Will changing from Mobil 1 5w-30 to XD3 0w-30 kill my mileage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running Mobil 1 5w-30 in my 4.7 Dakota. Really no complaints other than I can get XD3 for a better price. I noticed that the XD3 is a "thick" 30 weight while the Mobil 5W-30 is "light." The mileage on the Dakota is bad enough, I don't need it getting any worse. The truck is driven on short commutes daily (6 miles each way) and the odd weekend highway jaunt. It sees 2 oil changes per year on 5000 OCI's. Winter here is cold (can go below -30), but it lives in a garage most of the time.

Also it seems like Mobil1 5w-30 is NOT the oil of choice around here. Am I missing something?

The XD3 0W-30 is a 12.1. So the difference between an 1n 11.3 and a 12.1 is negligible?

Given the choices I'd go with the XD3. Either way, you shouldn't notice any fuel consumption difference. If it makes a significant difference you can then take that into consideration.

I use XD3 0w30 in 8 different vehicles and there was no change in fuel economy from the previous runs of Mobil 1 5w30, Amsoil 0w30 and dino 5w30. My OCI's range from 15,000-40,000km depending on the type of driving and whether or not a bypass filter is used. So you could definitely do 1 oil change per year if you're comfortable with it.

Mobil-1 5w-30 being called lightweight is a myth. Recent analyses over on the Virgin board show the viscosity averages near 12. I doubt you'll see any noticeable mileage differences between Mobil & Esso.

quote:

Originally posted by Triple_Se7en:
Mobil-1 5w-30 being called lightweight is a myth. Recent analyses over on the Virgin board show the viscosity averages near 12. I doubt you'll see any noticeable mileage differences between Mobil & Esso.

Stinky Peterson said his last VOA had an error, and the Mobil 1 5W-30 was averaging about 11.3 cSt, which is close to Mobil's new PDS.

Thanks for the info olympic, how could someone from Saskatchewan be wrong? I am headed to the Esso bulk dealer to go pick up some Mobil 0W-40 for the VW ($7/L) and I will grab a case of 0W-30 XD-3 for the Dakota. When the VW's warranty is over (VW specifies a VW 502 rated oil) I will switch it over to XD 0W-40.

Good Day

Switched my Ram 5.2L over to Xd-3 synthetic several months ago and no noticeable difference over Penzoil 5w-30 Xd-3 15-40 and Xd-3 10w-30. For the price I can cant justify the mobil 1 at double the cost. It seems unanimous, XD-3 is THE synth oil to use based on(cost/performance,availability) for us Canucks.

bobo, from Esso/Imperial Oil bulk lubricant dealers. XD-3 full synth only comes in 0W30 and 0W40. XD-3 dino comes in 5W-30, 10W30, 15W40, 20W20, SAE 30, SAE 40, 10W and 20W, among other viscosities.

Also can be sourced under the "Presidents Choice" brand name wherever you purchase "President's Choice" products.

The 0W30 grade clearly is superior to the 5W30 grade; you shouldn't have any issues whatsoever running the 0W30 instead of 5W30.

How would the Esso XD-3 dino oil in a 5W30 stack up against Castrol GTX 5W30? I haven't switched to synthetic. I have 59,000 mostly highway miles on a 1995 Nissan Maxima, 5-speed manual, with the 3.0 24-valve DOHC engine.

quote:

Originally posted by bobo:
Where can you buy Esso XD-3 in Canada? Does it come in 5W-30?

Check out this thread. There's a spot in Cloverdale:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=008386#000038

Here's the PDF info re XD-3:

http://www.imperialoil.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

If/when I start to use synthetic, XD-3 is what I will get.

For now, I just picked up 8L of the President's choice 15W40, which is rebadged XD-3 15/40 (not synthetic)

Thanks, I'll check to see if there are any Esso bulk dealerships other than Cloverdale that carry the XD-3. I will also check Wal Mart and Canadian Tire on the oft chance that they stock it.

They don't stock the XD-3 in Cloverdale. I just ordered some from the Burnaby location.

M.R. Smith
3100 Underhill
Burnaby, BD
(604) 420-4331

If you were doing mostly highway driveing then I would say no you will not see any difference. Seeing how you are doing such short trip driveing only 8 miles I will guess that you will see a slight reduction in milage but not enough to worry about!

What type of milage aree you getting from your Dakota? I had a 2001 Dakota Quad Cab 4x4 with the 4.7L V8 and got 22-24MPG on the Hwy and about 15-17MPG around town. I used M1 10W30 dureing the winter and 15W50 dureing the summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back