With all these fancy oils... M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted By: knoas
In Mexico we dont get the "Premium" Mobil 1 oils (EP,AFE,AP).

We do get your regular 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-50.

And event the regular synthetics are still to expensive due to our culture has not made them mainstream yet (i use nothing but synthetic or syn-blend).

Here are some examples of our pricing for synthetics:

Mobil 1 5W-30: $12.50 USD/Quart
Castrol EDGE 5W-30: $12 USD/Quart
Quaker State 5W-30: $10.50 USD/Quart
Valvoline Syn-power 5W-30: $10 USD/Quart

Lately thanks to BITOG i have realized the SynPower is good enough for my application and spend as less as possible, i use it along with a FRAM Ultra.

I used regular Mobil 1 in the past with no noise issues at all.

Is there a Mobil 1 rebate program in Mexico?
That's one thing that helps make M1 very popular in the US, getting $12 back on a 5 quart jug when the rebates are in effect (seems like maybe about 6 months out of a year??).

Over here we dont get any kind of rebates at all... actually generally speaking like rebates, mail-in rebates dont exist.

I feel it will be a long long time before to the same pricing level as the United States so most people on this side of the pond still using dino 20w-50 on so many applications.

I always mention to my friends to check out BITOG so that they can learn about proper viscosities, OEM specs that must be met but they are too lazy and would just rather ask me what is the right oil for their application.

Glad to be a member here
grin.gif

Over here we dont get any kind of rebates at all... actually generally speaking like rebates, mail-in rebates dont exist.

I feel it will be a long long time before to the same pricing level as the United States so most people on this side of the pond still using dino 20w-50 on so many applications.

I always mention to my friends to check out BITOG so that they can learn about proper viscosities, OEM specs that must be met but they are too lazy and would just rather ask me what is the right oil for their application.

Glad to be a member here
grin.gif

OK, given that I think you are making a great choice in using Synpower.
Is 10W30 synth available in your area?
I doubt 5W30's cold starting ability is really needed where you live and 10W30 might give you some slight performance advantages in other areas that would benefit you. 5WXX is tested for cold cranking at -30C compared to -25C for 10WXX, I would guess that distinction is meaningless to you!

BTW, I enjoy BITOG, too...even when members are bickering.
;^)

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi

Glad to be a member here
grin.gif

OK, given that I think you are making a great choice in using Synpower.
Is 10W30 synth available in your area?
I doubt 5W30's cold starting ability is really needed where you live and 10W30 might give you some slight performance advantages in other areas that would benefit you. 5WXX is tested for cold cranking at -30C compared to -25C for 10WXX, I would guess that distinction is meaningless to you!

BTW, I enjoy BITOG, too...even when members are bickering.
;^)

I believe 10W-30 is available, might try in the future.

Been using 5W-30 for the most part (Mobil 1, Castrol, Synpower) due my POVs requested that in the manual.

Thanks for the recommendation and actually do quite enjoy visiting everyday BITOG, i am grateful for the knowledge and advise you can obtain from here.

I also discovered MAXLIFE ATF & FRAM ULTRA oil filters and how good these products are thanks to this forum
wink.gif

Have a good one!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I wish oil on Amazon.ca was that cheap.
frown.gif

Nothing car related that I've ever searched for on Amazon.ca has been cheap, often things on there cost twice as much as you could find them from other sources online! Grrrr

Originally Posted By: jongies3
Comes with the most widely used synthetic oil in the world though. There's no doubt who the #1 oil company is when it comes to synthetic oil users.

Which makes me wonder why it's the #1 oil when everybody complains about it.
grin2.gif

frown.gif

It's not just oil. Compare various things on Amazon Canada versus regular Amazon. While you're sitting on a firm, flat surface, try checking runout dial indicators, and those nifty gas station type neon clocks on both sites.

Originally Posted By: Garak
frown.gif

It's not just oil. Compare various things on Amazon Canada versus regular Amazon. While you're sitting on a firm, flat surface, try checking runout dial indicators, and those nifty gas station type neon clocks on both sites.

Garak, yeah I'm aware and will sometimes ship stuff to my brother in Boston from Amazon.com or other websites and either have him forward it to me from there or hang on to it until I'm down there to see him or when our folks are down visiting. (We usually drive down because it's only 9.5 hours)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
frown.gif

Garak, yeah I'm aware and will sometimes ship stuff to my brother in Boston from Amazon.com or other websites and either have him forward it to me from there or hang on to it until I'm down there to see him or when our folks are down visiting. (We usually drive down because it's only 9.5 hours)

You NAFTA Nazi you … just kidding ~ I’m probably in the top 10% of NAFTA means ABC … (Anything But China) … if there is three countries on this planet who could get by without those double standard communists ~ that Big 3 could …

I work for a company that ships goods/services back/forth across the US Canada border and to/from China. It really bugs me that we can do it at work tax free but me as a citizen of Canada that orders something from the U.S. it gets slapped with Canadian Duties.
mad.gif

As an aside, I think our Amazon's price on a dial indicator was over ten times that from Harbor Freight for the same product (same picture and everything). The clock prices are like 6 times higher here. The Canadian Amazon has learned the Canadian retail way very quickly. Charge through the nose.

355K miles on my 1998 F150, 4.6L. Absolutely no problems, oil consumption or other wear related issues. The last time the plugs were changed, the cylinders still had crosshatch to the top. Mobil 1, 10W-30.

I used aviation based corrosion inhibitors on the truck when new. Made sure to spray every seam, weld and inside the doors etc. It's been in Vermont for the last 8 years and it has no rust at all. It seems that the combo of M1 and proper corrosion inhibiting treatment has resulted in a very long lived truck.

I work for a company that ships goods/services back/forth across the US Canada border and to/from China. It really bugs me that we can do it at work tax free but me as a citizen of Canada that orders something from the U.S. it gets slapped with Canadian Duties.
mad.gif

Somebody has to pay for your 'single payer' health care system.

You do realize that prescription drugs are much cheaper in Canada than America..... somebody has to pay for R&D.....it's another example of Americans subsidizing other countries.

Back on topic....If I could get only one brand of oil at Walmart prices, it would be Mobil 1. It's been proven over and over to be a great oil and a true extended OCI oil....and it's an American company to boot....MAGA

Originally Posted By: buck91
SO with all of these fancy shamcy oils out now a days how does the "original" Mobil 1 stack up? It has a great pedigree and is readily available. Perhaps it not the most cost effective at retail price but otherwise is it a solid oil? Has it been *cough* watered down, so to speak since the introduction, of Mobil's other oils?

I've wondered about this myself. For instance, how does the "standard" M1 stand in the oil hierarchy, say compared to other base synthetic oils like Amsoil OE, PP, etc.?

I mostly run Mobil 1 because it's a quality oil, readily available, and they have annual rebates. Put the rebates together with WalMart prices and the deal is crazy.

I change my oil once per year in the Corvette and about every 9 months in the Tacoma. They both call for 5w30 oil so I grab two 5-qt jugs every time Mobil has their rebate. Add a premium filter for $6 and it's hard to beat $20 for a synthetic oil change.

I do buy other oil but only when the price point is near the same, so it is rare. Most recently Pep Boys had a deal on Valvoline SynPower for $17 per 5-qt jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back