Won the bid, not sure if I will be awarded the 1979 YAMAHA XS1100

I bought a CB750 two years ago as a project to work on. Had to rebuild the carbs, plugs, coils and wires, new tires, and shim the valves.
I was surprised to find out how many parts you can still get for these bikes.

Best part of it all was no rust repair, that's why I like old bikes more then old cars.:)

I had them all too. KZ-900, KZ-1000, KH 750... it didn't hurt that mom was secretary to the president of Kawasaki USA at the time. Amazing how much bike technology has changed.
Bike technology sure has changed a lot but I think I liked it better before bikes became so 'specialized'.
It seems bikes of today are more 1 dimensional compared to those days of UJM's. When I bought my brand new Yamaha XS650 in 1977 (for under $2K IIRC) it was big enough for longer trips or 2 up riding and yet small enough to handle comfortably. I remember I thought of upgrading to the Yamaha XS750 triple mainly because I liked the shaft drive.
My dream bike at that time was the BMW Boxer twin but it cost too much for me....I would have even been happy with 750 version.

I couldn't help but notice the Razor and what looked like a Yahmaha MT-07 next to your new bike. I bet either of those would have been major $$$. So wife should be happy with your choice!

• Haha
Reactions: GON
I couldn't help but notice the Razor and what looked like a Yahmaha MT-07 next to your new bike. I bet either of those would have been major $$$. So wife should be happy with your choice!
It is not the money my Wife will be upset about, it is the safety of a older guy riding a bike. She counts on me to not take unnecessary risks, as we both depend on each other.

Costs came in much higher than the pre-bid calculator of $174.... ouch....
  • Bid Amount $100.00
  • Buyer Fee: $80.00
  • Service Fee: $79.00
  • Internet Fee: $39.00
  • Environmental Fee $10.00
$308 out the door.... plus cost of trailer rental and fuel...... no free lunch here.....

making money on all those fees is why they let you have it despite not meeting the reserve :sneaky:

• Sad
Reactions: GON
I'm sorry, but isn't this now the (*checks through notes*) second motorcycle auction purchase that you've agonized over having to tell the wifey about?

I seem to recall that we've been through this once before... LOL.

You had better wait until you get it home before you start worrying about this GON. You STILL might not be riding a bike... :)
Earlier this month I went to take my oldest Grandson out to see how he fit on a Pee Wee 50, he turnss six next month and I wanted to get him one for his birthday. Daughter very politley said no, she said the only was she would consider allowing him to get a bike is if I lived local. She is not a fan of him getting a bike, nor does she want to be the one hearing him complain he wants to ride it while the PW50 sits in their suburban garage.... and I am 1,000 miles away.

I'm sorry, but isn't this now the (*checks through notes*) second motorcycle auction purchase that you've agonized over having to tell the wifey about?

I seem to recall that we've been through this once before... LOL.
Yes, but this bike is only 140 miles away, looks intact, and I have more $$$$ shelled out. The other bike was in Reno, and I think I was well under $200 on that bike IIRC.

A high school friend of mine bought a new Kawasaki 750, 2 stroke triple back in 1974 I think it was. That thing was scary fast, and handled like a Schwinn 10 speed with a lawn mower engine.

He rode it one night from Chicago to Carbondale, Illinois, cruising 80+ MPH all the way. He said he averaged about 18 MPG with it, and had to stop for gas several times.

When he drove it easy, around town in traffic for a day or two, then got on the expressway and nailed it, it left behind a cloud of blue/white smoke you couldn't see through. A bit like those military landing craft when they beach. He bought 2 stroke oil by the gallon jug.

Lots of extra charges that make a $100 purchase come out so much more. Not sure how I made such a large mistake on the out the door price......
I'd tell them where to stick that bike. BTW the Sun doesn't shine there.

Back