Who says Corvettes are gas guzzlers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Nick1994
About the same as my Camry! That's pretty good. Maybe try it in 4 cylinder mode once, to see what it'll get? I doubt one trip will cause damage. A lifetime of 4 cylinder mode enabled might.

I have tried out 4 cylinder mode a few times on the highway, on a 60 mile round trip I tried it in one direction in V8 mode and in the opposite direction in V4 mode and it was about 5% better.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Another factor that helps is that it's only knee-high.

And mine is lowered by one inch over the stock ride height too.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
But you're not having any fun at those MPG numbers.
lol.gif

Yeah ... I think the lowest 'Instantaneous MPG' readout I saw on my Z06 was around 4.2 MPG.
grin2.gif

It is amazing how good of gas mileage the Vettes do get, mostly due to super low end torque at low RPM, tall gearing in high gear, and of course excellent aerodynamics.

Originally Posted By: Patman
About the same as my Camry! That's pretty good. Maybe try it in 4 cylinder mode once, to see what it'll get? I doubt one trip will cause damage. A lifetime of 4 cylinder mode enabled might.

I have tried out 4 cylinder mode a few times on the highway, on a 60 mile round trip I tried it in one direction in V8 mode and in the opposite direction in V4 mode and it was about 5% better.

So the 4 cyl mode is switchable? Can you force v4 mode, like u dear all conditions including "high acceleration"?

Pretty neat tech, IMO. I want a four seat corvette!

I just got back from the Corvette owners school in Nevada. The cars I was in had a lifetime average of 8-9 mpg with track time being the bulk of their existence. I was averaging 7.9 mpg in the car I had for the second day. My personal 2017 Grand Sport is usually around 16-20 with short trips but has seen mid 30s on the highway.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: Patman

So the 4 cyl mode is switchable? Can you force v4 mode, like u dear all conditions including "high acceleration"?

Pretty neat tech, IMO. I want a four seat corvette!

IIRC its more you can disable it.. you cant force it to be engaged.

so you can either set it to "automatic" where it goes on or off according to parameters...or set it to off.

A 39 mile run is not an accurate amount of miles to determine to MPG but encouraging none the less. My 2017 Fusion at times shows 45-50 MPG for a one time short run, but steadily drops to the realistic MPG over a much longer trip. I just got back from Florida and got 37+ going down and 34+ coming home in a strong head wind. All this much improved MPG is thanks to CAFE.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

You can't force it to stay in 4 cylinder mode under all conditions, as it would never be in 4 cylinder mode at full throttle. Even when you just give it a tiny bit of throttle it quickly switches back to V8 mode. It's really meant for steady light throttle conditions. With automatic Corvettes it can automatically go into V4 mode in any of the drive modes, with the exception of when you're using the paddle shifters (or if you use paddle shifters but switch to "eco mode") With manual transmission cars, the only time it will go into V4 mode would be if the drive mode is set to eco.

Originally Posted By: tig1
A 39 mile run is not an accurate amount of miles to determine to MPG but encouraging none the less. My 2017 Fusion at times shows 45-50 MPG for a one time short run, but steadily drops to the realistic MPG over a much longer trip. I just got back from Florida and got 37+ going down and 34+ coming home in a strong head wind. All this much improved MPG is thanks to CAFE.

I probably won't be averaging that kind of MPG on my trips to and from Florida in the future but I do think I should be able to average over 30. Someone just recently did a 4000 mile trip with their C7 and averaged exactly 30.0 MPG.

Originally Posted By: 2015_PSD
My 1996 LT4 with a ZF6 managed 32.2MPG from Houston to Nashville (both ways so not a fluke). The hard part is keeping your foot out of it.
laugh.gif

I get about the same with my '94 LT1. When driven more like a Corvette I can still get a solid 20mpg combined. I love the C4!

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
Will it stay in 4 cyl. mode in traffic? I wish we could get that ethanol free gas here in PA.

Where in PA are you? There is a place in York where they have 93 octane ethanol-free gasoline.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Corvettes run a very low rpm coupled with being light weight, so this equates to a minimal fuel burn even on a big engine. If I remember right a corvette runs at like 1400rpm doing 70

They also have exceptional frontal cd numbers as well, which helps.
smile.gif

These cars are STILL WAY TOO under-rated by most, and somewhat hated on by many merely for being made by a certain manufacturer (which has a very derogatory 'nickname' on here to prove my point).
wink.gif

As far as cost per performance (ALL performance that is), NOTHING even comes close.

I remember some C5 Z06 people were able to run a low 11 second to high 10 second quarter mile (with some mild mods and proper wheel/tire setups), and then just by adjusting the suspensions a little, adding back on the front sway bar, and putting the correct wheel/tire setup back on, all but lap some very much more CO$TLY Euro machinery out on the road course.
thumbsup2.gif

The latter gen y bodies, including the C7 which Patman drives are the above, ON STEROIDS!!
crazy2.gif
19.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Corvettes run a very low rpm coupled with being light weight, so this equates to a minimal fuel burn even on a big engine. If I remember right a corvette runs at like 1400rpm doing 70

They also have exceptional frontal cd numbers as well, which helps.
smile.gif

These cars are STILL WAY TOO under-rated by most, and somewhat hated on by many merely for being made by a certain manufacturer (which has a very derogatory 'nickname' on here to prove my point).
wink.gif

As far as cost per performance (ALL performance that is), NOTHING even comes close.

I remember some C5 Z06 people were able to run a low 11 second to high 10 second quarter mile (with some mild mods and proper wheel/tire setups), and then just by adjusting the suspensions a little, adding back on the front sway bar, and putting the correct wheel/tire setup back on, all but lap some very much more CO$TLY Euro machinery out on the road course.
thumbsup2.gif

The latter gen y bodies, including the C7 which Patman drives are the above, ON STEROIDS!!
crazy2.gif
19.gif

The new ZR-1 will be a monster with minor bolt-ons and a tune.

Originally Posted By: Silverado12
Originally Posted By: 02SE
I don't even get 39 mpg on my Motorcycles..

I was thinking the same thing LOL. My hog gets 40ish.

The kid that sits beside me at work has a Ninja 300 and he gets over 70 MPG with it (but it only makes about 38 hp and only has a top speed of about 110mph)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back