3-cylinder fuel economy in extreme cold

First winter with my 2023 Nissan Rogue with the 1.5 variable compression turbo engine. Noticed that there is a significant decrease in fuel economy below -20c (-4f). Driving on the highway with CC set at 60mph and I'm getting between 10-12 l/100km, which is around 20 mpg. This is getting close to my F150 with the 5.0. I find it surprising that a little engine can be this thirsty. I'm assuming nothing is wrong with the car because once outside is warmer the fuel economy returns to normal.

On a side note, morning cold start has been easy! One less cylinder to crank lol. The small resister heater has also been helping with heating the cabin tremendously.

Picture for reference.

1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Colder weather will consume more fuel. Over the years I've noticed I get the best economy in the spring/fall weather. Not too hot, not too cold.

The air is denser, plus the winter fuel (more ethanol). In the past vehicles I've owned, I only noticed a small increase of 1~2 l/100km.

This is also my first turbocharged vehicle. I wonder if it's because the turbo pumping in already dense air, thus requiring more fuel?

Could be the engine struggling to get completely warm, ab having to run a richer mixture (a sort of 'choke'). Your post of a heating resistor having to be used for heat is what makes me think this.

The air is denser, plus the winter fuel (more ethanol). In the past vehicles I've owned, I only noticed a small increase of 1~2 l/100km.

This is also my first turbocharged vehicle. I wonder if it's because the turbo pumping in already dense air, thus requiring more fuel?
The turbo is not the reason it needs more fuel. You should see a decrease in fuel consumption in warmer weather.

There is a certain amount of fuel required to drag a vehicle around. With snow on the road, cold tires, cold lubricants, cold bearings, etc it takes more fuel to do that in the winter.

A small 3 cylinder is working. A large V8 would use more fuel but not as much as you might think. I think that's what you're seeing.

I don't get too concerned about fuel economy in the cold.

First winter with my 2023 Nissan Rogue with the 1.5 variable compression turbo engine. Noticed that there is a significant decrease in fuel economy below -20c (-4f). Driving on the highway with CC set at 60mph and I'm getting between 10-12 l/100km, which is around 20 mpg. This is getting close to my F150 with the 5.0. I find it surprising that a little engine can be this thirsty. I'm assuming nothing is wrong with the car because once outside is warmer the fuel economy returns to normal.
Very common, especially in cold weather.

Growing up, my family always had 4 cyl Volvo wagons. Some with auto, most stick.
Regardless, anytime of year that little naturally aspirated 4 was always roaring away, struggling to accelerate.
As a result, fuel consumption was always mediocre at best.

Over on the Volvo forums, the latest non-EV SPA vehicles are all equipped with a 4 cyl engine.
Owners are always disappointed at the consumption, appaled they consume as much as larger displacement engines.
Adding insult to injury, they also require premium fuel.

Last edited:

On a side note, morning cold start has been easy! One less cylinder to crank lol. The small resister heater has also been helping with heating the cabin tremendously.

Picture for reference.

View attachment 198720

I would think an F150 would barely get 20mpg under Ideal conditions never mind -4F.

About the resistor heater, does your Nissan have resistance heaters built into the HVAC system to give instant heat? Or are you plugging a small appliance into the outlet / cigarette lighter?

I would think an F150 would barely get 20mpg under Ideal conditions never mind -4F.
NA V8 engines with fuel injection can give surprisingly good fuel economy. My friend's Silverado has done 25+ MPG in mixed driving... of course this was summertime with "cold" starts around 75F.

Does a 3-cylinder not produce enough surplus heat to heat the cabin up?
Probably not. On the other hand, 2GR-FE in the Toyota SIenna I had was probably the worst winter vehicle I ever had. It would take forever to get heat. It was so bad that I installed a block heater regardless of whether the vehicle was garaged. So, 1. The size of an engine or fuel (diesels are bad) will be important, and 2. depends on how the engine is engineered. Again, V6 in pretty hefty Sienna was absolutely abysmal.

I would say fill the tank and calculate the next tank the old school way, rather than relying on the dash reading.
Good point, however the dash mpg displays are usually on the liberal side of things, therefore the hand calculated mpg is usually worse than what's indicated.

Maybe this thing is running in open loop because it cannot warm up? It would be interesting to see the long term fuel trims on it.

The other question is "Are you letting it sit and warm up before driving?" You could use a lot of fuel that way.

When I lived in a cold place (Saskatoon, Edmonton and Winnipeg) I mostly kept my cars in a garage. In the winter when I wanted to drive I started the car, put on my seat belt, backed out and drove. Some people believe in letting their car get toasty warm before driving. I don't.

At one point I didn't have a garage. On very cold starts I pushed in the clutch and let it out slowly after 30 seconds or so. You could hear the engine strain a bit as the clutch was released. As soon as the car was running smoothly, I would scrape the windows and drive away as soon as I could see out the windshield.

This is also an issue with Honda CRV and the 1.5t engines, they are already cool running and in cold weather (in the 20's or below) if you call for heat, you can watch the temperature gauge drop. They have variable shutters on the radiator, but heating the fairly large cabin in really cold weather with that small engine is a struggle unless you're doing over 60 on the highway.

Probably not. On the other hand, 2GR-FE in the Toyota SIenna I had was probably the worst winter vehicle I ever had. It would take forever to get heat. It was so bad that I installed a block heater regardless of whether the vehicle was garaged. So, 1. The size of an engine or fuel (diesels are bad) will be important, and 2. depends on how the engine is engineered. Again, V6 in pretty hefty Sienna was absolutely abysmal.
The sienna has a massive interior volume to heat. 100 cubic feet behind the front two seats just takes time to heat up.

Back