Who makes a fluid for 8 speed Ram 1500?

I’m not a fan of MaxLifing all the things. Especially European gearboxes. ZFs aren’t exactly cheap to rebuild or source a reman either.

Not related, I used MaxLife in a Frontier, owner didn’t like the shift feel - back to Matic-S it went.
In runs pretty good in my Aisin 8 speed but I suspect it is a little lazier than it would be with WS.

How do you know it did not costed you thousands?
Well for me I did alot of research and after finding dozens of reports from guys who switched to maxlife, and watching some videos showing oil testing lab results. I'm comfortable given many of the reports/reviews have 100,000 km's on maxlife while doing daily towing. But when I first started looking into it ill admit I had my trepidations.

Well for me I did alot of research and after finding dozens of reports from guys who switched to maxlife, and watching some videos showing oil testing lab results. I'm comfortable given many of the reports/reviews have 100,000 km's on maxlife while doing daily towing. But when I first started looking into it ill admit I had my trepidations.
Lab testing? So it does have ZF approval? That is news for me.
Maxlife is very common among BMW users in ZF6. But in ZF8 it is still sporadic.
Now, I will never understand why would anyone try to save few bucks on any vehicle. First of all, ZF (as all other transmission manufacturers) say no flush, so you are draining, what? max 10 liters (and I am taking highest amount here) which is $270. So, you are trying to save $250 on fluid you change every 60k because? It is worth transmission?
By the way, Maxlife is not as same quality as ZF8. There is a reason why ZF8 is expensive.

So if you watch section 2 fluids of the following video he explains/covers most of what your asking. I've never seen ZF say "don't flush" but it's a mute point on the zf 8 speed because you can't flush it due to the presence of a "thermostatic bypass valve in the cooling lines. The method I chose (also from the video) is not a flush machine but rather an exchange machine. It has several advantages while avoiding a traditional flush (which many people do think could be harmful). The fact that ZF fluid is expensive doesn't mean anything.. BMW sells there fluid for $90 per quart... does that mean its better? Well no because it is lifegaurd fluid... just sold by BMW. Check out the fluid section on the video its got alot of info... also he gives a description of the "exchange machine" and shows why you can't do a "flush" in the service options section.

Lab testing? So it does have ZF approval? That is news for me.
Maxlife is very common among BMW users in ZF6. But in ZF8 it is still sporadic.
Now, I will never understand why would anyone try to save few bucks on any vehicle. First of all, ZF (as all other transmission manufacturers) say no flush, so you are draining, what? max 10 liters (and I am taking highest amount here) which is $270. So, you are trying to save $250 on fluid you change every 60k because? It is worth transmission?
By the way, Maxlife is not as same quality as ZF8. There is a reason why ZF8 is expensive.
The lab testing i was referring to is Blackstone lab results... so no not saying ZF has approved maxlife. But remember ZF makes there own fluid so of course there not going to be eager to approve a competitors product.

I have not tried this myself, but I was looking at ordering the "kit" from FCP euro for our 2014 V6 Grand Cherokee. It's meant for a BMW but the fluid and filter should be the same from my brief research.

The lab testing i was referring to is Blackstone lab results... so no not saying ZF has approved maxlife. But remember ZF makes there own fluid so of course there not going to be eager to approve a competitors product.
Blackstone? WHat that has to do with the approval process? That is on par asking Dr. Phil is it compatible with ZF. And no, ZF does not make their own fluid. ZF has supplier, many throughout the history. It is in ZF and vehicle manufacturer interest to approve fluids as it makes ownership much better experience. ZF does not make money by selling fluid.
One size fits all fluids are usually not approved as they want to sit with one butt on 10 chairs.
But, I still cannot understand calculation of saving $250 for 60k change interval.

I have not tried this myself, but I was looking at ordering the "kit" from FCP euro for our 2014 V6 Grand Cherokee. It's meant for a BMW but the fluid and filter should be the same from my brief research.
Your filter is built into your pan... I recently learned about an aftermarket pan available for $30...which was amazing as it was way more before... I posted a thread about it called $30 zf pan... it includes the link to check out the pan.

Your filter is built into your pan... I recently learned about an aftermarket pan available for $30...which was amazing as it was way more before... I posted a thread about it called $30 zf pan... it includes the link to check out the pan.
ZF pan is $100.
If you can find one for $30, you can find one for $15. WHat could go wrong?

Blackstone? WHat that has to do with the approval process? That is on par asking Dr. Phil is it compatible with ZF. And no, ZF does not make their own fluid. ZF has supplier, many throughout the history. It is in ZF and vehicle manufacturer interest to approve fluids as it makes ownership much better experience. ZF does not make money by selling fluid.
One size fits all fluids are usually not approved as they want to sit with one butt on 10 chairs.
But, I still cannot understand calculation of saving $250 for 60k change interval.
Not sure where you get your information but lifegaurd 8 fluid is absolutely made by ZF... the actual name of the fluid is ZF LIFEGUARD 8. The data sheet for the fluid clearly shows this... as does the patent. And why on earth would they "not make money" selling it? Companies don't sell anything (whether they produce it or just sell it) for free. There'd be no point at all in being involved with a 0 profit product.

Attachments

• pds-zf-lifeguardfluid-8-it.pdf
    36 KB · Views: 27
YouTube based research vs. laboratory and field test research - that is, sound technical research- done by qualified engineers? Have you submitted your PF-Style research for peer review?

I though so.
Well as I mentioned above several people (myself included) have sent samples of both lifegaurd 8 and valvoline maxlife to actual testing labs (Blackstone in my case) for non biased number based testing. I don't personally know the qualifications of the staff but given its there business I assume there qualified to run there own testing equipment and give the results. Have you ever seen actual test results from ZF showing other products failing? Or do they release a list of "approved" fluids which like any smart company doesn't promote a competitor's product? I'm absolutely open to looking at any test results/ data showing the other fluids failing

Have you ever seen actual test results from ZF showing other products failing?
Nope, but I've seen their approvals. And that's what matters. Not yours, nor your several people's "non-biased", (and useless) results from BS et. al.
I'm absolutely open to looking at any test results/ data showing the other fluids failing
Good luck with that. But if you're open to looking at the ones that passed, just read the label on the ZF8 container.

And please, stop trolling the board. It's been a very busy first day for you.

Nope, but I've seen their approvals. And that's what matters. Not yours, nor your several people's "non-biased", (and useless) results from BS et. al.

Good luck with that. But if you're open to looking at the ones that passed, just read the label on the ZF8 container.

And please, stop trolling the board. It's been a very busy first day for you.
Lol... they didn't "pass"... there all the same product "lifegaurd 8". My washing machine recommends only a certain soap... doesn't mean others won't work. Anyways everyone is entitled to do what they want... if your not comfortable using a different fluid then don't. Have a good day

Not sure where you get your information but lifegaurd 8 fluid is absolutely made by ZF... the actual name of the fluid is ZF LIFEGUARD 8. The data sheet for the fluid clearly shows this... as does the patent. And why on earth would they "not make money" selling it? Companies don't sell anything (whether they produce it or just sell it) for free. There'd be no point at all in being involved with a 0 profit product.

Edy's point is that ZF isn't an oil manufacturer, so, just like Chrysler doesn't actually produce ATF+4, even their OEM version, ZF won't produce this fluid. It will be blended by somebody else to the spec's ZF has developed, likely while working with that same manufacturer. This is why all the approved ATF+4 formulas look nary identical, because Chrysler required them to be.

A Blackstone VOA or UOA is going to tell you very little beyond elements that can be picked up via spectrographic analysis. Non-metallic compounds won't register nor will base oil composition. This is not a tool designed for, or valid for contrasting formulas in this manner.

Yeah man … and GM makes AC Delco Dexron VI … how cool is that ! 😷

A Blackstone VOA or UOA is going to tell you very little beyond elements that can be picked up via spectrographic analysis. Non-metallic compounds won't register nor will base oil composition. This is not a tool designed for, or valid for contrasting formulas in this manner.
Dealership wanted $40/quart for Mopar … so I bought genuine ZF fluid for $22/quart which is still a rip for Grp3

Back