What's the deal with Unleaded 88?

I've noticed this grade of gas at Sheetz here in PA. As some may know, PA is heavily taxed for gas and prices are on the rise again. Regular 87 is $3.30 or so but Sheetz has this Unl88 for $1.99 ($1.94 if you use sheetz card). Apparently it's just normal gas but 15% ethanol vs the normal 10%. For the price I may just give it a go. What say you guys?
1700488746165.jpg

I'd stay far away from E15 gas with the two vehicles in your signature. Both the 2013 Mazda 3 and 2005 Odyssey are approved to use ethanol blended fuel as long as the alcohol content doesn't exceed 10%. It's your risk to take, but I don't trust that all of those fuel lines and rubber seals are formulated to resist higher concentrations of ethanol.

Royal Farms around us offer an 88 octane. It's just E15 as well.

I remember using it in an old Focus. Nothing bad happened, but I didn't run it for an extended period of time. It shouldn't be any worse than E10, maybe a tiny reduction in fuel economy.

Expect it to be about $0.10/gallon less usually.

For me, $2.30/gallon savings would be pretty huge (24 gallons in the truck and 5-10 gallons in the van per week).

I use it all the time in my ford fleet which is all E85 approved except the 99 and 00 crown vic. They also run fine.

The 99 and 00 do NOT start good on E85 when sheetz had it for $0.99 per gal. You have to crank it a lot and it can hardly run in cold weather till the engine warms up a bit.

Where it is available, it is 10 cents/gal cheaper that unleaded here. It's E-15 and says so right on the pump. I run it all the time in my 2000 Blazer and 1998 Honda Civic. They don't know the difference.

Sometime ago I had used it in my Mazda 6. Reduced fuel mileage (I don’t remember how much). I did some rough calculations and figured it needed to be $0.40 cheaper than regular to make it worth the fuel mileage reduction. I’m in MD so if I need to fuel up during this promo, I might, but the savings on the 1 tank for gas I’ll possibly need during the promo aren’t going to make me go out of the way to get to a sheetz

Sometime ago I had used it in my Mazda 6. Reduced fuel mileage (I don’t remember how much). I did some rough calculations and figured it needed to be $0.40 cheaper than regular to make it worth the fuel mileage reduction. I’m in MD so if I need to fuel up during this promo, I might, but the savings on the 1 tank for gas I’ll possibly need during the promo aren’t going to make me go out of the way to get to a sheetz
Your Mazda owner’s manual doesn’t prohibit the use of this fuel?

The car was made before this U88 became a "thing" I'd assume.
Edit: Oh sorry, not my Mazda but t1snwrbrdr12's
It is not "U88" - it is E15. You refer to the type of fuel by the ethanol blend rate, not the octane.

Read your owner's manual. Six of my cars prohibit the use of any gasoline containing "more than 10% ethanol" - which prohibits the use of this fuel. My truck is flex fuel, and can use this without worry.

The car was made before this U88 became a "thing" I'd assume.
Edit: Oh sorry, not my Mazda but t1snwrbrdr12's
The reason I asked is because my son-in-law's 2023 Mazda does not permit the use of E15 or greater, only E10. It caught our attention because the disclaimer on the pump doesn't point out that not all manufacturers permit E15.

Your Mazda owner’s manual doesn’t prohibit the use of this fuel?
Didn’t check to be honest. I never run it down to empty, so between whatever was in the tank plus the partial tank of 88 I ran, I didn’t experience any problems. Figured a potential 5% more E wouldn’t be hurting anything, that the computer could compensate best fine. Guess I should check before I do it again, although I probably won’t. I prefer to just run Costco gas.

We have lots of E88 in eastern Iowa. It’s E15 fuel. We use it in our 2014 Chrysler GC and the 2005 Jeep GC. My son uses it in his 2023 Ram 1500 with a Hemi as well.

To date with thousands of miles of use no issues. I have a hard time believing if a vehicle was designed for E10 that it can’t handle E15…

Mileage might suffer some and I tend to use E10 if on a highway trip but usually around town the price is attractive compared to the mileage impact.

Just my $0.02

No, you've got the numbers inverted. E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% fuel while this Sheetz 88 is 15% ethanol and 85% fuel. E85 is "flex fuel" and you can't mix them up.
No, you misunderstood what I said. a FlexFuel vehicle can handle gasoline/ethanol mixes up to 85% ethanol. So, it can easily handle E15 with 15% ethanol. However, I am not so confident that other vehicles, especially older vehicles, can handle E15 without parts of the fuel system being damaged. Therefore, to be safe, I would only use E15 in FlexFuel vehicles.

Back