Champ PH500XL Nitrile ADBV

The Supertech version of this filter is also nitrile now. I bought the last 5 old style 7317 my walmart had.
Hi SC Maintenance.,

The MP7317 has been out for at least a month at my WalMart and it seems like all the SuperTechs filtrs are not being restocked.
Is WalMart eliminating the SuperTech filter brand?

The MP7317 offers a lot of value for $5.97 in the 99%, 30 micron, 20K life level of performance.
Perhaps people are opting for the Fram Extra Guards ($4.12) and Tough Guards ($7.17) instead. Always a fresh stock available. They are replenished regularly like the vegetables in the produce area! :)

Is there a way to tell other than fire?
Not sure about fire - it’s an in between temperature rating not as high - and likely to burn with the tale tell black smoke …
AC Delco puts it in writing - you could put them side by side and have a better idea - I know once cleaned it’s a very smooth, precise, and shiny material … I’ll do that eventually bcs I have some ACD’s clearly made by Champ …

I’d buy Donaldson and Prime Guard and ECOGUARD. Couldn’t pay me to touch CarQuest stuff. Never know what you will get.
i didn’t start using them until they showed up with the silicone gasket and “leak tested” “made in vietnam” on the bottom. i have some trucks coming up one their OCI soon so i’ll post c&p’s.

I think you are over reacting. When the filter is changed at the proper interval, I never had a problem with a nitrile ADBV. Years ago, all you saw was nitrile and engines were surviving just fine.
You make a good point. For ~5k mi. oci, nitrile likely serves the purpose.

Otoh, 'if' a filter advertises/promotes using a silicone adbv, then it should have silicone. For all the reasons covered multiple times this subforum, there's no doubt silicone is the superior adbv material. That statement includes vs any form of rubber, nitrile or AEM. Afaik, only ACDelco notes use of latter,

'I' would think a filter with moniker XL and touts for use with "longer drain intervals", a silicone adbv would be spec.

Yeah, I get them with my discount for $4~

Shame when Fram cheap rams something then price goes way up. Why I say I’ll pay $2-3 for Ecoguard and Prime Guard. But donaldsons are highly respected.
Donaldson's are nice filters I just wish they had a silicone ADBV like a lot of premium filters do.

Maybe, but silicone handles heat and cold better, retains its shape better, and can be stored longer. All benefits for oil filters.

Also, if you were getting it before, and now your not, then its a form of shrinkflation or cheapening.

If I want a nitrile valve with a cellulose filter media why not just buy a $2 luber finer - also made by Champ.
Both you and Scott S make good points. I bought 6 of these filters from Amazon and I’m finding out not all have silicone ADBV’s. So instead of running them 20k on my old Honda Fit I’m going to go 10k and be happy. I still got a good deal.

I purchased 2 PH500XL filters from RockAuto they came in with a nitrile anti drain back valve, I contacted RockAuto, it's going to cost me more to send them back then I paid for them, so I contacted Champ labs, they tell me to contact RockAuto, For a refund because they are RockAuto's supplier.
Another filter that is going downhill, and trying to cut corners.. I bought this filter about 2 months prior, just to cut open and inspect it, and it came with silicone anti drain back valve, which is the last picture..

View attachment 207900

View attachment 207901

View attachment 207902

View attachment 207903

View attachment 207904

View attachment 207905

View attachment 207906
Hi Scott S,

A non-centered ADBV + cobbled up machining at the centered threads + RockAuto runaround = get a Fram Extra Guard or Tough Guard at your nearby Walmart. You can inspect every one that you buy and the quality is reliable. Returns are processed in seconds at WalMart if you decide to take them back.

Last edited:
Hi Scott S,

A non-centered ADBV + cobbled up machining at the centered threads + RockAuto runaround = get a Fram Extra Guard or Tough Guard at your nearby Walmart. You can inspect every one that you buy and the quality is reliable. Returns are processed in seconds at WalMart if you decide to take them back.
The tough guards are sealed here. But Walmart will take them back.

Back