Best place to get drain plug washers?

MityVac is even easier. But that's not what the OP asked.
No, but it's a solid suggestion, and therefore valid to be mentioned. It's not like he derailed the conversation with a sales pitch. Just today i pointed my Dad in this direction when he brought up VW wanting a new drain plug and washer at every oil change.

I bought some washers at Grangier the other day. NAPA has them, too.

I bought a box of 10 from Rockauto along with some other things. I don't remember the cost.

I got 5 plastic washers by Dorman about 5 years ago. Still on the first ones used. Don't anticipate the need for the other three.

An aluminum or copper crush washer is a commodity. In a blue box from Sweden, it’s $2.00. Bought in bulk on Amazon, it’s 10 cents.

I buy them in bulk on Amazon.

In fact, I have an assortment of sizes, and a stash of the common sizes, for both copper and aluminum.

For folded steel crush washers (some Toyota transmission drain plugs) I bite the bullet and go dealer.

For fiber washers, like Toyota, buy in bulk on Amazon. 10 at a pop for about the price of 2 from the dealer.

Not the best place, but if you're a hoarder of such things you can feed your addiction for cheap.

The same place were Amazon and ebay spark plugs are born.

They use simple washer but they're made out of a very soft metal, maybe aluminum. I don't know how people use them more than 2-3 times (I typically do - I flip it over and reuse it once) because they become close to paper thin and can't accomplish much.

There are plenty of knock-offs on Amazon that I wouldn't be afraid of using. What could go wrong ? Worst case, they're a one-time use by being even softer than spec. Honda says to use a new (OEM) washer every time anyway.
How tight are you making your drain plugs? I don’t torque mine with a torque wrench or anything, but it only takes a tiny tug after its finger tightened. I replace my first washer on my cars as the oem is usually painted onto the drain plug and or oil pan, so it’s obvious it’s the one out of the factory. After I replace that, I don’t usually need another. My Mazda goes on 5k oil changes and just did its 90k oil change, washer is still perfectly fine.

I’ve seen plenty of smashed washers like you speak of, but it was when I worked in the dealer and guys tightened with air ratchets, or double long wrenches, etc. Those ones get replaced, as do copper and crushable ones like Subarus, but beyond that I reuse.

30 ft/lbs, using a torque wrench
If I am feeling lazy, I just tighten until the washer starts to yeild/crush and stop. Drain bolts aren't under extreme pressure or vibration, so don't need to be extremely tight. One reason I do my own oil changes, invariably when I get my cars back from the dealer they are either leaking a bit from too loose, or when I do the change I practically need a breaker bar to get them loose.

Back