Dog food for new puppy.

Well I got a new puppy, 4 month old German Shepard. Never had a big dog before, I grew up with Cocker Spaniels and I’m assuming their dietary needs are different. I know about the hip dysplasia and reduced calcium needed. I’m not sure which brand would be best. Got doing research and it’s quite overwhelming and I don’t want to feed him the Pedigree that the wife feeds her Morkies. (I don’t think they’re real dogs, shhh).

What do you guys recommend for a young growing pup?

Attachments

• CD1BEA9F-7BBC-4A5F-9BAA-D4EEB3171611.jpeg
    CD1BEA9F-7BBC-4A5F-9BAA-D4EEB3171611.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
Tractor Supply has some good dog foods...4Health puppy food is rated very highly on dogfoodadvisor.com.
Avoid foods that have corn as the main ingredient....look for Chicken meal, lamb meal, beef meal etc...

We feed blue Buffalo, just because it seems like the best we can bu6 at the grocery store..
it’s an entire rabbit hole going down the healthy dog food theories, some say grain free, some say grain free causes heart issues, some say corn is bad, some say corn is fine.

Oh Lord. I’ve spent the last three hours on dogfoodadvisor.com. It really is a rabbit hole, grain, grain free, fresh food that cost $400 a month. Holy moly. We’ve used Iams with our cockers with good success, 4Health too. I’ve heard both good and bad about them. Blue Buffalo is on my radar. I’ve heard excellent things about it. My BIL feeds his German Sheppard Purina Pro Plan but I’ve heard that’s an average food as well.

Ask the breeder what food they recommend.

Start with that... then transition to another food that may fit your budget better. Kirkland from Costco is good, made by Diamond Pet foods.

Good looking dog.
Victor makes a great dog food.
Earthborn Holistic
Purina Pro Plan Sport
I’ve used all three. I like to give our dog a fish, chicken, or lamb based product. When feeding dry food, add a little water or broth to the bowl. I prefer dry because, that’s what our breeder recommended. Our Cardigan Corgi is nearly 13.

Oh Lord. I’ve spent the last three hours on dogfoodadvisor.com. It really is a rabbit hole, grain, grain free, fresh food that cost $400 a month. Holy moly. We’ve used Iams with our cockers with good success, 4Health too. I’ve heard both good and bad about them. Blue Buffalo is on my radar. I’ve heard excellent things about it. My BIL feeds his German Sheppard Purina Pro Plan but I’ve heard that’s an average food as well.
Isn’t dog food advisor a dentist? Researching dog food is really a rabbit hole. I trust what our vet recommends. I’d start there and skip all the internet “experts.”

We feed blue Buffalo, just because it seems like the best we can bu6 at the grocery store..
it’s an entire rabbit hole going down the healthy dog food theories, some say grain free, some say grain free causes heart issues, some say corn is bad, some say corn is fine.

Buffalo is a quality food. And while it could be considered somewhat expensive, it has a good reputation and contents. Don't go by what your vet say's, because most of them will push whatever they're selling. Usually some type of Science Diet, or else something similar that's way overpriced, and no better than the large bag stuff they sell at Wal-Mart. (Pedigree, Old Roy, and the like).

Shepard's are not usually picky eaters, so he will most likely dive in, and not come up for air until the bowl is clean. Good luck with your new dog!

Take a look at IAMS. I fed that to my dog her whole life. Now feeding it to my new pup, now 10 months old.

That's the dry food we keep out for our little Poodle mix. He munches on it regularly throughout the day. He likes the wet Cesar in the little tubs, and the canned Buffalo once and a while. But he'll get tired of a steady diet of it. So we switch back and forth.

The dry Iams seems to keep his teeth somewhat cleaner than the other dry brands.

I am leaning towards Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild looks pretty good as well. His breeder had the pups on Purina Pro Plan. Any ideas for canned food? Or should I stick with dry. He has one hell of an appetite, if we leave the food down for the stubborn ankle biters, the Shepard will start scarfing that down too.

I've had dogs that I've fed Pedigree, that have all lived long and healthy lives. I have friends who train dock dogs, and they feed Pedigree. I guess I have to ask as to what is wrong with Pedigree?

Feed it the Pedigree. If it works, then go with it. If the pup shows signs of having some sort of food related issue, then address it and move on to any one of these thousands of other foods. You're overthinking this.

With my current dog I use Purina One Smart Blend. That’s what she was fed since she was a puppy it’s what the breeder used. It ain’t cheap by no means but there is a variety of flavors so your dog won’t get tired of the same one. My previous dog loved Gravy Train and that’s what he had his whole life.

Subscribe to the "Whole Dog Journal" they write up dog foods a couple times a year.
For now, look at the ingredient list on the bag, make sure no corn, no un-named meat sources, no by-products.

Example, if on the bag just says liver, then avoid it. It doesnt state what liver.
Now if is says beef liver, chicken liver ect that is good.

Never feed just one brand of food, alternated between 3 different companies.
Until you subscribe to Whole Dog Journal,

This site is pretty good, chose any THREE 4 or 5 star foods and alternate between the three or mix them together.
On the side you will also see links to Puppy foods, but you can select from either one, meaning the brands mentioned are usually pretty good across adult and puppy foods because they are quality manufacturers.
Only one I would avoid is Blue Buffalo for no other reason than "because"

Dont miss the main page of the website either = https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com

Again, I stress if you really want to learn more about a dogs needs and care subscribe to the "Whole Dog Journal"
They cover everything about dogs, once a month in the mail.

Why you may ask?
If as a human you ate the same EXACT food product from the same EXACT manufacturer do you think you would grow up and be healthy?
Lets say on a diet of Burger King every day of your life.
You would have a much better chance of a longer life if you ate the junk from three different companies because one maybe missing something or have something harmful in it, so by mixing it up, no one food can harm the dog.

Also it never hurts to add a little human protein to the top of the food (you dont have to do that right away) but, for example Costco chickens cost about the same price as dog food, so you can sprinkle some real chicken on the food, or canned Mackerel from Walmart is less expensive then dog food and you can sprinkle some of that on ect ect..

Last edited:
I used Royal Canin Puppy for both of my pups. First dog, a Golden Retriever went through almost every type before he settled on Canin. Stomach issues, etc. Its high quality and works great.
As adults we settled on Canin again, both my dogs have perfect coats, no itching, and are not a pound overweight.

been feeding our beloved 11 YO unnutered male Bischon Earthborns grin free wet-canned food for a few years + he does well as Bischons are noted for skin issues we had in the past. they have grain free kibble as well as bigger dogs that eat more get costly + of course like everything else a lot depends on your $$$. Dr Becker on Mercola has some good info on dog foods + her advise for 100% pumpkin in a can keeps loose stools at bay. dogs should NOT eat grains among other stuff BUT pet food is POORLY regulated + like human foods $$$$ buys approvals + allows MUCH misinformation!!

been feeding our beloved 11 YO unnutered male Bischon Earthborns grin free wet-canned food for a few years + he does well as Bischons are noted for skin issues we had in the past. they have grain free kibble as well as bigger dogs that eat more get costly + of course like everything else a lot depends on your $$$. Dr Becker on Mercola has some good info on dog foods + her advise for 100% pumpkin in a can keeps loose stools at bay.
Canned pumpkin is our go to for diarrhea, it works so fast

Back