3-cylinder fuel economy in extreme cold

I can't imagine a 3 cylinder engine in a car being very good for anything, especially in the cold when efficiency is expected to drop. The engine is under powered to begin with.
|
IMG_6246.jpeg

I have a remote on the VW Atlas, but the heating is so efficient, and the engine warms up so fast that I rarely use it. I hate idling vehicles.
But you cannot always rely on remote start. We had one freeze episode at Denver airport after arriving, at that point I knew Sienna was going to have a short stay in our family.
Your Atlas must have auxiliary electric elements, many German makes use them. No engine alone will produce any appreciable in the cabin heat, in negative temps within 2-3 minutes of operation.
My in-laws 2000 VW Jetta TDI also had them. It produced cabin heat extremely fast and we all know that it couldn't have been possibly from that diesel engine.

I'm actually surprised more makers don't use electric heat elements. It not only provides cabin heat faster, it warms up the coolant and the engine much faster because the heat doesn't need to be pulled away by the heater core.

Your Atlas must have auxiliary electric elements, many German makes use them. No engine alone will produce any appreciable in the cabin heat, in negative temps within 2-3 minutes of operation.
My in-laws 2000 VW Jetta TDI also had them. It produced cabin heat extremely fast and we all know that it couldn't have been possibly from that diesel engine.

I'm actually surprised more makers don't use electric heat elements. It not only provides cabin heat faster, it warms up the coolant and the engine much faster because the heat doesn't need to be pulled away by the heater core.
Nah, it doesn’t. Tiguan is even better, and definitely doesn’t have anything like it.
BMW X5 diesel I owned had electric heater, and it would blow 30sec after start really hit air.
TDI is different. Diesel needs long time, so they mitigate that usually with Webasto type heaters. EA888 in Atlas and Tiguan don’t need that whatsoever.

I haven't owned a caravan, but have heard they do have great heat/ac systems. The CX5 in my sig has an all aluminum 2.0 with direct injection that is very efficient, which also makes it crappy warming up at -30C. It takes forever and even idling at an intersection, you can feel the temperature of the HVAC air drop. It is using very little fuel at idle and that is just enough to keep the cylinders moving, not creating any heat.

Edyvw's Toyota probably didn't have exhaust manifolds in the head, it probably didn't have the engine covered with foam padding (something bmw does) and it possibly didn't have the heater core routed right after the head.

Drove my 2015 2grfe Sienna to the office today taking the long route to monitor my new Scangauge. Total trip about 32 minutes.

Ambient Temperature = 23F
Intake Temp = 24F during trip (didn't expect that, thought it would be preheated at this ambient temperature)
Coolant at start = 45F (parked in garage)
Coolant at 4 minutes = 130F (Heater fan started at this point)
Coolant at 11 minutes = 175F, never went much above this, if it did it tended to come back to 175F. Noticed when I dropped the heater temp from 74 to 69 this went up to 181F.

ATF also at 45F at start, never went above 121F while cruising on highway. It takes a long while for the ATF temperature to rise.

Toyota didn't have a motor oil sensor in this model engine, unfortunately.

As another data point, our 2019 Rav4 Hybrid gets 36 mpg in mixed summer driving. When I put the studded winter tires on and get into the cold weather, it is a consistent 31 mpg, about a 14% loss in fuel economy.
It's not the quickest to warm up, the heated wheel and seats definitely help.

Edyvw's Toyota probably didn't have exhaust manifolds in the head, it probably didn't have the engine covered with foam padding (something bmw does) and it possibly didn't have the heater core routed right after the head.
Toyota does come with foam.
However, right on other points. Also, doesn’t have any insulation/protection from below engine. It loses heat super fast after turning off.

Drove my 2015 2grfe Sienna to the office today taking the long route to monitor my new Scangauge. Total trip about 32 minutes.

Ambient Temperature = 23F
Intake Temp = 24F during trip (didn't expect that, thought it would be preheated at this ambient temperature)
Coolant at start = 45F (parked in garage)
Coolant at 4 minutes = 130F (Heater fan started at this point)
Coolant at 11 minutes = 175F, never went much above this, if it did it tended to come back to 175F. Noticed when I dropped the heater temp from 74 to 69 this went up to 181F.

ATF also at 45F at start, never went above 121F while cruising on highway. It takes a long while for the ATF temperature to rise.

Toyota didn't have a motor oil sensor in this model engine, unfortunately.
Not sure where data from oil temperature is coming, but my Sienna was giving oil temperature to small OBD I had installed.
Oil temperature once warmed up in regular driving was 220-225.
Coolant, pretty much like yours.

Toyota does come with foam.
However, right on other points. Also, doesn’t have any insulation/protection from below engine. It loses heat super fast after turning off.
I mean the sides and bottom of the engine are insulated too. Bmw seems to cover their engines in foam and weird carpet stuff, and then seal off the engine bay with a gasket around the hood and a belly pan that doesn't have big gaps around the edges.

I mean the sides and bottom of the engine are insulated too. Bmw seems to cover their engines in foam and weird carpet stuff, and then seal off the engine bay with a gasket around the hood and a belly pan that doesn't have big gaps around the edges.
It does. My BMW doesn’t have foam cover on the engine or hood. Toyota had foam on engine cover and no foam on hood.
BMW I6, bcs. it is pushed so far back to have better weight distribution, has 6th cylinder under windshield.
Those things help. It is all about details. Some manufacturers pay attention to things like that.

Not sure where data from oil temperature is coming, but my Sienna was giving oil temperature to small OBD I had installed.
Oil temperature once warmed up in regular driving was 220-225.
Coolant, pretty much like yours.
My understanding is the oil temperature sensor was installed 2016 and later. Mine is a 2015.

My prius has a coolant loop around the catalytic converter. It heats up nice & fast. ;)

It may not be primarily for the occupants, rather cold start emissions & economy, but the occupants benefit.

Just be happy you're not driving an ev.

Not so much.

A Model 3 does better than this does and can actually heat the cabin.

Model 3 long range loses 24% (according to recurrent) , and this thing goes from 37 to 25.8 or 30.2% decrease.

Our 1993 240 wagon with its 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine (114 hp, 136 lbs torque) will roast everyone on board at 0 degrees. 190 degree thermostat.

Not sure why Nissen can’t figure this out. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back