Most Satisfying Part of an Oil Change

What do you find most satisfying about changing oil?

For me it changed a little bit. I used to love pouring the new oil into the motor and watching the gold liquid go in. Now with 0W20 its over too quickly. I also loved starting up for the first time and hearing the engine run on new oil. I still love that but its not the most satisfying.

Now for some reason I find draining the old oil most satisfying. When you crack that drain plug and the hot oil first comes out. I love that.

Knowing that it’s done correctly by me, with the products of my choice.
And while I’m underneath the car I get to look at anything else I need to look at. But if you paid somebody money they would actually miss a possible problem because they’re always in a hurry to get to the next job.

When the fluid extractor finally reaches 8 quarts, looking up at the blue sky on a sunny Sunday afternoon in my yard and realizing i extracted it all without a lift and i didn't have to touch the drain plug, which hasn't been touched in years and nothing to strip.

Then i look at the huge filter housing which holds a huge filter and....huh...how nice of them.....it's just right there within easy reach and again, no lift.

For me it changed a little bit. I used to love pouring the new oil into the motor and watching the gold liquid go in. Now with 0W20 its over too quickly. I also loved starting up for the first time and hearing the engine run on new oil. I still love that but its not the most satisfying.

Now for some reason I find draining the old oil most satisfying. When you crack that drain plug and the hot oil first comes out. I love that.
Knowing that it cost me about $15 USD for my 2003 Accord (oil purchased on clearance and as well as filter). Plus getting to smell the aroma of TKO hand cleaner afterwards. Driving by a nearby big chain quick lube center and seeing people there for oil changes (and the obligatory engine air filter replacement as recommended by manager) is an added satisfaction.

For me it goes a long way, when I lived in an apartment before having my own property and garage/tools to do all my own automotive service/repairs, I was pretty much at the mercy of having to go with a trusted family neighborhood mechanic that would do the labor for me while I provided the oil and filter. Covid-19 happened and unfortunately they closed their business and the building got sold to a new business. At this time I was driving my father's hand me downed 94 Honda Accord LX, over 270K miles using whatever cheap oil and filter bundle I could get at AutoZone. Tried out an instant oil change service at one time and realized how much of a rip off of them selling me synthetic oil for 70 dollars. Realizing that I needed to save up for basic tools to do it myself later on.

I feel pretty much the same as you when it comes to self servicing the oil drains and fill. No longer have to worry about some rando tech under or overfilling my engine and making any mess in the engine bay. And finally having the privilege of cutting open filters to see the current health of the engine. I am pretty guilty of sniffing fresh and old oil to see where the difference lies in case I notice the smell of gas or coolant makes it to the oil.

Back