Who makes a fluid for 8 speed Ram 1500?

Dealership wanted $40/quart for Mopar … so I bought genuine ZF fluid for $22/quart which is still a rip for Grp3
I remembered what they charged for M1 0w-40 when it was the SRT spec. Dealer cost was like $12.48/L and I could get it at Canadian Tire on sale for MUCH less than that.

Fair enough guys, I wasn't trying to change the world... just offer people a potentially cheaper alternative... like I said if its not something you believe in or trust then don't do it.

I remembered what they charged for M1 0w-40 when it was the SRT spec. Dealer cost was like $12.48/L and I could get it at Canadian Tire on sale for MUCH less than that.
No wonder folks are taking their chances with MaxLife … which is so close to Dexron odds are somebody has tried that. Dexron HP is a fine ATF for way less money … again, IMO ZF/Mopar is a big rip I’ll probably live with …

No wonder folks are taking their chances with MaxLife … which is so close to Dexron odds are somebody has tried that. Dexron HP is a fine ATF for way less money … again, IMO ZF/Mopar is a big rip I’ll probably live with …

Yep, when the truck is due, I'll have it done with OE fluid and OE filter. Spend that much on a vehicle, pretty easy to justify spending that much on the right fluid and OE quality parts.

Well as I mentioned above several people (myself included) have sent samples of both lifegaurd 8 and valvoline maxlife to actual testing labs (Blackstone in my case) for non biased number based testing.
Blackstone tests for elemental composition of the oil, this will tell you nothing about the compounds used to formulate the oil. If you don't know the chemical compounds, you know virtually nothing about the additives in the oil. Said another way, comparing the elemental composition of two different oils tells you zero about what specs they meet and how they do that. They may have similar elements at a similar concentration, but perform much differently because they are additized with different compounds

My point is that you can't tell squat about the capabilities of an ATF by its elemental composition.

Yep, when the truck is due, I'll have it done with OE fluid and OE filter. Spend that much on a vehicle, pretty easy to justify spending that much on the right fluid and OE quality parts.
In reality any decent engineering group that wants to play the lifetime fluid game should have put a magnetic+media filter in the cooler line (wonder if there’s a good wheel on my cutter 👀)

Fair enough guys, I wasn't trying to change the world... just offer people a potentially cheaper alternative... like I said if its not something you believe in or trust then don't do it.

No problem, nobody is trying to be hostile, and I hope we aren't coming across that way, there's just lots of detail here that I'm sure you'll benefit from having it shared with you.

1608595404975.png

Reactions: 4WD
If you truly believe that valvoline, amsoil, motul, red line, pentosin, and the host of other established reputable companies would all put out a fluid without doing there own research/testing then ok. And if you truly believe ZF engineers actually took the time to test the fluids in there transmissions (and just happen to never release any data/findings) to see whether they are acceptable then ok. Im not saying ZF is intentionally misleading you... im saying they're (for obvious reasons) going to be biased toward there own product. Given that plus the hundreds of testimonials from owners actual using these other products for thousands of miles and thats good enough for me... and obviously hundreds of others... if its not enough for you the ok... no big deal

Reactions: JTK
I sure don’t question the quality of these fluids … but that must be diamond dust friction modifier to sell a Grp3 based ATF for what they cost

Reactions: JTK
Given that plus the hundreds of testimonials from owners actual using these other products for thousands of miles and thats good enough for me... and obviously hundreds of others... if its not enough for you the ok... no big deal
I use Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic ATF in both of my ZF-8s, instead of paying $30/quart for a ZF approved fluid. The Maxlife PDS says it is "Recommended for the following application" which includes ZF Lifeguard 8 fluid. I'm ok with using a "recommended for" fluid instead of a "licensed for" fluid.

If you follow Ram forums, you'll find more and more threads now of Ram dealers servicing ZF8s with aftermarket fluids. One of the more recent ones I've read of being BG fluid and it still cost the guy big chunk of change for the pan/fluid replacement.

At the end of the day, Maxlife ATF is "suitable for use" in ZF8 applications per Valvoline. Take that as you will. If you feel better with OEM, go OEM.

There's countless guys out there now that have Maxlife ATF in their Ram's ZF8 w/out issue, along with aftermarket pan kits if you follow this specific topic.

I'm no valvoline Maxlife fan boy, but you gotta hand it to them. It's readily available, it's extremely cost effective, it's a synthetic fluid that just plain works in a ton of applications.

For you guys that say it won't or it doesn't work in ZF8s, where are all the failure stories and warnings?

Not sure where you get your information but lifegaurd 8 fluid is absolutely made by ZF... the actual name of the fluid is ZF LIFEGUARD 8. The data sheet for the fluid clearly shows this... as does the patent. And why on earth would they "not make money" selling it? Companies don't sell anything (whether they produce it or just sell it) for free. There'd be no point at all in being involved with a 0 profit product.
ZF has fluid blending facility? WOW.

Thats where I am. You got some big name players like Valvoline and petrocanada saying there fluid is compatible. For me, thats good enough.

Shell makes the current ZF Lifeguard 6/8/9, while XOM makes Lifeguard 5(Esso LT71141). I think Lifeguard 6/Mercon SP is Shell ATF M1375.4. There’s another Shell number for Lifeguard 8/9.

still, I’m not sold on MaxLife on anything that doesn’t have a bow tie, blue oval, 3 ellipses/circle-L, 6 stars, or a circle-H/KIA on the grille.

ZF has fluid blending facility? WOW.
Lol..so i guess when a company formulates a fluid, tests it, fine tunes its specifications, and gets the patent on it.. it becomes not there product when they hire an outside facility to actually make it. If thats the case I guess every companies product made in China isn't actually that companies product
Shell makes the current ZF Lifeguard 6/8/9, while XOM makes Lifeguard 5(Esso LT71141). I think Lifeguard 6/Mercon SP is Shell ATF M1375.4. There’s another Shell number for Lifeguard 8/9.

still, I’m not sold on MaxLife on anything that doesn’t have a bow tie, blue oval, 3 ellipses/circle-L, 6 stars, or a circle-H/KIA on the grille.
The shell product is called... m- L 12108 and its produced specifically for AUDI.

Not sure where you get your information but lifegaurd 8 fluid is absolutely made by ZF... the actual name of the fluid is ZF LIFEGUARD 8. The data sheet for the fluid clearly shows this... as does the patent. And why on earth would they "not make money" selling it? Companies don't sell anything (whether they produce it or just sell it) for free. There'd be no point at all in being involved with a 0 profit product.

ZFPDF said:
ZF LifeguardFluid 8 has been specially developed for usage in 8HP automatic passenger car transmissions from ZF. The friction behavior has been optimally adapted for this transmission and is consistent over the entire service life. These features are a prerequisite for perfect shifting characteristics and vibration-free operation. ZF LifeguardFluid 8 thus fulfills the most demanding requirements on the transmission's comfort behavior. The additives, which are customized to the individual components, also provide specialized protection and thus increase the service life of all transmission components. The optimized viscosity builds the foundation for maximized savings in fuel. The high-quality semi-synthetic base oil ensures that high thermal-oxidative stability is maintained throughout the transmission's entire service life. This product has a flat viscosity-temperature curve and is therefore perfectly suited for use in extremely cold or hot climates.

The language states it was "developed" for 8HP and some other transmission types. It says nothing about ZF blending their own fluids.

For example, GM works with Afton chemical company to develop formulations and DI additive packages for GM's ATF's and then PetroCanada gets the first crack at being the primary Blending facility.

Once the specifications are let then others can blend the ATF and or develop DI packages. To get on GM's approval list for the specific fluid, the Blenders have to have the fluid tested according to GM's testing protocols.

That is how things are done in this industry.

Last edited:
Back