Yet another leaking Champion filter

The only sub-$2.00 I purchased was a couple Premium Guards at rockauto. Built well and a couple were shown here by other members. Only issue I had was cold-start barking at exactly 3K. I suspected the nitrile ADBV.

I'm not sure what brand hosts the best nitrile ADBVs. But the last Supertech 10K filter I bought at Walmart went 9k OCI in my wife's former Malibu and the cold starts stayed quiet and the filter was full of oil when drained at 9K. That was right around one year ago, just prior to donating the vehicle and buying our Kia Soul for my wife.

I had the same issue using them on a gen 3 coyote. I think if you really tighten them it would be fine. But the gasket is so thick compared to all the other filters for my application that it impedes the oil passages anyways. I've since thrown them all out and moved back to Fram Ultras.

We have all this information on how to and not to tighten and oil filter but, we don't get the answer on where the leaks are accoutring. Gasket or seam? Ed

Originally Posted by Eddie
We have all this information on how to and not to tighten and oil filter but, we don't get the answer on where the leaks are accoutring. Gasket or seam? Ed

If the filter is actually tight, I'd suspect it's more likely to be the crimped seam that's leaking. WIX filters seems to have issues with that sometimes from what's been reported here.

I used to tighten my filters with a 48" pipe wrench until the rear of the vehicle started moving left or right.
lol.gif

Seriously, I just gripped the filter with both hands after it made contact and turned it 1/2-3/4 turn more.

I have been using these filters (probably not the same model) in my vehicles. No issues. Every model car is different. Maybe you have a small spot on the sealing surface of vehicle?

Back