Yet Another Reason To Change Your Own Oil

Can't assume it's even from the vehicle............

But I mean does he video every oil pan change?

Never know but I was impressed with this YouTube comment: "A Tahoe came in with little to no oil pressure. When we took the pan off, we found instructions for a Toyota cartridge style oil filter plugging the pickup tube. It had to be intentional."

Last edited:
Can't assume it's even from the vehicle............

But I mean does he video every oil pan change?

Never know but I was impressed with this comment: "A Tahoe came in with little to no oil pressure. When we took the pan off, we found instructions for a Toyota cartridge style oil filter plugging the pickup tube. It had to be intentional."
Are you talking about another video? No Tahoe and no Toyota and no instructions noted.
Expedition and an oil change sticker.

I'm wondering if this was made up for the video. Not being negative but just wondering since the sticker is legible.
Anyone else?
The sticker looks to be of some type of clear vinyl / plastic sheet..... A while back I was trying to clean up a cheap, plastic tackle box that my wife had for her sewing crap, that I wanted to commandeer for some of my AR-15 gun stuff.

She had written all over it with one of those permanent black Magic Marker pens.... "Marks-A-Lot" was the brand name, if I remember correctly.

I tried and used everything under the Sun trying to remove her writings, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING took that ink off. It penetrated right into the plastic material itself.

When I got desperate enough, not even gasoline or lacquer thinner would budge it. All it managed to do was attack the plastic itself, to the point that I ruined it.

So I can believe the ink markings could have survived a life in hot motor oil. Now, could an engine live for over 100,000 miles with that blocking the oil pickup??? You make the call.

The sticker looks to be of some type of clear vinyl / plastic sheet..... A while back I was trying to clean up a cheap, plastic tackle box that my wife had for her sewing crap, that I wanted to commandeer for some of my AR-15 gun stuff.

She had written all over it with one of those permanent black Magic Marker pens.... "Marks-A-Lot" was the brand name, if I remember correctly.

I tried and used everything under the Sun trying to remove her writings, and nothing, and I mean NOTHING took that ink off. It penetrated right into the plastic material itself.

When I got desperate enough, not even gasoline or lacquer thinner would budge it. All it managed to do was attack the plastic itself, to the point that I ruined it.

So I can believe the ink markings could have survived a life in hot motor oil. Now, could an engine live for over 100,000 miles with that blocking the oil pickup??? You make the call.
Yup....
Funny I bought some clear Plastic Kendall oil change stickers off Amazon and used a red permanent marker and the sun made them disappear in say 3 moths on the windshield. Different of course but I guess UV light will make the markers fade out.

So no argument on your experience but I suspect many make this stuff up for hits and entertainment. It's YouTube afterall. I don't like how it was somewhat neatly folded either.

Yup....
Funny I bought some clear Plastic Kendall oil change stickers off Amazon and used a red permanent marker and the sun made them disappear in say 3 moths on the windshield. Different of course but I guess UV light will make the markers fade out.

So no argument on your experience but I suspect many make this stuff up for hits and entertainment. It's YouTube afterall. I don't like how it was somewhat neatly folded either.
In my other house I had a valve in the front yard that led to the sewer. It had to be open in order to backwash the pool filter. So I labeled it with one of those nice labelmakers you can buy that takes the roll of tape.

I stuck it on the PVC by the valve, and in just one Summer the lettering was completely GONE. UV light had destroyed it. I painted the PVC because if you don't the UV light will turn it purple / black, and in a few years it will become very brittle.

Last fall I replaced the sump gasket on my riding mower engine. There were handwritten numbers of some sort on the inside of the crankcase that had managed to survive 15 years of being soaked in hot oil.

Yup....

Your sticker was likely vinyl - which is very dense and smooth. The marker ink sat on top.

@billt460 tackle box was likely a cheap polypropylene - which was slight textured and not as dense, hence the marker penetrated the surface, so surface cleaners did nothing.

Still, there is a reason they say sunlight is the best disinfectant.

Assuming this wasn't a staged production..............
Perhaps it didn't fully block the flow of oil?
I'm sure "just enough" got to the bearings and cylinder walls to prevent any damage. He never made mention of low oil pressure, or a oil idiot light ever coming on. But even so, if the whole thing is legit, it's amazing to say the least.

I stuck it on the PVC by the valve, and in just one Summer the lettering was completely GONE. UV light had destroyed it. I painted the PVC because if you don't the UV light will turn it purple / black, and in a few years it will become very brittle.
I don't know how long it takes, but I always keep painted any PVC outside the house.
* furnace vents
* gutter downspouts

Interesting. I've never seen that, but have seen plenty of foil from oil jugs in cylinder heads and oil pans. Just from people being sloppy or not paying attention.

Back