Delayed Possession After Closing Thoughts?

Take pictures right after closing just for a record. Last house gave the people 30 days the appliances were old but working they swapped out the fridge with one that didn't work right didn't have any pics. It wasn't the money $50-75 just the principal.

With today's eviction rules ... no way would I allow anyone to stay in a house I just purchased!

When I bought my first house back in 2016 it was occupied as a rental. I was in an apartment lease for another 9 months (could afford both anyway) so it worked in everyone's favor to get the closing pushed back.

However, at the last minute - as in the day before final walkthrough / closing - the tennants sprung it on the sellers that they were under the impression they going to rent from me. I got a frantic call from the my realtor at the last minute ... news to me! I have never spoke to the people.

I don't know the people who were living there, but I'm not a gambling man so I said NO to that. Either we delay closing or they get the tenants out. I kinda felt bad, but they were made well aware of the house getting sold.

They moved out and left a lot of stuff behind. Turns out they were not good people. I'm glad I didn't decide to rent to them. Who knows how that would have went.

How much do you trust the sellers? That’s the key. Even if they look great, I’d still probably document and walk through with a third party.

Back