With all these fancy oils... M1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Wolf359

So what are you paying up in Canada? Oil seems to be much cheaper in the US. A bunch of people are just waiting for the Autozone clearance which is usually in December and you get synthetic oil for $2/quart without any rebates.

Decent sale on Mobil1 not too long ago was $26CAD for 4.4L jugs. About $20 US for 4.5 quarts.

Then PP was on sale for $31CAD with $10 rebate so $21 for 5L jug. About $16 US for 5.2 quarts.

Thats about as good as it gets.

I'm so glad I live 40 minutes from the border. I buy everything I can in Buffalo and drive it across. Like tires installed which Canada customs has never seen many times.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm so glad I live 40 minutes from the border. I buy everything I can in Buffalo and drive it across. Like tires installed which Canada customs has never seen many times.
lol.gif

So, you're an oil reverse bootlegger?
smile.gif

I have complete confidence in Mobil 1, enough to run it in all of my cars (and the new one coming soon as well) There are a lot of people out there who have gotten hundreds of thousands of miles out of their engine using M1, and just the regular M1, no need for the more expensive versions.

I don't buy M1 up here though, I always grab it when I make a trip to the US (I'm just an hour from the border and pop over at least once every 6-8 weeks) You can't beat the $22.88 deal at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Wooo … spotted the C7 on order … nice

Thanks! And I don't know if you spotted my other thread, but Mobil 1 is going to be releasing another version of 0w40 that meets the Dexos specs, so that it can be used as factory fill on the Corvettes starting with the 2019 model year (which actually starts production Jan 29, 6 months earlier than usual) They are going to allow this oil to be run on 2014-2018 models as well so even though mine will be factory filled with M1 5w30 I will switch over to this new 0w40 on the first oil change (hopefully by then I will be able to find it at Walmart)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Wooo … spotted the C7 on order … nice

Thanks! And I don't know if you spotted my other thread, but Mobil 1 is going to be releasing another version of 0w40 that meets the Dexos specs, so that it can be used as factory fill on the Corvettes starting with the 2019 model year (which actually starts production Jan 29, 6 months earlier than usual) They are going to allow this oil to be run on 2014-2018 models as well so even though mine will be factory filled with M1 5w30 I will switch over to this new 0w40 on the first oil change (hopefully by then I will be able to find it at Walmart)

Well here come some more good oil on Rollback

I did ~ figured the 30 would wind up break in oil for the 40 … then then stage 2 break in !

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
It's the most widely complained about oil on this forum.
grin2.gif

Mobil 1 Noise at BITOG

Comes with the most widely used synthetic oil in the world though. There's no doubt who the #1 oil company is when it comes to synthetic oil users.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Is there currently a dexos spec for 40 grade oil?

As far as I know, there is no 0w40 or 5w40 weight oil of any brand that meets the Dexos spec (since the 2019 Corvette will be the first GM car to specify an xw40 it hasn't been necessary up until now)

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Is there currently a dexos spec for 40 grade oil?

As far as I know, there is no 0w40 or 5w40 weight oil of any brand that meets the Dexos spec (since the 2019 Corvette will be the first GM car to specify an xw40 it hasn't been necessary up until now)

Dexos1 for petrol / gas engines is only in 20 and 30 grade oils. The HTHS is about 3.1 cP or less.

Dexos2 for diesel and gas / petrol engines is avaliable in 30 or 40 grade oils and has a HTHS of 3.5 cP or more.

In Australia Dexos2 is mostly for Diesel engines, but some petrol / gas engines are stressful on oil, such as the 1.4 L iTi Turbo engine on the Cruze from a few years ago. These little Turbo engines are spec'd Dexos2 by GM Australia. (Not to be confused with generation 2).

My view is that GM are happy if you use a Dexos oil. Dexos2 is definitely required for diesel engines, but for gas / petrol engines a Dexos1 oil for regular applications but a Dexos2 oil can be used for heavy duty gas applications.

Just started our Cruze on M1 0w40 … it will hit 100k on this OCI … good reminder to grab the next jug while still $23 …

Just started our Cruze on M1 0w40 … it will hit 100k on this OCI … good reminder to grab the next jug while still $23 …

Grab several. I've always been suspicious of how that price has not been raised via Walmart yet.

Nice work mate.

In Mexico we dont get the "Premium" Mobil 1 oils (EP,AFE,AP).

We do get your regular 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-50.

And event the regular synthetics are still to expensive due to our culture has not made them mainstream yet (i use nothing but synthetic or syn-blend).

Here are some examples of our pricing for synthetics:

Mobil 1 5W-30: $12.50 USD/Quart
Castrol EDGE 5W-30: $12 USD/Quart
Quaker State 5W-30: $10.50 USD/Quart
Valvoline Syn-power 5W-30: $10 USD/Quart

Lately thanks to BITOG i have realized the SynPower is good enough for my application and spend as less as possible, i use it along with a FRAM Ultra.

I used regular Mobil 1 in the past with no noise issues at all.

Originally Posted By: knoas
In Mexico we dont get the "Premium" Mobil 1 oils (EP,AFE,AP).

We do get your regular 5W-30, 0W-40, 5W-50.

And event the regular synthetics are still to expensive due to our culture has not made them mainstream yet (i use nothing but synthetic or syn-blend).

Here are some examples of our pricing for synthetics:

Mobil 1 5W-30: $12.50 USD/Quart
Castrol EDGE 5W-30: $12 USD/Quart
Quaker State 5W-30: $10.50 USD/Quart
Valvoline Syn-power 5W-30: $10 USD/Quart

Lately thanks to BITOG i have realized the SynPower is good enough for my application and spend as less as possible, i use it along with a FRAM Ultra.

I used regular Mobil 1 in the past with no noise issues at all.

Is there a Mobil 1 rebate program in Mexico?
That's one thing that helps make M1 very popular in the US, getting $12 back on a 5 quart jug when the rebates are in effect (seems like maybe about 6 months out of a year??).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back