Oil Info Overload 0W-20

Yes, you are. You will probably get bored of the car long before the engine wears out. No manufacturer is perfect but Toyota/Lexus are on average among the longest lasting.
Haha this may be true. I used penn plat on my 2009 nissan altima (bought that brand new) and it got 195k miles before trans caused issued. OCI was 3750 but i probably stretched it to 5k to 6k in most cases. While i mag get bored of a car i dont get bored of no car payment haha. I guess i should just stick with what has worked for me in the past

Mobil 1 formulations have changed, not saying better or worse. TGMO has a strong additive package with a lot of dinuclear moly but I quit using it when found the base oil inferior to GTL base. Now use Pennzoil Ultra Platinum with a strong additive package and GTL. Definately wait for the rebate to stock up.
I did that (stock up on rebstes) with the Penn Platinum i ran in my Altima. What additive package do yoy use with Penn Ultra Platinum? Be curious to hear more on this

So i am in quite a bind here. I have a flaw where I research things to the point where it makes it difficult to conclude on the actual product to purchase (in this case Oil)

Fretting over which oil to use may interfere with your enjoyment of the new Lexus. I apply this axiom and life is simpler.

1704224406651.jpg

todoist

I would recommend 0W-30 as well after the warranty or infant mortality period depending on your comfort level

I will certainly look into this more. I guess my initial thought is why they wouldnt recommend this to begin with but perhaps its my ignorance on oil weights and viscosity kicking in

I dont think I need an HPL (or want to pay for that). I think store bought oils will be sufficient. I used to wait until pennzoil or M1 ran a rebate (usually pennzoil) and stocked up then.
You sir, are far too reasonable with that post.

There is a place for that outstanding HPL product, but Cap'n Penz and Admiral Mobil have you MORE than covered.

See, you aren't really in a bind at all. You just got caught up in the "bitogisteria" but you followed the light back to sanity.

EDIT: I'm kinda in the camp that 30 grade oils are a ticky tick better than 20s. I'm not a thickie, but sometimes thicker really is better. If you get on it and play a little at high revs, go up a grade to 5/30

Last edited:
See i was really confused about the penn plat vs ultra plat. I know the ultra plat isnt dexos but should be better than plat?
Nobody knows why PUP doesn't have the certification. Could be that they just didn't want to pay for the testing and license, or it could be that there's a requirement that it wouldn't meet.

What additive package do yoy use with Penn Ultra Platinum? Be curious to hear more on this
They're referring to the additive package that's already in PUP. It's got a bit more detergent and moly, and some borate ester, which is a detergent and friction modifier. More additive isn't always better, but I'd say the PUP is probably better suited for longer OCIs.

I will certainly look into this more. I guess my initial thought is why they wouldnt recommend this to begin with but perhaps its my ignorance on oil weights and viscosity kicking in
The recommended grade is a trade off between fuel efficiency and high temperature/high load engine protection. Some owners prioritize those things differently than the manufacturer. A thicker grade won't protect any better unless oil temperatures are very high, so for your average driver there is no benefit, but in a racing or towing application, or in a hot climate, a thicker grade of oil might reduce wear.

You sir, are far too reasonable with that post.

There is a place for that outstanding HPL product, but Cap'n Penz and Admiral Mobil have you MORE than covered.

See, you aren't really in a bind at all. You just got caught up in the "bitogisteria" but you followed the light back to sanity.

EDIT: I'm kinda in the camp that 30 grade oils are a ticky tick better than 20s. I'm not a thickie, but sometimes thicker really is better. If you get on it and play a little at high revs, go up a grade to 5/30
Haha this might be it to a T. I am looking for "the best" (within reason) and the decision was really stressing me out. The choices vs happiness chart one poster mentioned really explains it. Sounds like Ill stick to PUP or M1 and call it a day. Its worked in my Nissan and my Honda so it should be good enough here.

Use it all. Grab TGMO if you can get that cheaper or use PZ or M1 during rebate season if that is cheaper. Or do all of the above. Or pick your favorite color bottle and just stick with that forever.

Here is what I have used in the Toyota. I cannot tell the difference between any of it.

TGMO
Valvoline Advanced
Pennzoil Platinum
M1 AFE

I would dump that oil at 5k and run a full synthetic 5w30, pick your choice of brand, any will do! If you want really good oil there are many boutique oils to choose from.

Your owners manual will state that if you drive in a lot of stop and go, dusty roads, or tow with it, you NEED to change the oil every 5k, not 10k. It will also state that higher viscosity may be more suited.

Other than that, it’s a Toyota so you have a good chance of a problem free vehicle with years of enjoyment.

Last edited:
Owners manual just says GF6A. I guess I am overthinking it
Yes you are. A vast amount of information here is personal experience and not based on anything but a anecdotal fallacy. Just use what multi grade oil is recommended in your owners manual and you are good to go.

Nobody knows why PUP doesn't have the certification. Could be that they just didn't want to pay for the testing and license, or it could be that there's a requirement that it wouldn't meet.

They're referring to the additive package that's already in PUP. It's got a bit more detergent and moly, and some borate ester, which is a detergent and friction modifier. More additive isn't always better, but I'd say the PUP is probably better suited for longer OCIs.

The recommended grade is a trade off between fuel efficiency and high temperature/high load engine protection. Some owners prioritize those things differently than the manufacturer. A thicker grade won't protect any better unless oil temperatures are very high, so for your average driver there is no benefit, but in a racing or towing application, or in a hot climate, a thicker grade of oil might reduce wear.
I did find a document under PUP specifications previously stating that it does meet Dexos1 compliancy.Thats good enough for me, I run 5w30 in my newer Chevy’s. Im not a fan of M1. GM tries to push it on new auto customers.

Purchased at Walmart or auto part stores, I always recommend the long distance oils.
Besides what Rogueman entered here ^^^^ regarding extra performance oils, you can be well protected using Quaker State Ultimate (EP) Valvoline EP, Fram EP and even Supertech 20k Advanced (EP).

If you ever get the itch and want to spend more on boutique oils, there's Red Line, Liqui-Moly, Ravenol, Amsoil, HPL.

If I were buying for that Toyota at Walmart, I'd get the Mobil-1 EP Triple Action oil. Both of my vehicles think of it as Korean Filet Mignon.

Last edited:
I’d skip the TGMO every single time. It’s loaded with VIIs so that it shears down quickly for a fuel economy benefit. I don’t think anyone can say with 100% certainty, but re: Toyota ring issues, I’m willing to bet that a good part of those gummed up oil control rings are actually plugged with caramelized, sheared-down VII fragments.

Even though I’m a huge PUP fan and have had great success with it, and have moved all my machinery over to HPL, it’s pretty clear to me that M1 EP is the best option of the 20- and 30-grade shelf stock offerings at WM, and the M1 FS 0w40 is king in that class.

Back