingles. I could not live in an area that sees that kind of activity regularly. Hopefully it doesn't become regular here.

EF 3 and or stronger tornadoes kill almost 99 percent of people who die in any tornadic activity…

A vast majority of homes and businesses are not built to stand up to 135 mph winds up to 320 miles per hour that hit from all directions…

And it takes just right conditions like a strong cold front, a strong low level jet , a cold upper level low pressure center aloft, a strengthening surface low pressure center, a warm front as well, high dew points and warm air with high energy potential of more than typically 2,000 joules per kilogram up to nearly 7,000 joules per kilogram of air, and winds changing with atmospheric height that causes helicity greater than 250 m2/ s2 … All of those markers make for a very favorable environment for severe long track tornadoes in a given area.

My area experienced that in April 2011. . Separate from the massive Super Outbreak.

And the Super Outbreak in the southeast US experienced that in April of 2011 as well.

Having a weather radio with an alarm system is a MUST in the Dixie Alley area for tornadoes that can hit at night time. Shocking how often that happens in Arkansas, Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Louisiana and Mississippi.

And of course north and west of that area it is a very good idea too.
The low in Colorado that has been hanging around is helping to form a cold area north with warm gulf flow from the south. Expect active weather in the Midwest towards the end of the month. Maybe a blizzard along with thunderstorms.

Best wishes to everyone affected and to the rebuilding efforts ahead of them. Thank you for sharing.

I always experience a bit a guilt feeling attempting to ramp up my empathy. Bad things are happening around the world everyday. One can not dwell on this constantly, yet you want to be empathetic. It's like sickness or almost everything - you don't really know how bad it is unless "it's happening in your back yard". Please share any methods to care more.

Last edited:
I'm surely not trying to be a 'thread killer' here but it does amaze me that underground housing -be it high end or extremely basic- isn't something people do.
The news reports are just shots of the destruction or of people in shelters.
Steel housing isn't mentioned either.

Not many buildings can withstand +200 mph winds and not straight line winds like Hurricanes but twisty and gusty. Steel would not be much good unless it's an inch thick.

Building underground around here (Illinois) and I guarantee water problems. Does eliminate the flood plain building though....

I'm surely not trying to be a 'thread killer' here but it does amaze me that underground housing -be it high end or extremely basic- isn't something people do.
The news reports are just shots of the destruction or of people in shelters.
Steel housing isn't mentioned either.

Excellent point. My mom has told me several stories about living in Kansas since the 1930s, a tornado shelter was just another thing folks have. Mother nature doesn't care about human behavior. Commercial areas should have one too for their workers or raise taxes to have the municipality do it in strategic spots with signage.

Confirmed six were killed in Ohio.

Lakeview, ohio... 30 or so mi from me
It's probably the same system that started in the Winchester area and went east through Celina, Wapak, then the Lakeview area. There was also stuff going on a bit further south (north-ish of Springfield and east of Piqua). Our son, his girlfriend, two cats, and a dog were hanging out in their (small) bathroom for a while yesterday evening.

It's truly astonishing.

We had one run through our neighborhood on April 1st last year. The sounds that we heard while in the basement were terrifying. It sounded like there was hail hitting the floor above us. Fortunately no one had any significant property damage, just the usual siding and shingles. I could not live in an area that sees that kind of activity regularly. Hopefully it doesn't become regular here.
The one I experienced sounded like a freight train roar overhead. The neighbors were on national television. I vividly remember going to their house with my parents and seeing a chunk of pine tree driven like a nail through the roof, punching a clean hole in their kitchen hardwood floor and into their basement. Most bizarre thing ever. They just happened to be in their living room feet away when it happened.
Another odd fact is that in 6th grade my class got to visit NCAR and NOAA. Apparently only about one in ten thunderstorms produce tornadoes. The weird thing is that meteorologists have been studying for decades and while alot is known nobody can definitively say one storm will or won't create tornadoes.

I saw the indications of severe storms on the weather map yesterday afternoon. I said, this looks like it's going to be bad.
We rarely get tornadoes of any significance up here in the northeast, I do recall one mowing through the northern outskirts of Lowell Mass. and So NH in the early 70's, It hit a fancy golf course and C.C. up there.

Back